Check your insurance milage limit (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Check your milage limit on your insurance statement!

We bought our van just before the 1st lock down.
We insured with Comfort, who put a limit of 6,000 miles PA on the insurance.
This was fine for 2020 and 2021 when no one was going very far.
But for the 2022 renewal I had it increased to 8,000 miles.
I also had the replacement value from the van increased from £65,000 to £90,000,
If you remember the value of good vans nearly doubled between 2020 and 2022.

I then noticed on todays renewal for 2024 that Comfort had kept the same £90k replacement value (arguably £10k too high today),
but had lowered the milage back to 6,000 miles.
Looking back I see that did this for 2023 as well (and we have driven 6,700 miles this year!).
Comfort claim they would have only lowered the milage by a request from us.
We did not request a lowering of the milage, if anything we would have suggest a higher figure!
As we have always got to within 1,000 miles of the maximum even during the pandemic years.

So check what the insurance document actually says, not what you have requested or think it says.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As an FYI.

If you go onto the government MOT website and put in your numberplate you can see exactly how many miles your vehicle has done between each MOT.
And if you can do it easily, so can the insurance companies.

So don't think for a second that you can get away with under reporting your annual milage!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
As an FYI.

If you go onto the government MOT website and put in your numberplate you can see exactly how many miles your vehicle has done between each MOT.

So don't think for a second that you can get away with under reporting your annual milage!

Unless your van is less than 3 years old

Maybe the underwriters will ask to see service records or use an average based on cumulative mileage to date?

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As an FYI.

The mileage between MoTs is not the same as the mileage between insurance renewals as it depends on WHEN you did your mileage. Insurance companies checking mileage between MoTs won’t tell them what mileage you did between insurance renewals.

Clearly, if you’re extracting the urine then you could be on a sticky wicket but a thousand miles here, or there, isn’t going to be a cause for concern.

Ian

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The mileage between MoTs is not the same as the mileage between insurance renewals as it depends on WHEN you did your mileage. Insurance companies checking mileage between MoTs won’t tell them what mileage you did between insurance renewals.

Clearly, if you’re extracting the urine then you could be on a sticky wicket but a thousand miles here, or there, isn’t going to be a cause for concern.

Ian
That is until you look over say 10 years with a 6,000 mile maximum and realise you have 70,000 miles on the clock.
It's only a thousand miles, per year, enough for them to prove at some point you broke the T&C's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Unless your van is less than 3 years old

Maybe the underwriters will ask to see service records or use an average based on cumulative mileage to date?
True.
But if your limit is 6,000 miles PA
And at first MOT your have say 25,000 miles on the clock then it's obvious someone is telling porkies.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
That is until you look over say 10 years with a 6,000 mile maximum and realise you have 70,000 miles on the clock.
It's only a thousand miles, per year, enough for them to prove at some point you broke the T&C's

Yes, there are circumstances where you could reasonably conclude that, on average, you had exceeded a stated annual mileage. However this would require that you stayed with the same insurer for a number of years and the odds if staying with the same insurer for the 10 years in your averaging example is extremely low.

Ian

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Yes, there are circumstances where you could reasonably conclude that, on average, you had exceeded a stated annual mileage. However this would require that you stayed with the same insurer for a number of years and the odds if staying with the same insurer for the 10 years in your averaging example is extremely low.

Ian
My cars were with the same insurer from 1977 to 2022.
I was still dealing with the grandson of the original owner who was a friend of my parents in the 1960's

The only reason I changed was last year to premium was silly, they said they could no longer compete with a Russian meerkat.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
They ask you for average yearly milage
I had a lo g discussion this year as I wanted 10,000 insurance salesman claimed you could not do that

I explained I use the van it's not parked and polished

If I go to my favourite place every weekend that's 7800 miles without touring or holidays throw I 2 trips to brothers 8800
One round trip in Wales 9500
And I'm not retired

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
They ask you for average yearly milage
I had a lo g discussion this year as I wanted 10,000 insurance salesman claimed you could not do that

I explained I use the van it's not parked and polished

If I go to my favourite place every weekend that's 7800 miles without touring or holidays throw I 2 trips to brothers 8800
One round trip in Wales 9500
And I'm not retired
When did you have time to park and sleep? I guess you won’t be doing that trip again in Wales at 20MPH !🤪

vwnova

Free Member
Nov 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
wanting to buy
In my car I do about 1,000 miles a year, so I insure it for 5,000, never insure for what you think you do always have a reserve. Any insurance company will wave t&c in your face and say 🖐️ you broke the rules so we won’t pay

