Comfortmatic gearbox

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Xabia, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Seeking comments please from owners of Fiat based Motorhomes fitted with this gearbox.

I currently have a Hymer with a manual box and have been cogitating about changing to another but this time with the robotised auto. The question is, I have been used to driving automatic cars for years and wonder whether the Comfortmatic is similar in use or is it a different driving experience. Having had an early Smart which had a gear change which was 'interesting' to say the least I wouldn't want a box that did not change smoothly.

Would you recommend this transmission and are there any 'characteristics' that need to be borne in mind?

Mike

2. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

My husband is a "dyed in the wool" manual gearchange user. No way would he ever have an automatic. So much so he even has a car without synchromesh. As it happpens the camper we bought last year came with the comformatic option. Let's just say he is a convert!
    Of course that doesn't really answer your question, but we both find it really easy to drive.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Xabia

Xabia Funster

That was quick Annie. Thanks for the response, that's one positive, now awaiting a few more.

Mike

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I am pretty ancient but I've never driven a car without sync. Plenty without sync on first gear, plenty with token sync but NONE - OK what is it ?

5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We took delivery of a new van with the Comfortmatic gearbox at the end of June. Have just returned from a trip to France and it now has a little over 2,200 miles on the clock, so early days.

And yes, loving it. Makes travelling so much more relaxing and about 98% of the gear changes are smooth enough. It just occasionally has its 'moments', especially pulling away up steep hills - but not a significant issue at all. I think I might get into the habit of over-riding the auto in especially tricky situations and change gear manually.

I also have a Mercedes C-class with a 7-speed 'proper' automatic gearbox, and whilst the van is a little different, it does the job and is a vast improvement on the manual gearbox in the last van (an X250). I've no regrets whatsoever. And my wife really enjoys driving the camper now too - which is a bonus.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I'm on my second Comfortmatic and I wouldn't now go back to manual. I wouldn't have bought the first one if I'd had the opportunity to specify, but I'm glad I was compelled to by everything else being right with the van.

The only thing it can't do is anticipate the need for a gear change, but apart from that it changes gear pretty much when I would. There is also an 'Up' button, which is used in hilly conditions and alters the timing of gear changes to handle the hills better. Oh, and it also changes down when the vehicle starts to overrun on a downhill slope.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I'd hate a manual, no going back for me after over three and a half years with comfortmatic

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Thanks for all the replies which are much appreciated- looks like that decision has been made!

Mike

9. Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie Funster

You have probably caught me out on a technicality - you have to double de clutch and line up the revs with the gears etc, not sure if that means no synchromesh. A pre war MG

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I have driven automatic cars as long as I can remember and love them.

When we bought our new moho in May it came with 3l Fiat and Comfortmatic gearbox, although I had never driven one previously.

Initially I found it somewhat strange and thought perhaps I had made a booboo and even considered changing back to a manual.

However, I have now covered 2500 miles with it, mostly with toad behind and have to say that now I have learned the quirkiness of the system I would not now return to a manual box.

last Friday I covered 250 miles from Northumberland to Norfolk in the most horrendous bank holiday road conditions and discovered just how relaxing the Comfotmatic is to drive, particularly in continuous stop start traffic .... No more stirring cogs for me!(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Having had RVs with a real automatic gearbox, torque converter etc and a car with the same , I find the Fiat comfortmatic second best.
    It saves a lot of work in traffic and general driving but is at times hesitant in changing gear and does not hold on hill start, handbrake is sometimes needed.
    I do still prefer it to a manual especially in traffic.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Model T.

13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I bough the Mercedes version of the Hymer because it has a PROPER AUTOMATIC gearbox, the 7G it is really a lot easier at most times, and can be held in a gear using the tiptronic facility is you need to do something a bit odd or awkward. I would not buy another manual again. BUT I still reach for the gear change and put my foot down in an imaginary clutch at junctions, I did not buy the FIAT one as the autochange box still has the clutch and it will wear out the same or maybe even faster than a manual.

• Useful Useful x 3
  14. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I used to drive a Foden eight wheeler with a fourteen litre Rolls Royce engine connected to a sixteen speed none synchro gearbox, "interesting" when fully loaded. :eek::LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Heavy double de clutching 16 speed, is that the origin of your forum name :whistle:;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

Iv had my comformatic now a year and love it.As others have said it takes some
    getting used to if you have an automatic car,which I have.But as others have said
    once you get used to its little niggles its a great gearbox and I wouldnt change it,
    and would definetly have another.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

Ditto, only just had mine 2nd time out, gets some getting used to , but again would not go back to manual

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

SWMBO has a smart and 3 different options on how to change gear. Mine is a Mii and manual.
    At work we have a mixture of automatic vehicles. Mercedes where it's 'push forward' change on T shaped gearstick. DAF, with a dash placed button. Iveco with several dash mounted push buttons, Scania with stalk based gearshift but also a clutch and there are clutchless versions and so on except mine. Lovely little Volvo with a good manual box and especially helpful when in hilly area. OK, I do like automatic boxes but I can't knock driving a manual at work then going home in a manual. When I used to drive the autos, many a time I wanted my car or moho (also manual) to change itself. When in Eaton twin splitter, changing gear without using clutch. It's easier having manual, (FOR ME), until they all change.
    Preference? Automatic but unless I change my Exsis (that isn't going to happen anytime soon) then manual it has to be.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Fantastic bit of kit...

You can either go fully auto or..

Have the advantage of a manual without the clutch, brilliant for using the gears to slow you down.. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Which is a fantastic piece of kit?