Condensation

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by Carters, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Carters

Carters Read Only Funster

Does anyone have a successful solution to condensation? We are a family of four living in our 6 berth motorhome in the UK. Each morning we have condensation on the windows and damp under the cushions despite closing all blinds, covering cab windows with silver screens and fitting an extra curtain across the cab area. We are tempted to buy a dehumidifier but hesitate at the possible noise it will create.

Has anyone found a good solution?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

ventilation.....its the only way to do it.

leave the roof vent open a little and a window or two, away from where you sit/sleep to avoid drafts.

dehumidifiers only really work in a sealed area, as soon as you remove moist air its simply replaced by more moist air.

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

agree, ventilation is the answer..

re dehumidifiers.. I agree with John but only when the outside air is hot with a high humidity..

In winter when it is cold and dry outside it will lower the van humidity to the same level as outside.. but from a purely practical point they are big and quite noisy and require the exhaust tube vented outside, which means leaving a window partially open..

• Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the other thing is more insulation double glazing etc.
    also having lathes nder mattresses makes a differance.
    best cure is go south but thats not always possible i know.
    the hippy comunity do it with wood burners but they have draw backs . some burn coal or smokeless fuels. makes a very dry heat.

5. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Leave as many things open as possible to let air circulate. Roof lights, windows cracked, toilet roof light etc. Four people generate a relatively huge amount of "vapour" in a small space.

When I was growing up in Scotland in the winter With no central heating. In fact no heating or double glazing we always left the window open at night. Close it and you got masses of condensation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Ventilation

Ventilation

Ventilation

• Like Like x 2
  7. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

How the hell do you get a lathe under your mattress ?
    Mind you..... useful for making a few wooden bowls .

barry:Smile:

ok no one likes a smart ass....I'll get m' coat

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cant spell the word ,long strips of wood about 1.5 inches by an inch by ?
    come on latts . mind gone tell me the word .
    you know what i mean. they can also be used for child training hee hee.
    just looked it up in a dictionary laths.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

The only place I get condensation is the windowscreen and side windows of the cab. External silver screen fixes this.

Now I have a squeegy and big cloth as I don't use an external screen anymore.

10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

With enough ice on the inside to create artwork. Aye, I remember those days well Callum. :Laughing:

To the OP, it's all been said in the advice above, ie, ample ventilation :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Cardboard under the bed can sort that problem. Corrugated cardboard (like bpxes are made of) the thicker the better. If you can find a box from an upright freezer this will fit a double bed.

The theory is that the cardboard absorbs the moisture coming through the bed and the corrugations allow air flow to take the moisture away.

Sounds a crazy idea but it works.

The wooden slats this is good too but might be harder to source.

(if the cardboard gets soggy wet stop using it - you've got other problems)

If you cook with gas - open the windows. Lots of moisture in gas and lots of moisture created by cooking (boiling water, etc.)

Get a passive dehumidifier (or two). It's like a box of silica gel (like the packets you get in electronic goods only bigger). They're not magic but they do help a bit.

But the best of all is .... ventilation. As per all the other advice.

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you get a copy of John Wickersham's book on motorhome maintenance, published by Haynes Manuals, he shows a few solutions for improving ventilation under beds.

13. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

AS everbody has already said ventilation...air movement......... but this will help
    For the moment until you can purchase the proper plastic unit place a few Tupperware containers...two or three one on the dash one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom with normal salt in that will absorb the moister...in France all the supermarkets sell them so I would think B&Q and others will also in the UK

something like this unit cheap and cheerful, no electric, no noise,

http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/DRI_Z_AIR_Dehumidifier_Unit_p/16133.htm

what they are is a plastic box 15cm x 10cm x 150cm with a lid that will allow the air in (the lid has holes in) the crystals are in a absorbent bag and sit on a plastic shelf half way up the plastic box they absorb the moisture which drains through into the box.....empty the box when near full....you buy bags of crystal to replace when the old one is finished /no good any more
    Mel

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  14. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Theseare some in France... but they are in many shapes, forms and prices,

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ABSORBEUR-DHUMID...tementdelAir&hash=item33620dc796#ht_500wt_789

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Petit-Absorbeur-...ementdelAir&hash=item2eb875df16#ht_2469wt_901

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Absorbeur-dhumid...OutilsaMain&hash=item5ae2e7e94e#ht_1374wt_772

http://cgi.ebay.fr/absorbeur-dhumid...nElectrique&hash=item2560df493e#ht_500wt_1028

http://cgi.ebay.fr/RECHARGES-ABSORB...tementdelAir&hash=item334bd47d0f#ht_500wt_789

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Absorbeur-d-humi...mentdelAir&hash=item45fd2e5e4a#ht_1469wt_1011

Mel ....look in B&Q...Wicks...Do IT all...:thumb:

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Each person breathes out aprox 1 1/2 pints of water per night :Eeek: Stop breathing :BigGrin:-- already been said ventilation :thumb: Swap solid ply bed bases for slated lath types-easy to make- :thumb:
    terry