Cliffandger Grand Tour (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hope you have a fab time, your updates as usual will have us all hooked, have you ever been approached to make a tv series lol :),
See you soon x

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
That bridge looks very bouncy and no one to tell you off for jumping on it too, how many times did you run across it? Lol.
Cliff's language issues made us laugh, just like Martin when we were in Bruges. He looks very happy with his beer and barbie though. How's the new table doing?

Take care xx
Haven't used the table yet, it's too cold to sit outside, but we are heading south so hopefully it won't be too long before we can use it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Love reading about your travels Gerry. Have a great time.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have worked out where we'll be staying tonight: Waldfischbach -Bugalben. Just hope we don't get lost and I have to ask for directions!

We are stopping off in a supermarket to stock up on 'essentials' before we leave Luxembourg. ;) The lovely campsite owner said that prices are the same in Luxembourg whether you shop in a super, convenience store or garage - I want to live here!!!!

Not sure what the WiFi situation will be in Waldfischbach-Bugalben so will post if I can.

The Grand Tour continues!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are now in Salzburg and I have Internet so I will catch up on the last couple of days. I've been very good and have kept notes of everywhere we've been, so even though it feels like we visited Luxembourg last year, the post starts there.

Not a lot to report today. We stayed at a sports hall car park in Waldfischbach-Bugalben, which was fine. Nothing much in the town, but a good spot for a stopover. We are now headed for the city of Ulm, where I'm hoping something will be open on a Sunday!

To recap for a minute - after driving through Luxembourg my impression of the country for what it's worth. Very picturesque, obviously very wealthy, lovely houses and no litter - anywhere. My problem was with the language! Jeez - muddled up or what! Do they speak French, German, Dutch? It sounded to me like a mixture of all three - in the same sentence! Walking through Diekirch we saw a driving school offering courses in French, German and Portuguese!

The checkout girl at the supermarket welcomed us with a 'bonjour' but she definitely didn't wish us a 'bon journee' as we left! I think the common denominator language is English as they all seemed quite relieved when they saw that was the only language we understood!

The Luxembourgers seemed to like us more than the Belgians (or it may just have been that Cliff p****d off the only one we met on our way through...) but the owners of the camp site were really lovely and the nice man in the off licence chuckled when he saw Cliff pick up a case of 1.5% bieres by mistake and then drop it as if it had burnt his fingers! He even gave him a lovely bag free of charge when he saw him struggling with two cases of biere and a bottle of whisky!

We moved on from Luxembourg into Germany and stayed at the Stellplatz in Friedburg. We were going to stay in Ulm, but there was a huge market happening on the Stellplatz, so we were turned away! Friedburg however is a lovely little town which, it being Sunday, was closed! We wandered it's empty streets and ended up in a little Italian restaurant for biere and pizza for 15€!

We set off the next day and visited Dachau concentration camp - the model on which all other concentration camps were built. I'll say nothing about this apart from the fact that I was glad that the sun had come out that morning, it was depressing enough without the wind and rain that we had had up until now.
image.jpeg

We moved onto Frielassing and found the parkplatz right on the edge of town. The last two overnight stops have been chosen using the 'Goldilocks and The Three Bears' technique..... The first one in Friedburg was too scary, the second one was too lonely and the third one was just right! The first one in Frielassing was too expensive, the second one was in the middle of nowhere and the third one was - you guessed it - just right!

We walked up into the town and found a biergarten with some lively locals, who were keen to practice their English, so after many 'Prosts' every time they took a slug of bier, they moved onto 'God Save The Queen' and fell about laughing each time they said it! One of them then asked - what are you here to celebrate? Not sure of the question, I said the first thing that came into my head - I'm still wondering why - 'We're celebrating the 50th anniversary of England winning the World Cup!' The laughter ceased and a lot of Germanic muttering ensued (Cliff said they might have been less upset if you had said we've just come from Dachau concentration camp), but one of them countered with 'Ja, but in 1066 England was conquered - by Bavarians!!' Not sure of my history as to the nationality of William the Conqueror and wishing to get back on a happier footing we just laughed and raised our glasses!

As you can see it all ended happily and though they begged us to 'Come - Join Us!!!' We left them to it and walked back to the van.

image.jpeg

We've moved onto Salzburg and are staying at Camping Nord Sam. We cycled into the city today and those of you who know of my passion for finding religious relics will be happy to see that I found the bones of St Rupert in the black casket - I have no idea who he was, but any relic is good for me!
image.jpeg

Salzburg has a lot of very classy and expensive shops, but we bypassed those and walked up to the fortress for a panoramic view of the city before cycling back to the van for a well deserved Barby!

There may be classy designer shops, but the Salzburgers don't seem to spend much on garden furniture in their Biergartens!
image.jpeg

Nothing as crude as lifting blocks by hand for the builders of Salzburg!
image.jpeg

We are off to southern Austria and a site right on the Ossiacher Lake tomorrow, so will check in tomorrow!

Auf Widersehen till then!

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
St Rupert sounds a little odd but he was the Bishop of Worms. Not the squiggly ones in the ground but apparently the town/city where he was born.
He was also the first bishop of Salzburg hence they didn't want to let him go.
Nice start to the tour. The language bit sounds like a nightmare.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I duuno we leave you alone for a minute and you're sitting on a fat Germans lap....

Great pics, great commentary.

Safe travels and mucho lurve

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well another grey day here so we are heading south to Villach, and the lake of Ossiacher. A British couple were on the pitch next to us, on their way back up from Dubrovnik where they stayed for a month. Consequently we now have details, maps, tourist brochures and loads of information on the route down and campsites to stop at! (y) They said they had met Funsters in Morocco last year, but they hadn't joined Fun..... Wonder who they met....;)

Reflections on Austria - I came here as a school girl 45 years ago :Eeek: returned again two years ago, and now for a third time. I now realise why they have fountains, water features, and ornamental streams in every little town and big city - on all three visits here the rain has not stopped, and they have more water than they know what to do with!

We got caught in a shower in Salzburg yesterday and we were the only ones without an umbrella ! I think the brolly must be part of their national dress! Luckily it meant we had to dash into a cafe and eat raspberry cake and apple strudel and vanilla sauce (custard to you and me!)

image.png

What a Very Grey Day!

We will still be in Austria tonight, with Internet so will talk again later. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wonderful commentary as usual for your holiday travels thanks for sharing!!had me laughing out loud at the foot ball faux pas!!!! Thankyou again!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Love following your travels. You make me chuckle along as I do.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are now in Slovenia and on Camp Bled. A lovely site very near the lake which we've circumnavigated on foot in beautiful sunshine today.

We travelled from a very dreary Salzburg down to Ossiacher Lake in the south of the country and Camping Hoffman. An amazing site right on the lake and attached to the Hotel Hoffman complete with restaurant, bar, sauna and sun room by the lake - all for 23€! Internet was also included but I couldn't get it to work!
image.jpeg

I think we have arrived in Europe a couple of weeks too early as although sites are open, they don't seem to be completely up and running - I was looking forward to witnessing Cliff's first experience of a sauna, but it was closed - and a dip in the Lake was certainly out of the question!

We decided to move down into Slovenia this morning,and being navigator I looked at the map and decided instead of doubling back around the lake to get onto the motorway, we would turn right and take the road due south into Slovenia........ I should have realised what the road was when I noticed it was called 'Lublipass' on the signposts.... I realised what the road was when I saw a sign saying 'Lublipass Open'..
I decided to keep my mouth shut, after all it was a big red road on the map so at least it was a major road and not a small winding path up the mountain......

As civilisation ended and rugged crags began, I started to get a bit worried, but still didn't admit to my error. Cliff however loves a challenge and his only comment as we drove up a 1:3 winding incline with snow on the road was 'I don't think we've saved much time coming this way'...

We finally entered a tunnel which I hoped was the highest part of the pass and it proved to be so. It was also the border between one country and the other, so we entered it in Austria and came out in Slovenia.

I looked at the map again and realised that little men on skis, and the fact that the road crossed right through the 'Kawaniske in Savinjske Alpes' should have been a clue as to what sort of road it was! I won't make that mistake again! However it was good exercise for the gluteous maximus muscles: clench - hold for 30 minutes - and relax......! Needless to say there are no photos of the journey over the mountain!

We drove down the mountain into beautiful sunshine and into a little town where we decided to find a bakers to buy a baguette for a well deserved sausage sandwich. As usual we took a wrong turning and ended up in a cul-de-sac, so had to make a five point turn - which would have been OK if we hadn't run straight into the local primary schools cycling proficiency lesson! I have to say the little darlings did very well in the 'manoeuvring around a moving obstacle' exercise, and we exited having missed them all, to a very smiley teacher's relief!

We finally found Camping Lake Bled, and pitched up - right next to a Funster couple! They told me their forum name, but as usual it went in one ear and straight out of the other so I will go round with my little red book in the morning to ask them again and make a note of it.

So, we walked around the lake which is absolutely stunning, and had our first ice cream of the holiday - Really good and only 1€ each, so things are looking up!

We are moving down to Postojna tomorrow where I think there is a cave with a cathedral in it, so maybe the next religious relic will be ossified!

Internet willing I will post again tomorrow!

Right - tomorrow is here and we have moved - to the pitch next door! The sun came out with full strength this morning, so when Carol and Garry (forum name GCKimber) moved off, we moved to their, much nicer, pitch! @Mousy will tell you that as long as the sun is shining, Cliff is happy to stay put - his motto being - 'it all depends on the weather!' So I've put a full load of washing in the machine, cossy and sun factor 15 on, and I'm Chillin!

