Cookies, Cookies, wipe out your Cookies (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
They changed their terms though and it is no longer binding until you go into the shop and confirm the order (para 4.3 of their Broken Link Removed).
My point being, can they change their 'terms and conditions' and ignore the law? Must check this with trading standards.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My point being, can they change their 'terms and conditions' and ignore the law? Must check this with trading standards.
I believe until you actually take possession of the goods from a retailer you do not own them.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I believe until you actually take possession of the goods from a retailer you do not own them.
And so the consumer gets it between the legs because of Argos sharp practice. Unbelievable. :confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And so the consumer gets it between the legs because of Argos sharp practice. Unbelievable. :confused:
No ... they have just decided to do what other places do and not be so willing to roll over to customers ... nothing to do with sharp practice. I've had stuff I've bought and paid for but not yet received refunded because the price had changed from other sellers.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I believe (but could be suffering from disjointed memory syndrome) that an advert isn't an offer, it's an invitation to treat, so isn't binding.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nay and thrice nay :D2 They haven't ignored the law by changing the terms because the contract isn't made unless those terms are met.
Para 4.3.a) allows them to cancel/refund an order if they have made a genuine mistake in pricing (as with my earlier example).
Para 4.3.b) means that the customer can always claim the lowest price so long as proof of reservation is held - the reservation price if the store price has risen(as in your example where the manageress corrected the counter staff) and the store price if it has fallen.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I believe (but could be suffering from disjointed memory syndrome) that an advert isn't an offer, it's an invitation to treat, so isn't binding.
That is correct but the contract is made (and the price held unless there are terms to the contrary) when both parties accept the offer to purchase in response to that invitation.
When Argos had the big problem their terms didn't exclude contracts made which relied on their genuine mistake. Now the terms do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
yes its something like that ... a retailer for example doesn't have to sell something to you at all if they don't want to ... maybe when Tootsy wants something and they see him in person that's enough to not want his business ...:D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
customers
I think that says it all. (y) I thought they were the people that shops looked after, because they wanted their custom.
Of course it's sharp practice. You see a product online. You order it. As soon as you order it, they up the price. So you have to ask, was that item ever meant to be sold at the lower price?
Example: I advertise a Honda generator, as new, for £10.00 on here. When the guy comes round to pick it up, I tell him the price is now £100.00, and of coarse that's fine? It stinks. Its akin to fraud. They never meant to sell it at the advertised price in the first place!. :mad:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That is correct but the contract is made (and the price held unless there are terms to the contrary) when both parties accept the offer to purchase in response to that invitation.
When Argos had the big problem their terms didn't exclude contracts made which relied on their genuine mistake. Now the terms do.
Does there not have to be 'consideration' paid by the offeree before the contract's made? Or has that changed in the xxx-odd years since I knew anything, & the arrival of credit cards, phone & online purchasing, etc? - or do the credit card details count as that?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Cooked some marmite and cheese scones in it, very yummy straight from the oven.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Cooked some marmite and cheese scones in it, very yummy straight from the oven.
now I understand why you wanted a cheap cooker ... I wouldn't want to cook marmite scones in my 'good' one!:eek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't delete this Kookie, remember him ?

image.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
you own them when you pay for them. so if you pay online ,thats the price.
... I beg to differ ... look at the distance selling info.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does there not have to be 'consideration' paid by the offeree before the contract's made? Or has that changed in the xxx-odd years since I knew anything, & the arrival of credit cards, phone & online purchasing, etc? - or do the credit card details count as that?
Yes, credit card counts.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
The Rip off Britain program this morning, which has already been mentioned, did a trial over quite a long period, if my memory is reliable. They checked lots of prices on airlines using one computer where cookies were cleared after every session and one where they were not. The conclusion was there was absolutely no difference.
They also had someone involved in the industry who made a good case asking why on earth would they put up prices just because someone returned to a website. If someone didn't book on the first visit why would putting up the price encourage them to book on the second visit?
The explanation for what people see is cheap tickets are usually limited in number. If you don't buy on the first visit then between then and when you return the cheap tickets have all been sold and the price has gone up.
Here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04psmpq

Reactions: DBK
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
now I understand why you wanted a cheap cooker ... I wouldn't want to cook marmite scones in my 'good' one!:eek:

Just cooked another eight and a soda bread loaf, hot from the oven with butter, yum yum.:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
With airlines the initial price is cheapest & rises every x seats sold . With easyjet it used to be every 8 seats .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never had any problems either, probably because it doesn't contain any spyware so long as it is downloaded from the Piriform site.
Many free programs come with bundled toolbars, which may be picked up as spyware by some software, but there is always an option not to install them with reputable software like CCleaner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back