Check your insurance milage limit (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Ashford
Funster No
MH
Frankia A 680
Exp
Since Oct 2016
As an FYI.

If you go onto the government MOT website and put in your numberplate you can see exactly how many miles your vehicle has done between each MOT.
And if you can do it easily, so can the insurance companies.

So don't think for a second that you can get away with under reporting your annual milage!
Indeed! at my renewal I 'confirmed' our annual mileage as 6000 miles, and the insurance salesperson replied '... but you did 7500 miles last year!'. Ooops - embarassed and lesson learnt.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Check your milage limit on your insurance statement!

We bought our van just before the 1st lock down.
We insured with Comfort, who put a limit of 6,000 miles PA on the insurance.
This was fine for 2020 and 2021 when no one was going very far.
But for the 2022 renewal I had it increased to 8,000 miles.
I also had the replacement value from the van increased from £65,000 to £90,000,
If you remember the value of good vans nearly doubled between 2020 and 2022.

I then noticed on todays renewal for 2024 that Comfort had kept the same £90k replacement value (arguably £10k too high today),
but had lowered the milage back to 6,000 miles.
Looking back I see that did this for 2023 as well (and we have driven 6,700 miles this year!).
Comfort claim they would have only lowered the milage by a request from us.
We did not request a lowering of the milage, if anything we would have suggest a higher figure!
As we have always got to within 1,000 miles of the maximum even during the pandemic years.

So check what the insurance document actually says, not what you have requested or think it says.
I would ask them to produce a copy of the phone call where you requested them to do so....could be that they did it to trim something off a renewal increase in premium ....

Oct 31, 2023
Durham
Funster No
MH
Hobby 560
Exp
I’m a newbie
Check your milage limit on your insurance statement!

We bought our van just before the 1st lock down.
We insured with Comfort, who put a limit of 6,000 miles PA on the insurance.
This was fine for 2020 and 2021 when no one was going very far.
But for the 2022 renewal I had it increased to 8,000 miles.
I also had the replacement value from the van increased from £65,000 to £90,000,
If you remember the value of good vans nearly doubled between 2020 and 2022.

I then noticed on todays renewal for 2024 that Comfort had kept the same £90k replacement value (arguably £10k too high today),
but had lowered the milage back to 6,000 miles.
Looking back I see that did this for 2023 as well (and we have driven 6,700 miles this year!).
Comfort claim they would have only lowered the milage by a request from us.
We did not request a lowering of the milage, if anything we would have suggest a higher figure!
As we have always got to within 1,000 miles of the maximum even during the pandemic years.

So check what the insurance document actually says, not what you have requested or think it says.
Surely, they would have to provide proof that you requested the change, audio recording from telephone or email?

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Got a quote from Caravan Guard for 10,000 miles. If I want to go to 15,000 miles its another £100. Comfort are offering 'unlimited' mileage. Problem is they don't do green cards for non-EU countries, CG do. Will probably go with CG. Mileage charges seem to vary wildly between underwriters. At the end of the day if you go for mileage of say 6000 and do 7000 then have a prang you are stuffed insurance wise. Is it worth the risk?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
At the end of the day if you go for mileage of say 6000 and do 7000 then have a prang you are stuffed insurance wise.

Does your insurer require you to give them an odometer reading at policy inception?

They have no way of telling what mileage you do.

Sure they can check MoT mileages but that wont tell them the distance over a policy year.

Ian

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Does your insurer require you to give them an odometer reading at policy inception?

Sure they can check MoT mileages but that wont tell them the distance over a policy year.

Ian
Not sure about Caravan Guard think Comfort do. Adrian Flux definitely did when we were with them for last van. Personally I’d rather be upfront with, them saving £100 now could have serious consequences if later down the line you have to make a big claim. But that’s just me. Insurance companies will do anything these days to avoid payout.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Personally I’d rather be upfront with, them saving £100 now could have serious consequences if later down the line you have to make a big claim. But that’s just me. Insurance companies will do anything these days to avoid payout.

You and me both. My point was that unless you tell them (honestly) at policy inception, they have no way of ascertaining your anniversary to anniversary mileage.

Consequently, if a policy holder inadvertently (genuinely) marginally exceeded the declared limit I‘m not sure that it’d be anything to get too excited about.

Ian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Also for an insurance claim, they would realise from the MoT's that the speedo was not working as it should, so give them grounds to refuse a claim.
I would always be claiming off the other parties insurance so it is of no interest to them they just have to pay up for the muppet I'm claiming off.
someone who only does 1000 miles a year (less than 20 miles a week) is actually a higher risk due to lack of practice, familiarity with the vehicle, etc.
He didn't say he was ONLY doing 1000 miles a year ,he said that was what was done in the MH .He might well be doing 99k in other vehicles.
as they now give extra discount for having a Disclock.
& knock back the claim if you fail to use it 100% of the time.It won't be long before they are doing the same as house insurance & disallowing claims where you have used an alarm ,disclock, immobiliser ,etc;etc; that you have not told them about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
& knock back the claim if you fail to use it 100% of the time.It won't be long before they are doing the same as house insurance & disallowing claims where you have used an alarm ,disclock, immobiliser ,etc;etc; that you have not told them about.

In my case insurance cover is contingent on using an approved steering lock so have to get into the habit of using it even for the briefest of stops.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017

My insurance renews in early December and the MOT is the beginning of March, so not a lot of space for tweaking figures. I increased my annual figure from 3-5000 last year, which although was a wise move, I didn't exceed and have only done 4000. However plans for 2024 could see me exceed the 5K so when I renew (Not with SAGA who wanted 250% more)perhaps upping a bit more might be prudent.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thanks for posting this Brains just checked mine and I’ve only 4000mls :doh:
Just Rung em up and they’ve doubled it to 8k for the princely sum of £91
I hate to think what the renewal is gonna be🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️