I took a load of photos, but the camp wifi will not let me upload them, so this post is a bit heavy on text, will try to post some later.

We will move off tomorrow so I may get to see the ossified (or is it fossilised) relic!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image.png
    image.png
    2 MB · Views: 151

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello you both!!
What a great post! Had me clenching when reading that part of the road!! Hilarious ! And wonderful photos! The olde englishee pubee features twice obviously made an impression!!
Thanks again enjoying your trip!!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Looks like I did manage to post the photos but only as thumbnails - so there are duplicates! The English Bar greeted us as the first hostielry in Slovenia! And the boats (naff swans and covered ones) are on Lake Bled. :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Great posts, glad your enjoying yourselves, St Rupert, how I remember him in his yellow and black check pants!

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Don't you just love it - drive all that way and end up in an Olde English Pub.:)
You said you walked around the lake but it looks enormous. How far is it round there?
Keep enjoying it, I am.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't you just love it - drive all that way and end up in an Olde English Pub.:)
You said you walked around the lake but it looks enormous. How far is it round there?
Keep enjoying it, I am.
We didn't go in - just drove past! The lake is 6km round. We walked it yesterday and are just off to cycle it now. Will take some photos in the brilliant sunshine and post when we get back! (y)

@dabhand Simon - we had A Swiss couple next to us yesterday and the chap was sitting outside strumming on a guitar to a soundtrack of Bob Dylan - it was a great feeling to know that I would have made a better job of it - albeit with four strings instead of six - but me, better than sunshine else!!! I have decided to spend the whole holiday practising strumming techniques and finger picking - wish me luck! (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We didn't go in - just drove past! The lake is 6km round. We walked it yesterday and are just off to cycle it now. Will take some photos in the brilliant sunshine and post when we get back! (y)

@dabhand Simon - we had A Swiss couple next to us yesterday and the chap was sitting outside strumming on a guitar to a soundtrack of Bob Dylan - it was a great feeling to know that I would have made a better job of it - albeit with four strings instead of six - but me, better than sunshine else!!! I have decided to spend the whole holiday practising strumming techniques and finger picking - wish me luck! (y)
Go for it Geraldine, you picked up Reggaie quick enough, you'll soon be skiffling your strut to the bebop blues, I am expecting great things my dear, great things!(y):clap:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hope you're both having a lovely time. We are thinking of moving off tomorrow and heading for Istria, so will hopefully catch up with you sometime soon. (y)
Thanks Geraldine. We stopped off at Camping Serena, Novigrad, (ACSI) for two nights, which was a lovely site, but we have moved on, and are at Camping Krk for about 3 x days, which is a five star site, (ACSI).
If coming to Krk, don't bother with Camping Bor, unless you are after basic services and isolation for the same €19.00. :(

Stay safe,

Jock & Rita. :)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Geraldine. We stopped off at Camping Serena, Novigrad, (ACSI) for two nights, which was a lovely site, but we have moved on, and are at Camping Krk for about 3 x days, which is a five star site, (ACSI).
If coming to Krk, don't bother with Camping Bor, unless you are after basic services and isolation for the same €19.00. :(

Stay safe,

Jock & Rita. :)
Thanks Jock, thanks for the info. I think we will be staying at Camping Krk when we get there. Hopefully we can catch up soon! (y)

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just thought I would send a few photos of the last couple of days. We've had a really lazy day today, caught the sun, cycled into Bled, barbied, practised the uke and chatted to our Kiwi neighbours.

They are a family who are doing a massive Grand Tour from Croatia, through Italy, France and into the UK - with two children! I asked them how they managed to take their girls out of school for that long, and apparently the school was fine with them taking the children out for a whole TERM! They keep in touch by email, but don't have any lessons or anything - the school reckon that just doing the trip is education enough.

We were going to Postojna tomorrow to see the cathedral in the cave, but the sun and sea are calling (to Cliff) and we are now heading straight for Istria, with the promise that we will visit Slovenia properly on the way back....

Cliff in shorts yesterday - I changed into a lighter pair of trousers and a thinner jumper - but I was in shorts today! See the lovely bag - from the local 'Mercato' - 1.39€ and it squeezes into its own little purse - it don't take much to make me happy!

image.jpeg

Two inhabitants of Lake Bled - basking in the sun while a battalion of anglers around the lake had empty keep nets!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Best of luck getting a tune out of that Grand Joanna!
image.jpeg

I wanted to 'stop and try' one....
image.jpeg

But I wasn't allowed! - 'We have to get back, there's clouds coming in and you've left the washing out...' :crying:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loving the photos !

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
You should be a professional travel writer Geraldine! Thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and looking at the photo's this morning. Safe onward travels (y).

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Your writing makes me feel like I'm there. Love it x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun