Free Member
Oct 14, 2011
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1990
Does anyone have a successful solution to condensation? We are a family of four living in our 6 berth motorhome in the UK. Each morning we have condensation on the windows and damp under the cushions despite closing all blinds, covering cab windows with silver screens and fitting an extra curtain across the cab area. We are tempted to buy a dehumidifier but hesitate at the possible noise it will create.

Has anyone found a good solution?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ventilation.....its the only way to do it.

leave the roof vent open a little and a window or two, away from where you sit/sleep to avoid drafts.

dehumidifiers only really work in a sealed area, as soon as you remove moist air its simply replaced by more moist air.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ventilation.....its the only way to do it.

leave the roof vent open a little and a window or two, away from where you sit/sleep to avoid drafts.

dehumidifiers only really work in a sealed area, as soon as you remove moist air its simply replaced by more moist air.

agree, ventilation is the answer..

re dehumidifiers.. I agree with John but only when the outside air is hot with a high humidity..

In winter when it is cold and dry outside it will lower the van humidity to the same level as outside.. but from a purely practical point they are big and quite noisy and require the exhaust tube vented outside, which means leaving a window partially open..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the other thing is more insulation double glazing etc.
also having lathes nder mattresses makes a differance.
best cure is go south but thats not always possible i know.
the hippy comunity do it with wood burners but they have draw backs . some burn coal or smokeless fuels. makes a very dry heat.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Leave as many things open as possible to let air circulate. Roof lights, windows cracked, toilet roof light etc. Four people generate a relatively huge amount of "vapour" in a small space.

When I was growing up in Scotland in the winter With no central heating. In fact no heating or double glazing we always left the window open at night. Close it and you got masses of condensation.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
the other thing is more insulation double glazing etc.
also having lathes nder mattresses makes a differance.

How the hell do you get a lathe under your mattress ?
Mind you..... useful for making a few wooden bowls .

barry:Smile:

ok no one likes a smart ass....I'll get m' coat

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant spell the word ,long strips of wood about 1.5 inches by an inch by ?
come on latts . mind gone tell me the word .
you know what i mean. they can also be used for child training hee hee.
just looked it up in a dictionary laths.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The only place I get condensation is the windowscreen and side windows of the cab. External silver screen fixes this.

Now I have a squeegy and big cloth as I don't use an external screen anymore.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped........In fact no heating or double glazing we always left the window open at night. Close it and you got masses of condensation.
With enough ice on the inside to create artwork. Aye, I remember those days well Callum. :roflmto:

To the OP, it's all been said in the advice above, ie, ample ventilation :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Cardboard under the bed can sort that problem. Corrugated cardboard (like bpxes are made of) the thicker the better. If you can find a box from an upright freezer this will fit a double bed.

The theory is that the cardboard absorbs the moisture coming through the bed and the corrugations allow air flow to take the moisture away.

Sounds a crazy idea but it works.

The wooden slats this is good too but might be harder to source.

(if the cardboard gets soggy wet stop using it - you've got other problems)

If you cook with gas - open the windows. Lots of moisture in gas and lots of moisture created by cooking (boiling water, etc.)

Get a passive dehumidifier (or two). It's like a box of silica gel (like the packets you get in electronic goods only bigger). They're not magic but they do help a bit.

But the best of all is .... ventilation. As per all the other advice.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you get a copy of John Wickersham's book on motorhome maintenance, published by Haynes Manuals, he shows a few solutions for improving ventilation under beds.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Does anyone have a successful solution to condensation? We are a family of four living in our 6 berth motorhome in the UK. Each morning we have condensation on the windows and damp under the cushions despite closing all blinds, covering cab windows with silver screens and fitting an extra curtain across the cab area. We are tempted to buy a dehumidifier but hesitate at the possible noise it will create.

Has anyone found a good solution?

AS everbody has already said ventilation...air movement......... but this will help
For the moment until you can purchase the proper plastic unit place a few Tupperware containers...two or three one on the dash one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom with normal salt in that will absorb the moister...in France all the supermarkets sell them so I would think B&Q and others will also in the UK

something like this unit cheap and cheerful, no electric, no noise,

what they are is a plastic box 15cm x 10cm x 150cm with a lid that will allow the air in (the lid has holes in) the crystals are in a absorbent bag and sit on a plastic shelf half way up the plastic box they absorb the moisture which drains through into the box.....empty the box when near full....you buy bags of crystal to replace when the old one is finished /no good any more
Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
AS everbody has already said ventilation...air movement......... but this will help
For the moment until you can purchase the proper plastic unit place a few Tupperware containers...two or three one on the dash one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom with normal salt in that will absorb the moister...in France all the supermarkets sell them so I would think B&Q and others will also in the UK

something like this unit cheap and cheerful, no electric, no noise,

what they are is a plastic box 15cm x 10cm x 150cm with a lid that will allow the air in (the lid has holes in) the crystals are in a absorbent bag and sit on a plastic shelf half way up the plastic box they absorb the moisture which drains through into the box.....empty the box when near full....you buy bags of crystal to replace when the old one is finished /no good any more
Mel

Theseare some in France... but they are in many shapes, forms and prices,

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Mel ....look in B&Q...Wicks...Do IT all...:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Each person breathes out aprox 1 1/2 pints of water per night :Eeek: Stop breathing ::bigsmile:-- already been said ventilation :thumb: Swap solid ply bed bases for slated lath types-easy to make- :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back