Contaminated fuel - Tesco

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PP Bear, Sep 24, 2014.

1. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

BBC News reported that a number of vehicles damaged after being filled up at a Tesco petrol station. They've shut the station and the cameras showed extensive work being conducted to see the root cause of the contamination. Tesco spokesman said that they would compensate any motorist who's vehicle was damaged as a result of filling up at the station.

It also went on to say that the reports of other vehicles suffering problems after filling at other outlets were not related....hmmmm I have to wonder.

Won't be filling at Tesos for a little while then.

2. richr

richr Funster

Not the first time its happend

3. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

thankfully i drove past on friday and didnt stop for fuel. was going to as got 12p off a litre to use this month. thought i would wait a few days till i needed more, so a bigger saving.

as you say, diggers are on the forecourt taking out the storage tank as we speak. not looking good for tesco

5. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Now you tell me, filled up the van at Tesco yesterday. :mad:

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

not at branksome near poole in dorset I hope.

tesco buys millions of litres of fuel a year and its rare to get a dirty batch. odds are you will be ok so long as you used a forecourt well away from poole

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Digging the forecourt up? Knackered storage tank allowing ground water into the fuel? Can't think of why other than contamination.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Looks like we should give it a few more days before buying bargain priced Tesco shares :D

tempted yesterday by lowest price for 10 years

• Like Like x 1
  9. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Inconclusive tests do not make you rip up a forecourt they know exactly what is wrong

• Like Like x 2
  10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Correctomondo, and it can't be cured by pumping it out and refilling it with good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Tescos.. I have just had HORRENDOUS dealings with the thieving lying scumbag company
    I am willing to bet it will take AGES to get anything out of them and whatever folk get will not fully cover folks out of pocket expenses

Just a heads up folks.. If you have a Tesco mobile at the moment.. look to get out of it as soon as possible.. Will not say anything more at the moment but will give a full update etc on Monday

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Any more bad publicity and I'll expect to see Tesco Directors artificially inflating their profits.....................err:D.
    I also expect that all those small producers, dairy farmers and suppliers screwed by this monolith will be smiling today.:sneaky: What goes round comes round!............................................. Every Little Helps!:D

13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Such hatred against Tesco!

They are a successful company which employs PEOPLE. Those PEOPLE rely on the business they work for to earn a living. Those PEOPLE also try their hardest to serve the customers (YOU LOT!) to the best of their ability.

All this venom you sprout is equally directed at these employees. You wish for the downfall of Tesco but you have little respect for the PEOPLE who will suffer if it all comes crashing down.

You all benefit from this monster you helped create with your desire for the cheapest food for centuries, all conveniently available 24 hrs a day. By cheapest, I mean in relation to wages.

Jaws, you obviously have a huge problem with the company. Do they send out granny rape squads into Thetford or something?

All I am saying is that if you all have problem, it seems to be more about envy of Tescos success rather than anything else.

• Like Like x 4
  14. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Tescos also don't own refineries!

Any screw up with the fuel is either down to a damaged tank or their supplier. Do you honestly believe that some form of negligence by Tesco employees at the filling station is to blame for this?

I could point to a case when I had to strip my fuel system on my Capri in the late 80s due to sand contamination after filling up at a Texaco station.

Nobody would be interested in that though because it isn't about knocking a successful company.

15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

A couple of points here....

Last time around it was an inadvertent addition of a diesel anti foaming additive to gasoline in the tank farm, causing the oxygen sensors to fail. Two cars in our family were affected and both were rapidly and efficiently compensated by Tesco for the full costs of the repairs and the fuel. My brother and his wife had no complaints at all about the way they were treated. Our staff had the job of sampling about 120 fuel stations belonging mostly to Tesco and Morrissons but some other affected stations to establish contamination source. The analysis via ICP was conclusive and costly (for them!). Multiple brands affected as supply of fuel comes from few sources and one storage facility will provide the same blend to many different brands from the same tankage

This time - as stated above - they are digging up a forecourt so it indicates that the problem is very isolated and some sort of tank rupture which is unusual. The environmental people will be crawling all over em..........

• Like Like x 2
  16. deand

deand Read Only Funster

also be aware of southern ireland.
    agricultural fuel [ coloured green of course is being stolen from farms washed with acid to remove the colour and then sold back
    to garage. we were advised to stick to well known makes texaco total etc
    deand

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Acid ? Thats a new one..
    More usually done by passing the stuff through a barrel filled with kitty litter ( yes, really !! )
    Works with red and green.
    We had a spate of fly tipped red dyed kitty litter a few years back !

• Like Like x 1
  18. tofo

tofo Funster

i dont use tesco
    its my own protest at them being the cause of the demise
    of many high street shops the consequent
    losss of jobs on the highstreets

free parking cheeper prices sell everything and con the planners its what is needed

then put there prices up when the competition falls away
    result high streets full of estate agents take away and charity shops

at the moment i use asda or the coop
    when i move on monday that will change to local shops that exist on a high street you can park on without a charge
    with a butchers and get this a fishmongers
    :RollEyes:

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

sorry to disappoint but the same could be said about Asda and Co-op too!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The cynic in me thinks that some oik from Asda went and put something in the Tesco fuel station holding tanks to make people stop buying the Tesco fuel and instead go for Asda fuel instead! :D