Coachbuilt plus campervan, but no car? (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Love motorhoming, and have a 7 metre coachbuilt which is great for long trips to Europe. Comfy, space, storage, love it.
But, we don't feel like taking it out for the odd overnight, or even 2 or 3 days, now and again.
Have been thinking of selling our car - 2013 Skoda Yeti - and replacing it with what would have to be a much older camper, as a multipurpose vehicle.
Anyone done similar?, this is my idea and I need some ammunition with which to persuade OH. ;)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have a 7m van and use it for day trips as well as 2/3 nighters and continental touring with no problems.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry, I can't give you ammunition, since we use our 7m coachbuilt all the time for overnights! :D

I'm sure you'll come up with a convincer :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry @Candapack , I feel I must offer a translation (as I understood it) for the rest of the forum members :D

Candapack does not NEED a campervan, he WANTS one! He is hoping that we can offer him some sage words to convince his OH that the opposite is true ::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Buy a 5.5m or 6.0m PVC. You can do both things then, long trips and short trips.

Anything much smaller and you begin to have to compromise a lot on kitchen and loo space.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Ah well. Getting ours out and in requires organising neighbours and their cars and it's all a bit of a faff, but they're always very good about it.
We're probably being too reticent about it.
Thanks for your responses.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah well. Getting ours out and in requires organising neighbours and their cars and it's all a bit of a faff, but they're always very good about it.
We're probably being too reticent about it.
Thanks for your responses.
Move house - we did when we bought ours. :)

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry @Candapack , I feel I must offer a translation (as I understood it) for the rest of the forum members :D

Candapack does not NEED a campervan, he WANTS one! He is hoping that we can offer him some sage words to convince his OH that the opposite is true ::bigsmile:
This is very frightening, are you some sort of powerful psychic or what?
Yup, what I want is some sort of small camper that I can use to go hillwalking, just me and the dog, and don't have to spend 2 days filling with toiletries, cosmetics, and clothes that are needed in case we get a random invite to a Royal Garden Party. :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mazda bongo is ideal as a run around . the rear seats make a bed . i used to slip a two burner and grill under the very back of the seats . wash in a bowl .
we cheated as well ,
put a roof tent on and sometimes pulled a teardrop.
but for two of us just the bongo worked .

Attachments

• Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    Bongo tripsept 09 015.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 27

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
What? You have a Skoda Yeti and you're willing to sell it? Incredible!

Actually we have a 7 meter motorhome and are thinking of moving to something smaller for precisely the same reason. I wouldn't sell our Yeti though.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Love motorhoming, and have a 7 metre coachbuilt which is great for long trips to Europe. Comfy, space, storage, love it.
But, we don't feel like taking it out for the odd overnight, or even 2 or 3 days, now and again.
Have been thinking of selling our car - 2013 Skoda Yeti - and replacing it with what would have to be a much older camper, as a multipurpose vehicle.
Anyone done similar?, this is my idea and I need some ammunition with which to persuade OH. ;)

You've only just bought that van ????

Ahhh... You mean getting a smaller van as well as the 7 metre one ???

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when in a similar position I converted my work van as a basic camper. all it needed was a loo, a bed and a basic galley kitchen. In my case I could use the van for work then spend the night down the beach fishing etc. followed by a few hours kip, a wash and back to work
the bonus is that you get a newer van at a lower cost. if you cannot do the basic conversion yourself, find somebody like @Terry then you get exactly what you want and need

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Move house - we did when we bought ours. :)
Hi DBK.
Are you related to the "Legal Eagle" that used to come on the JY Prog ? Radio 2 of a morning.
It would appear that Candapack has super neighbours,but on the JY prog,people would ring in about troublesome neighbours,after a while,suggesting that they all get together over a cup of tea,and getting nowhere,he started to say....Move.....Next question LOL.
Tea Bag

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Get out and use it, we VERY often just go 25 miles for a Saturday night away

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have also thought of doing this, a couple of places we cant get the Mizar to. I fancy a doblo/peugot partner/ citroen whatever conversion, would be fine for 1 a bit of a squeeze for 2.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I had a VW T4 pop-top camper van as my only vehicle for 5 years. For the past 3 years, I've had a 6.4m PVC as my only vehicle. The T4 was a great all-round vehicle - goes under almost all height barriers & fits car sized parking bays. We had to go up a size because of my wife's mobility problems.

Our situation is slightly unusual. We live in a small town, where everything is reachable on foot, on a bike, or by electric wheelchair, as appropriate. I don't have to commute to get to work. So it's not unusual to not need to use a vehicle or 7 to 10 days at a time.

There are very few places left in this country where the added performance of a car over a small to medium sized van can by used to any great advantage or enjoyment. The relaxed driving style a camper promotes, coupled with the independence associated with having a bed, loo & coffee all available on demand, is a real bonus. It's done wonders for my stress levels! :)(y)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I have an Elddis Encore 254 when we go on longer trips but also have a VW T4 that i use almost daily,great for short breaks up the west coast of Scotland or the VW rallies in Britain.
best of both worlds !!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We have a Hymer B564 but can't bring it home as we live in the LEZ, so when I retired last year and returned the company car I bought an old but tidy Autosleeper Rambler, no big body, just a Talbot van sized camper with a 2ltr petrol engine to use as my "car".

We park it outside the house and can jump in at a moments notice and have short or long weekends away without the bother of driving for 90 minutes to the Hymer, have had some nice times in her, she is as well equipped as the big'un, lacks a loo but we have converted the shower room to a toilet as we always stay on sites for short trips and use the facilities available.

All this for just a few grand, amazing.

Hymie

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If it helps, I only have a sub 5 metre Devon Toyota Sunrise - day car/short trips/multi month trips.
Great for solo, very snug for 2.
Once you've adapted to small and experienced the advantages, you may well find that the coachbuilt can go - I did.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we had our old VW type 2 campervan, I used it as my main car, for weekends away and 3-4 weeks touring France with 3 of us. What about something like a VW T4 camper or an American Dayvan! As long as it has a bed sink cooker and toilet, you can use it as a daily driver or weekend home.
Lots of types to choose from, Mazda Bongos are ideal too, it you can find a good one.
Got me thinking now.......

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I have a Vito camper that I use more than my car and a A class for longer stays

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Just the sort of replies I was looking for.
Cheers all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back