Coming Back To Motorhoming

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by webbysdad, Jan 23, 2013.

1. webbysdad

webbysdad Read Only Funster

Hi all, I have just started looking on here to get info about current and recent motorhomes. About 25 years ago I converted a Mk 11 Transit with an elevating roof and windows and a home-built interior. We used this for several years while our four boys were small(ish)!
    As a lover of subtly modded vehicles I kept it looking standard but fitted a 3-litre V6 from a Granada along with the transit 4-speed + overdrive box and a Zodiac diff. Consequently it was a hoot to drive! Fuel consumption was about 19 mpg but it would easily keep up with cars and cruise quietly at 70 mph. It was only used for holidays so I wasn't too concerned about the fuel consumption. As the boys got bigger we resorted to a pup tent for one, or later, two of them. It finally went to the great scrapyard in the sky and we replaced it with a Commer for a couple of years. I can't remember the make of the conversion but it was a factory job with a solid sided elevating roof. After that got sold we camped in a tent for several years. We are now in a position to buy a coachbuilt motorhome for my wife and I (and possibly for the boys to use occaisonally). Any insights from the members on here will be read with interest.

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Do I assume the boys are grown up and with driving licenses and you are thinking of them using it.. ??

If so, just be aware if they passed test after 1997 the will be restricted to 3500kg so if they are that may limit your search..

Good luck and welcome back to the fold.. :thumb:

3. Spenders

Spenders

Hi Webbysdad,

Commer..... that brings back memories! My grandad used to have a minibus version long before people carriers were invented!!

I'm new here myself but it seems that there are plenty of folks that will be able to help you out.

Simon

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi and welcome to Fun, a lot depends on your budget, new or pre-owned?

Peter

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to fun, we like you started off with a conversion had lots of fun with it. I would do lots of research before deciding which van would suit your requirements.
    Would not make to many promises about lending it out until you have it a while, they are quite complex vehicles so not so easy to lend.
    Do ask any questions, someone usually has a answer. :Smile:

6. webbysdad

Thanks for the welcome. We are intending to look around at possible motorhomes over the next few months so, hopefully, we don't make too many mistakes. Layouts are quite subjective I guess, but practical knowledge about base vehicles and fittings etc. will be something I will try and research on here. Budget will be around £20k hopefully so pre-owned not new but looking around there seems to be quite a variation. Working out what is better, an older top quality or newer lower-spec MH is just one of the conundrums! Still, it will pass several hours finding out, I reckon! :Smile:

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well you can always come and visit us and get even more confused !

Peter

8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

:party2::welcome::party2:

9. webbysdad

Thanks Peter but confusion is not what I need......I've got enough of that already!! :BigGrin:

10. edgy

edgy Funster

Hi and Welcome. The best place to look for a motorhome is at one of the shows. DO NOT BUY ONE THOUGH, the best thing is once you have seen what you like ask people on here what do they think about it and then look in the usual places ie auto trader, fleebay and guaranteed you will find one to compare with. If you buy from a reputable dealer though you will probaly get a reasonable warranty with it. There are so many different choices it is quite a minefield . Remember before you purchase it is a lot of money and make sure it is definetly what you want .But once you have got what you want it will be one of the best decisions you have made . THE WORLD IS THEN YOUR OYSTER . Have FUN:thumb:

11. stevensson10

stevensson10

stevensson10

fiat ducato the besr there is:thumb:

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

• Having had a few Ducatos I would tend to say that the Mercedes is the best chassis, and is rear wheel drive so more grip on wet grass.
      However the Ducato is used on far more conversions so gives a wider choice.​

13. f6c

f6c Funster

welcome

Welcome aboard:Wink: