Chemical attack robbery (2 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Assuming someone introduced a flammable gas into the living quarters of a MH, then the gas should not be able to reach the flame of the fridge.

Because if the gas could reach the flame, then looking at it the other way round, the products of combustion from the flame would be able to get into the living quarters, which they should not.
If it's a well made van with a fridge properly installed you are correct. I know of at least 6 vans where the there is a breeze from around the fridge when it is windy. It is common for fridges not to be installed properly and not just on cheap models...

( apparently ) the most commonly used ( sic ! ) gas is NOS ( Nitrous Oxide ) and that is not flammable ..In fact it will put out flames as they are deprived of oxygen :)

NOS not flammable? I thought is was quite explosive hence using it in cars to make em go faster. Guessing high temp and pressure required then? Learn something new every day.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
If it's a well made van with a fridge properly installed you are correct. I know of at least 6 vans where the there is a breeze from around the fridge when it is windy. It is common for fridges not to be installed properly and not just on cheap models...

NOS not flammable? I thought is was quite explosive hence using it in cars to make em go faster. Guessing high temp and pressure required then? Learn something new every day.
Nitrous isn't flammable, it's high oxygen content when injected under pressure makes the fuel burn hotter.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

No mate..
Only under high temperature and pressure.. and then it is not so much inflammable as a really good oxidizer

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
NOS systems used in cars are generally a 'Forced Induction' system, similar to a turbo. The NOS is fired across a jet to increase suction, and hence deliver more fuel to the piston. That's my understanding anyway.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Did anyone ever manage to sleep in a respirator? When I was BEME of 20 Armd Bde (them with the pink jumper) I had a "Doggy Box" built on a trailer and it was gas proof (honestly) so I was safe inside without one. :)
Yep I did during Exercise Lionheart (but then again I'm ex RHA) artillery can sleep through anything!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Sometimes in very windy conditions we get a weird smell when the fridge is running on gas ....it is not a gas smell but we know that is the source . We usually reposition the van so that the fridge is not on the windy side . We have 2 CO alarms and they have never gone off but better safe than sorry .

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
If gas was being used to put people to sleep in motorhomes or whatever then by now we would have had fatalities, it is impossible to fill such an area and not either kill people or leave evidence of gas.

We have not had either so far so for me it is a load of tosh.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sometimes in very windy conditions we get a weird smell when the fridge is running on gas ....it is not a gas smell but we know that is the source . We usually reposition the van so that the fridge is not on the windy side . We have 2 CO alarms and they have never gone off but better safe than sorry .
Usually is a weird smell in windy conditions. Depends on either the curry or the breed of dog, though......

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yep I did during Exercise Lionheart (but then again I'm ex RHA) artillery can sleep through anything!!!

Me too, ex 1st RHA, so can polish anything.

I was in Belize with someone from 1 RHA, Dick Lamb, he was a Major then but came back as a Brigadier later as CBF. Anyway, he had a cartoon on his office wall which showed a couple of "Hun" crouching and a horse flying over their heads. The caption was something like "Gott un Himmel, the British are firing horses at us now". He also had another one with the caption "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a bloody brawl." Happy days and at least no NBC in Belize unless you include the after effects of some of the local beers and cooking.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
NOS systems used in cars are generally a 'Forced Induction' system, similar to a turbo. The NOS is fired across a jet to increase suction, and hence deliver more fuel to the piston. That's my understanding anyway.
No - under combustion conditions it's an oxidiser. In other words it's like injecting a large amount of oxygen (and fuelling is upped dramatically to cope with it).

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No - under combustion conditions it's an oxidiser. In other words it's like injecting a large amount of oxygen (and fuelling is upped dramatically to cope with it).
You see now you are making me late for bed, because I am now going to research NOS systems for cars! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back