The wife

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just a cloth in water with a tiny bit of washing up liquid and dry straight away.... keeps the condensation down too...(y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Our manual (Chausson) says soap and water only, mild detergent, warm water, no abrasives

It also says to keep aerosols & hairspray away from windows as the solvent damages them. That would include air freshner

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Our manual (Chausson) says soap and water only, mild detergent, warm water, no abrasives

It also says to keep aerosols & hairspray away from windows as the solvent damages them. That would include air freshner

Err Yess if you use a solvent based air freshener

BUT if the plastic ones are scratched the best advice I've been given is Brasso and lots of time

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years

BUT if the plastic ones are scratched the best advice I've been given is Brasso and lots of time

The question being asked was how to clean the windows, not how to remove scratches.

Almost all aerosols use a solvent of one sort or another as a propellant, that risks causing damage to the windows.

According to Chausson, Page 9:

"It is strongly recommended not to use aerosols near the bay windows and skylights (risk of ring formation).
These windows must be cleaned exclusively with water and mild soap. never use detergent products, including those designed for everyday use. In particular, those based on hydrocarbons or alcohol may alter window transparency and even cause cracking"

And Page 59 states:

"The methacrylate glass of the panoramic windows, such as that in the living cell bays, must be cleaned only with soapy water or with special products for methacrylate glass. Fine scratches and some dull stains may be removed with polish and a soft cloth."

Brasso contains solvent, therefore I would test a small hidden area first before attacking the whole area. I have heard anecdotal reports that use of Brasso removes a UV protective film applied during manufacture, resulting in exposure to potential sun damage.

The expert advice to dealing with scratches is given here: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ng-acrylic-plastic-windows-headlights.118070/

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Brass is the last thing you should use on plastic or acrylic windows. It contains ammonia which will discolour them.

Also please please do not use fairy liquid on ANY of the surfaces on your expensive vehicles.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Brass is the last thing you should use on plastic or acrylic windows. It contains ammonia which will discolour them.

Also please please do not use fairy liquid on ANY of the surfaces on your expensive vehicles.
why no fairly liquid Charlie ? and what do you use if it says soapy water
Am assuming from your other thread that polish is to be used, starting with the lowest cut

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Another for Autoglym products. They do two 'glass' cleaning products and both seem to work well but the Fast Glass seems easier to apply. I am sure that products like toothpaste, metal polish and vinegar can all do good jobs, but why not use a product that is designed to do the job?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
why no fairly liquid Charlie ? and what do you use if it says soapy water
Am assuming from your other thread that polish is to be used, starting with the lowest cut

Fairy liquid is not mild soap it's very aggressive and contains much salt which if it gets down your van that you have perhaps waxed will strip that wax on contact . It's way way to strong and it's horribly aggressive.

If you are doing regular cleaning of the windows.....

Swill as much dust off as you can

Them using a very mild soap like car shampoo and warm water gently clean using a nice soft microfibre towel

Dry off with another soft microfibre Bobs yer muvvers bruvver.

I thought this thread was about cleaning not polishing ? Am I confused ?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Fairy liquid is not mild soap it's very aggressive and contains much salt which if it gets down your van that you have perhaps waxed will strip that wax on contact . It's way way to strong and it's horribly aggressive.

If you are doing regular cleaning of the windows.....

Swill as much dust off as you can

Them using a very mild soap like car shampoo and warm water gently clean using a nice soft microfibre towel

Dry off with another soft microfibre Bobs yer muvvers bruvver.

I thought this thread was about cleaning not polishing ? Am I confused ?
My mistake Charlie, I looked at the link above, however that was for removing small scratches am the one confused :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back