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
It might be worth keeping a time stamped image of your odometer at renewal in case of future disputes.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Mine has stopped increasing. The display still shows and the trip goes up correctly. So how would anybody know how many miles I have done?
I think you probably know the answer to that?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
In my car I do about 1,000 miles a year, so I insure it for 5,000, never insure for what you think you do always have a reserve. Any insurance company will wave t&c in your face and say 🖐️ you broke the rules so we won’t pay
Is there any evidence that can prove this as Ive never heard of anyone being refused a claim due to mileage overuse.🤔 it will be interesting to see if there is🤔

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate used a car in the uk with the speedo busted for 2 years.Then moved here replated it & itv'd it for 4 years here. It still had the same amount on the speedo
It might be worth keeping a time stamped image of your odometer at renewal in case of future disputes.
Here they take a photo of the dash showing mileage every itv now. Before they just used to print it on the sheet.

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Not relevant to MoT AFAIK.
Possibly not.
But it's still recorded on the MoT cert
So when you come to sell, it will be obvious the milage is not correct.

Also for an insurance claim, they would realise from the MoT's that the speedo was not working as it should, so give them grounds to refuse a claim.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Is there any evidence that can prove this as Ive never heard of anyone being refused a claim due to mileage overuse.🤔 it will be interesting to see if there is🤔

Trouble is you’ll only find out when it’s too late. I used to have the same view about average speed cameras 😉

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Possibly not.
But it's still recorded on the MoT cert
So when you come to sell, it will be obvious the milage is not correct.

Also for an insurance claim, they would realise from the MoT's that the speedo was not working as it should, so give them grounds to refuse a claim.
Prior to the latest computerised MoT system recording the mileage was optional. That may still be the case.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
If your average annual mileage is only 1000 rather than 5000, why tell the insurer something that you know to be incorrect?

I've no actual basis for this, but I could forsee a valid argument from the insurers that someone who only does 1000 miles a year (less than 20 miles a week) is actually a higher risk due to lack of practice, familiarity with the vehicle, etc.

Certainly, in the world of private light aviation, private pilots are legally required to demonstrate "currency", that is, that they haven't become stale and rusty as they are then higher risk.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
We insure with Comfort and the renewal notice arrived today.
There are a few special notices attached to the renewal and one of the notices is in regard to the mileage covered.

IMG_1403.jpeg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

A faulty odometer isn’t evidence of excess mileage; any insurer trying that on would need to have evidence to corroborate such a claim. The insurance ombudsman would give them short shrift for even attempting such a thing.

Ian

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
With the value of the OP M/H I’m assuming that a tracker is required by the insurance company as was mine.
We have a phantom tracker which records the mileage each month so they are aware in our case.
Ray

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I've just renewed my insurance with caravan guard. They asked me if i wanted to up my mileage. I said i think I'm ok as i am.He looked on dvla I'm presuming. He told me the Mileage i had done each year i had been with them.I checked against my mots and they were spot on.So they do know your annual milage. And got a cheaper quote as they now give extra discount for having a Disclock.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You will probably find there is a payout but penalised for excess unclaimed milage

Jun 12, 2018
Funster No
Check your milage limit on your insurance statement!

We bought our van just before the 1st lock down.
We insured with Comfort, who put a limit of 6,000 miles PA on the insurance.
This was fine for 2020 and 2021 when no one was going very far.
But for the 2022 renewal I had it increased to 8,000 miles.
I also had the replacement value from the van increased from £65,000 to £90,000,
If you remember the value of good vans nearly doubled between 2020 and 2022.

I then noticed on todays renewal for 2024 that Comfort had kept the same £90k replacement value (arguably £10k too high today),
but had lowered the milage back to 6,000 miles.
Looking back I see that did this for 2023 as well (and we have driven 6,700 miles this year!).
Comfort claim they would have only lowered the milage by a request from us.
We did not request a lowering of the milage, if anything we would have suggest a higher figure!
As we have always got to within 1,000 miles of the maximum even during the pandemic years.

So check what the insurance document actually says, not what you have requested or think it says.
Surprised by that as I am with comfort and, following me increasing the mileage, the renewal has always been at the increased rate. In fact, when I recently increased my mileage the woman on the phone said that the renewal would be at the new mileage and to phone them if I wanted a lower rate when the renewal was due.,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back