LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well here we are Funster Friends - sitting in van waiting to get in the train - ham sarnies and coffee made - let the tour begin! As usual we left home a little later than expected, so it's been 70mph all the way over - thank goodness no holdups or yours truly would have been in trouble - but the house had to be left clean and I couldn't do it last night cos I had the uke jam - now cleaning or ukeing...... Let me think...... Anyway we are HERE and just about to go over THERE - see you on the other side! (y)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Why rush? You can arrive within + or - 2 hours of your booked departure time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have a great time both of you, cant believe you haven't shared the whole preamble of the preparation for the trip :)

Looking forward to the updates, do you have a rough idea on destination

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Have a great time Geraldine & Cliff. (y)

Like @FIDGET, where are you heading for? It's lovely down here in Garda, and it's to get even better from Monday onwards. ;)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a great trip and keep us posted with your photos and humorous stories please!(y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Farewell my Funster besties, it goes without saying that we both wish our van was "right up Cliffs arse" for this journey.

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

As they say where you are going....

sigurna putovanja (safe travels) xx

Last edited:
OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well Funster Friends, we are ensconced in Camping de la Sure, in the lovely little town of Diekirch, just outside of Luxembourg. 12€ with lekky and wifi - and this after filling up the tank that was running on fresh air for 89c a litre, Cliff is a happy chappy!

Diekirch has the donkey as it's motto - get this for a fountain....

image.jpeg

The main footbridge over the river is being strengthened so this is the temporary replacement - pontoon sections from one bank to the other - can you imagine UK 'elf n safety' allowing this! @Mousy - it was very bouncy.....;)

image.jpeg

We managed to upset the natives within a couple of hours of arriving on Belgian soil yesterday though. I found an Aires on Campercontact in the town of Beernem, so we parked up and went to find the machine to pay our 10€. The machine only accepted coins and we only had notes. Cliff went in search of a shop to get change but there was nothing. No problem I said, this is a Jachthaven, so they must have a boothuis. We can have a beer and get change for the meter. They did indeed have a very grand boathouse, so after trying all six doors and working out by trial and error the Flemish for 'pull' we went in.

The lady behind the bar welcomed us with 'Goedenavond' and by the look on Cliff's face you could tell he was stumped! After a couple of panic filled seconds he asked her in ENGLISH if she spoke FRENCH!!!
You could tell by the look on her face that she was not happy! Here was this Englisher coming into her country and asking her in English if she spoke the language of the Devil! Her answer was short and not very sweet - NO!!

I looked on with interest - I really wanted to know where he was going with this. If she had answered him in French, it would mean he had to continue in French, and he can, but only after I have told him what to say - 'une biere pression et une gin-tonic s'il vous plait'!

Now as many of you know I am usually the spokesperson on our foreign forays, which is strange really as I have great problems speaking in my own language let alone a foreign tongue, but there you are. So in the interests of whatever the Flemish is for 'entente cordiale' I felt I had to step in, so I asked her for two beers please, in English.

She filled two small glasses two thirds full with fluid, and a third full of foam. She then got out her tongue depresser and proceeded to skim the the top of the glass, which would have been OK, but the foam didn't even reach the top of the glass! Cliff by this stage was not happy, however I managed to stop him asking her to 'fill it to the top Love'! He handed over his 20€ note, and asked if it was possible to have some coins in the change, she gave him her best withering look and said in her best English - 'I have no coins', so we drank the beer and went back to the van, stopping only to take a photo of a huge Dutch barge heading down the river.
image.jpeg

We would have handed over our €10 note if we'de been asked, but we weren't, so in true free loading style we left this morning having paid nothing!

It rained for most of the morning, but stopped when we reached Luxembourg and we are now enjoying a lovely evening and equilibrium has been restored by a few bieres and a barby! Oh and added to this we can still get BBC so I can listen to The Archers!

image.jpeg

The other BBC (Big Body Coffin) that you can see on the van has redeemed itself in my eyes - Cliff doesn't think it makes any difference, but I've noticed whilst doing my turn of 100 miles on the motorway that I'm not dragged in towards the lorries when I overtake them. Therefore if you want a more aerodynamic motorhome, get a gurt BBC on the back of your van - I can heartily recommend it!

Onwards and southwards tomorrow - Will let you know where we get to when we get there!

Goedenacht All!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Where you headed ?
Relax & Enjoy !!!!

Have a great time Geraldine & Cliff. (y)

Like @FIDGET, where are you heading for? It's lovely down here in Garda, and it's to get even better from Monday onwards. ;)

Cheers,

We are ultimately heading for Dubrovnik, but at 89c a litre we may just drive round and round Luxembourg in ever decreasing circles! (y)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Geraldine the 'Dutch' Barge is flying the Belgian flag, so perhaps its a Belgian Barge. :rofl:. Check them all out here. Possibly a Kempenaar ;)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Geraldine the 'Dutch' Barge is flying the Belgian flag, so perhaps its a Belgian Barge. :rofl:. Check them all out here.
I thought 'Dutch' Barge was the generic term for a great big boat that can carry a car on its superstructure Ken!;)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
How good to see you're back on the road.(y) It seems a little strange that Mr and Mrs Mousy are not alongside, had got used to them being with you last time.
With Robert and Lis back from their last trip and the maniac Ian enjoying the delights of Essex.:whistle: I feared there was no virtual holidaying for me for a while. But you have put a smile on my face.
Look forward to lots of pics.;) Loved the donkeys:rolleyes: but they are a funny lot those Flemish speakers.:(
Have a good trip.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Keep them coming Geraldine, love the way you explain your travels. x

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
That bridge looks very bouncy and no one to tell you off for jumping on it too, how many times did you run across it? Lol.
Cliff's language issues made us laugh, just like Martin when we were in Bruges. He looks very happy with his beer and barbie though. How's the new table doing?

Take care xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
:drinks::sun: Loving your travels and thanks for sharing! I'm always amazed when we see those huge barge thingies laden down with produce and always a BMW car! They seem to lick along!enjoy your travels and thanks for finding the wifi and time to share with us !:drinks::drinks:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We are ultimately heading for Dubrovnik, but at 89c a litre we may just drive round and round Luxembourg in ever decreasing circles! (y)
Ger & Cliff, keep an eye out for us in Croatia, (from Wednesday onwards) however, it's unlikely that we'll get any further than Split, and will be looking to head north again around 25th May. :)

Safe travels,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back