contact, ignition, chocks away (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
After a lot of good advice from the forum members. Friday is the big day away for a week or maybe more

Van serviced, new tyres, payload uprated, MIFI fitted

For the first time after years of motorcycle touring we are setting off with no hotels booked or route planed
just a van full of food and wine. Heading north to Scotland. I know the weather can be foul, but again after years of motorcycle touring I don't care, I will be warm and dry and definitely have somewhere to sleep.

So thank you to all of you who answered questions we asked and those who's posts help us make other decisions.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Sounds like an adventure, have a great time.

Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Hope you have not flogged your bike, I couldn't be without one.
Welcome by the way.(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G
Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
Were back home. And it went very well. The weather was sunny for the first part of the trip only raining on our second day on Harris, then more or less all the time.
So what did we learn on our first big trip

On the way to a campsite at Kirkby Lonsdale
Low hanging tree branches on minor roads, not good, lost a bit of roof bar trim on the Burstner. from the look of the undamaged side it could have been designed to trap a branch then break.

What we learned In Scotland
Wild camping is being discouraged in the Trossachs so had two days on a campsite at Loch Lomond. wine o'clock and watching the sun set over the Loch. Also and forgive me ladies if I am not correct, only men appear empty the toilet cassettes
onto Skye where wild camping it is also being discouraged but we found a good spot on the east coast, and next day we could not find an open camp site however a farmer who kindly let us stay at the farm for no charge as he wasn't open till Easter.

What we learned in the Hebrides
Harris no problem with low hanging branches, no trees, no bushes, lots of rock. lots and lots of rock Very beautiful despite the lack of greenery. We also became proficient in single track roads the beach campsite was at the end of 14 miles of single track road, and that after 30 miles of single track coat road. Not to many encounters with cars but highland cattle blocking the road, how do you get them to move? tried shouting but they just looked at me as if I was daft. Fiona suggested I get out and "herd" them I suggested something else and tried a with more forceful "get your arse out of the way" which oddly worked. In the morning on the way out plenty of wild deer. Also saw an eagle eating road kill.

In contrast Harris have created parking bays for Motorhomes and request a £5 donation by paypal, which had to wait for our return because despite have O2 sims in the phone and a three sim in the MiFi we rarely had a signal whilst on Harris or Lewis.

Lewis also very beautiful and much greener than Harris but, good grief the wind. I am sure that when it was also raining if we opened both the cab windows the rain went straight through. On our final night on lewis I lay awake thinking it cannot possible blow over it weights 3.5 tons but at three in the morning the logic didn't really help.

We had planned to be away longer than 12 days but had to return home due to the death of a friends mother.

In conclusion.
Thanks to the advice, comments and tips on the forum we were pretty well prepared.
The Burstner works well and off grid living also worked well. We should have doubled the amount of wine we took, would probably still had to buy more, and whether sat outside watching the sun set, or sat inside with a gale lashing the van with rain all warm and cosy it think this motorhome traveling may well catch on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0405.JPG
    IMG_0405.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for sharing the photos and the trip sounds great. I expect you will be planning your next one asap!
The world is your oyster as they say!!! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back