Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Seeking comments please from owners of Fiat based Motorhomes fitted with this gearbox.

I currently have a Hymer with a manual box and have been cogitating about changing to another but this time with the robotised auto. The question is, I have been used to driving automatic cars for years and wonder whether the Comfortmatic is similar in use or is it a different driving experience. Having had an early Smart which had a gear change which was 'interesting' to say the least I wouldn't want a box that did not change smoothly.

Would you recommend this transmission and are there any 'characteristics' that need to be borne in mind?

Mike

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My husband is a "dyed in the wool" manual gearchange user. No way would he ever have an automatic. So much so he even has a car without synchromesh. As it happpens the camper we bought last year came with the comformatic option. Let's just say he is a convert!
Of course that doesn't really answer your question, but we both find it really easy to drive.

OP
OP
Xabia

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
That was quick Annie. Thanks for the response, that's one positive, now awaiting a few more.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We took delivery of a new van with the Comfortmatic gearbox at the end of June. Have just returned from a trip to France and it now has a little over 2,200 miles on the clock, so early days.

And yes, loving it. Makes travelling so much more relaxing and about 98% of the gear changes are smooth enough. It just occasionally has its 'moments', especially pulling away up steep hills - but not a significant issue at all. I think I might get into the habit of over-riding the auto in especially tricky situations and change gear manually.

I also have a Mercedes C-class with a 7-speed 'proper' automatic gearbox, and whilst the van is a little different, it does the job and is a vast improvement on the manual gearbox in the last van (an X250). I've no regrets whatsoever. And my wife really enjoys driving the camper now too - which is a bonus.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I'm on my second Comfortmatic and I wouldn't now go back to manual. I wouldn't have bought the first one if I'd had the opportunity to specify, but I'm glad I was compelled to by everything else being right with the van.

The only thing it can't do is anticipate the need for a gear change, but apart from that it changes gear pretty much when I would. There is also an 'Up' button, which is used in hilly conditions and alters the timing of gear changes to handle the hills better. Oh, and it also changes down when the vehicle starts to overrun on a downhill slope.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am pretty ancient but I've never driven a car without sync. Plenty without sync on first gear, plenty with token sync but NONE - OK what is it ?
You have probably caught me out on a technicality - you have to double de clutch and line up the revs with the gears etc, not sure if that means no synchromesh. A pre war MG

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have driven automatic cars as long as I can remember and love them.

When we bought our new moho in May it came with 3l Fiat and Comfortmatic gearbox, although I had never driven one previously.

Initially I found it somewhat strange and thought perhaps I had made a booboo and even considered changing back to a manual.

However, I have now covered 2500 miles with it, mostly with toad behind and have to say that now I have learned the quirkiness of the system I would not now return to a manual box.

last Friday I covered 250 miles from Northumberland to Norfolk in the most horrendous bank holiday road conditions and discovered just how relaxing the Comfotmatic is to drive, particularly in continuous stop start traffic .... No more stirring cogs for me!(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Having had RVs with a real automatic gearbox, torque converter etc and a car with the same , I find the Fiat comfortmatic second best.
It saves a lot of work in traffic and general driving but is at times hesitant in changing gear and does not hold on hill start, handbrake is sometimes needed.
I do still prefer it to a manual especially in traffic.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am pretty ancient but I've never driven a car without sync. Plenty without sync on first gear, plenty with token sync but NONE - OK what is it ?
Model T.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I bough the Mercedes version of the Hymer because it has a PROPER AUTOMATIC gearbox, the 7G it is really a lot easier at most times, and can be held in a gear using the tiptronic facility is you need to do something a bit odd or awkward. I would not buy another manual again. BUT I still reach for the gear change and put my foot down in an imaginary clutch at junctions, I did not buy the FIAT one as the autochange box still has the clutch and it will wear out the same or maybe even faster than a manual.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You have probably caught me out on a technicality - you have to double de clutch and line up the revs with the gears etc, not sure if that means no synchromesh. A pre war MG
I used to drive a Foden eight wheeler with a fourteen litre Rolls Royce engine connected to a sixteen speed none synchro gearbox, "interesting" when fully loaded. :eek::LOL::LOL:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I used to drive a Foden eight wheeler with a fourteen litre Rolls Royce engine connected to a sixteen speed none synchro gearbox, "interesting" when fully loaded. :eek::LOL::LOL:

