Cookies, Cookies, wipe out your Cookies (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,
I appreciate I am preaching to the converted but even for this bloke, a salutary lesson has been learnt.

Today I discovered a cracking price to cross the ditch, (La Manche) for our hols. I apologise for not giving the details but the more that look at what I was looking at, BF will ensure the price stays high. We had already booked, but, after discussing it with SWMBO we decided to alter our ferries (NO fee HA! via BF)

I can only assume that because I didn't wipe out the cookies, BF put the price up £40. They then compounded the felony by then asking an extra £70 on top of the original £40 when I tried again (because they told me to do so via their web page)

The result is that cookies have been wiped and I won't go on the BF site until I get home when I will try again from the home computer.
AFTER I HAVE WIPED THE COOKIES ON THAT ONE FIRST!!!.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I know the conspiracy theorists follow the cookie road, but it's more likely the load factor software used by all airline and ferry operators are the source of your problem. Try moving the time or date a bit and see what happens.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There was an article on the holiday ripoff prog with Angela Ripon and sidekicks this morning.
A lady found a cheap flight and as she went to book it online it instantly jumped another £50 per ticket, they're trying any method to rip us off, theivin b stewards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There was an article on the holiday ripoff prog with Angela Ripon and sidekicks this morning.
A lady found a cheap flight and as she went to book it online it instantly jumped another £50 per ticket, they're trying any method to rip us off, theivin b stewards.
Had that in Argos last year. Saw this power washer I wanted, reduced to £95.00. elected to 'click and collect', at their Preston store. "That will be £125.00 please" said the girl. Then we had this pantomime thing, "95, no 125. 95, no........." I produced the receipt I had got on line, they still didnt want to know. Enter manageress, who then said I could have it at £95.00. They had put the price up nano seconds after my purchase. :mad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Had that in Argos last year. Saw this power washer I wanted, reduced to £95.00. elected to 'click and collect', at their Preston store. "That will be £125.00 please" said the girl. Then we had this pantomime thing, "95, no 125. 95, no........." I produced the receipt I had got on line, they still didnt want to know. Enter manageress, who then said I could have it at £95.00. They had put the price up nano seconds after my purchase. :mad:
The change to "you pay the price in store not the price when you order" terms came about after Argos advertised something really cheap on-line (£500 TV for a fiver or some such) and lost a packet when all their stock was bought at the advertised price.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

It's bloody dishonest toots :mad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The change to "you pay the price in store not the price when you order" terms came about after Argos advertised something really cheap on-line (£500 TV for a fiver or some such) and lost a packet when all their stock was bought at the advertised price.
Well, my attitude to that would be 'you own it, then'. If an item is advertised at a certain price, you order it, and that order is accepted, then both buyer and seller have entered into a binding contract/relationship. They cant just honk the price up after agreeing to sell it to you. That illegal.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
beware though, clear your cookies, lose all your saved passwords o_O

probably not a bad thing for security, but a total nightmare if memory is not what it was :(

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bin my cookies when they're out of date :)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I know the conspiracy theorists follow the cookie road, but it's more likely the load factor software used by all airline and ferry operators are the source of your problem. Try moving the time or date a bit and see what happens.

There's no conspiracy theory needed when the price I saw this morning increased by £110 this evening, then, after wiping out the cookies it reduced by £66.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
i could take this personally you know :D

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Clear cookies whenever we are booking....anything.....

Saved a lot over time.

....currently in South Africa for 3 months.....say no more!!!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision

probably not a bad thing for security, but a total nightmare if memory is not what it was :(
I've found a system that I can always work out my password and they're all different ;)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I thought the prices went up due to the number of hits the page got, never knew it was the cookies.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Typing this on a laptop with Chrome.
Top right hand side on any page is three dots running vertically. Left click on the three dots and it opens a dropdown menu.
Near the bottom it says, 'Settings'. Left click on that and opens up another page.
At the bottom of that page is the phrase,"Show Advanced Settings" Click on that, scroll down the page and under the Heading "Settings" There is a large box there with the words 'Clear Browsing Data'.
If you click on that it opens up yet another box which allows you to check or uncheck boxes which will be self explanatory such as ' Browsing History' 'Download History' Etc.
That page also allows you to set the period of time you wish to clear starting at one hour and going right up to 'The beginning of time.
You obviously set that BEFORE you press the 'Clear button'
I hope the above makes sense. As my grandson says. You can't damage a computer by pressing buttons.

Deleted User

Not on Google Chrome, I regularly clear cookies and passwords are always remembered but have to be re entered, which auto fill, I only have passwords remembered on unimportant sites anyway.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Bought a cheap cooker from argos, ticket price was £130, went to pay and it came up £109. Result! :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OK so how do you clear the cookies do you just clear the browsing History?

On I pad that's the only way I know, on Windows laptop you can clear cookies only and leave browsing history.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Rip off Britain program this morning, which has already been mentioned, did a trial over quite a long period, if my memory is reliable. They checked lots of prices on airlines using one computer where cookies were cleared after every session and one where they were not. The conclusion was there was absolutely no difference.
They also had someone involved in the industry who made a good case asking why on earth would they put up prices just because someone returned to a website. If someone didn't book on the first visit why would putting up the price encourage them to book on the second visit?
The explanation for what people see is cheap tickets are usually limited in number. If you don't buy on the first visit then between then and when you return the cheap tickets have all been sold and the price has gone up.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not if you use 'Last Pass'. Brilliant bit of kit. Randomly generates passwords for you, and remembers them, however, forget your master password, and your DOOMED!

Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i used lastpass for years and it was brilliant, then one day it stopped recognising my password even though it was correct. no way to recover your account, so thats it gone

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
i used lastpass for years and it was brilliant, then one day it stopped recognising my password even though it was correct. no way to recover your account, so thats it gone
I use last pass,that would be a nightmare!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, my attitude to that would be 'you own it, then'. If an item is advertised at a certain price, you order it, and that order is accepted, then both buyer and seller have entered into a binding contract/relationship. They cant just honk the price up after agreeing to sell it to you. That illegal.
When they advertised the item at the wrong price they were stuck because it was a binding contract under their terms at the time. They changed their terms though and it is no longer binding until you go into the shop and confirm the order (para 4.3 of their Broken Link Removed).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back