Heavy double de clutching 16 speed, is that the origin of your forum name :whistle:;)

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Iv had my comformatic now a year and love it.As others have said it takes some
getting used to if you have an automatic car,which I have.But as others have said
once you get used to its little niggles its a great gearbox and I wouldnt change it,
and would definetly have another.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Ditto, only just had mine 2nd time out, gets some getting used to , but again would not go back to manual

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
SWMBO has a smart and 3 different options on how to change gear. Mine is a Mii and manual.
At work we have a mixture of automatic vehicles. Mercedes where it's 'push forward' change on T shaped gearstick. DAF, with a dash placed button. Iveco with several dash mounted push buttons, Scania with stalk based gearshift but also a clutch and there are clutchless versions and so on except mine. Lovely little Volvo with a good manual box and especially helpful when in hilly area. OK, I do like automatic boxes but I can't knock driving a manual at work then going home in a manual. When I used to drive the autos, many a time I wanted my car or moho (also manual) to change itself. When in Eaton twin splitter, changing gear without using clutch. It's easier having manual, (FOR ME), until they all change.
Preference? Automatic but unless I change my Exsis (that isn't going to happen anytime soon) then manual it has to be.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Fantastic bit of kit...

You can either go fully auto or..

Have the advantage of a manual without the clutch, brilliant for using the gears to slow you down.. (y)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The comformatic thingy..(y)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We got ours a few months ago and I am still getting used to it (I can never find the auto/1st gear setting straight away!). It's really good though so long as you accept its a bit like having an old man in the cab with you working the clutch pedal. We call our old man on the pedal Private Godfrey.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I had the early version of this in a Hymer, it never put a foot wrong but I never trusted it or liked it as itwould change down at 60mph if it felt a gradient. also never try to over ride it it wont do it if it's not ready, A bit heavy on fuel compared with a manual

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've always preferred manual boxes as I feel I have more control. Until we started touring France with their roundabouts at every junction.
Latest van (17 months old and 17k miles) has the Comfortmatic box and there is no way I would go back to a manual.
As others have said, it is just so much easier to drive and it's very rare that I need to override the selected gear.
So far I have never felt the need to use the manual option.

Richard.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
18 months with the comfortmatic now.

The only adjustment I have had to make is on traffic islands. It's slower than you will be changing from first to second in a manual. I have found I have to take extra care because of the slight lag engaging second and accelerating away. That said, I wouldn't want to go to manual again, it's so much more relaxing driving.

The feature they have that lets you engage a hilly route option is good, that is better at anticipating changes going up hill, and engaging a lower gear for engine braking effect going downhill, it keeps speed constant much better than in standard mode.

There is also a electronic hill start option I havnt used yet, still use the handbrake.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I'd like to see the young drivers of today with a twin splitter or a 13sp Fuller, I'm sure it would sound like a rendition of Rule Britannia. Everything is auto now, they even do their tests in an auto.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Had ours for approx 18 months from new and love it. I have been driving autos for 15 years and although the comfortmatic is not the same, it is great. A relaxing drive but I find it best in manual on steep inclines, especially when stuck behind a cyclist in the Yorkshire Dales:( I can only agree with the other comfortmatic users who have commented. (y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I've had mine for 4 months and 2009 miles ,it takes a bit of getting used to but a great piece of kit ,if you stop at the lights try to get into the habit of knocking it into neutral as this helps with clutch longevity

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have the comformatic gearbox with the 3 litre engine in our 2015 Hymer B678. So far we have done over 5,000 miles with it and I like it. There can be a bit of hesitation between first and second gears but it nevertheless makes for a much easier journey, especially when you are using local roads.

I have had automatics in my cars for over 20 years now. They have included "proper" automatics in a Citroen and Merc, semi-automatic (like the comformatic) in a Skoda (Audi design), and CVTs in several Hondas. I have been pleased with them all, and that now also includes the comformatic. Mind you I was not pleased with the cost when the Merc gearbox broke down, but that is another story :cry:.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Heavy double de clutching 16 speed, is that the origin of your forum name :whistle:;)
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Haha, no that was a biking accident but it was a long slog from bottom gear. Never thought much of it in those days but I wouldn't like to do it now :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back