Caution! Diesel heaters warning from trading standards (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have a diesel heater in our house....actually it's sec28 kerosene but can run on diesel.
It's in the utility room with the exhaust (flu pipe) exiting through the wall.
It's no more sealed to room than our open fire place.
It works on exactly the same principle as these diesel heaters.
Kerosene is injected at pressure to a fan fed combustion chamber.
Instead of heat transfer to air it's transfer to water.
It's been doing this since 2002 and we're still here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Gadget John has had a problem with his case melting on his heater, haven't watched it fully so not sure what the problem is ...or was ..

Just noticed it's already been highlighted on here, sorry for the duplicate post !

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
We have a diesel heater in our house....actually it's sec28 kerosene but can run on diesel.
It's in the utility room with the exhaust (flu pipe) exiting through the wall.
It's no more sealed to room than our open fire place.
It works on exactly the same principle as these diesel heaters.
Kerosene is injected at pressure to a fan fed combustion chamber.
Instead of heat transfer to air it's transfer to water.
It's been doing this since 2002 and we're still here.
A suggestion in the video was that travelling about in a motorhome with a heater installed may have caused the problem by vibrating the bolts loose. If you heater is not installed on your washing machine / spin dryer (remember them!) it shouldn't suffer from loose bits :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A suggestion in the video was that travelling about in a motorhome with a heater installed may have caused the problem by vibrating the bolts loose. If you heater is not installed on your washing machine / spin dryer (remember them!) it shouldn't suffer from loose bits :LOL:
Whoever made that suggestion should look a bit further than their monobrow.
Strange how nothing else like the onboard blow heater, fridge or water boiler suffers loosening bolts due to vibrations when driving.
The suggestion is nothing more than grasping for an answer to something which is doubtful happens

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Strange how nothing else like the onboard blow heater, fridge or water boiler suffers loosening bolts due to vibrations when driving.
The suggestion is nothing more than grasping for an answer to something which is doubtful happens
Indeed, if that would be the case, we would loose a bolt every mile, then the engine and the rest will just fall apart.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I sniggered when I mentally started counting how many nuts and bolts go into a vehicle and imagined them all coming loose. :ROFLMAO:

Either they weren't tightened up to start with, OR he has had a play and didn't put it back together properly. I suspect the latter.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Indeed, if that would be the case, we would loose a bolt every mile, then the engine and the rest will just fall apart.
Beat me to it :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
First time Ive watched a Gadget John video and I'm struggling to understand why he called the combustion process "an explosion" and why didn't he show any pictures of his failed heater ? :unsure:

Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
I still standby my feeling that they are very safe to buy and use, check them over when it arrives, without dismantling the main parts but fit them properly, with a good seal onto a turret through the floor.
Use good fuel pipe, not the green stuff it comes with, and hang the pump from tie wraps and insulate the pump to keep them quiet.
I've fitted them in my last 2 vans and they have been 100% reliable, my vans a daily driver and over the cold couple of months being able to switch it on remotely from the house has been a blessing in a morning!
I'm sure some go wrong, but it's usually low voltage on startup or over priming before a first fire up.
I'll even be using an all in one 8kw for my home next winter, in a box outside just ticking over and piping warm air in to keep the house warm.

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Can I just clarify I only posted this to mention that a possible problem had been covered in the video and some people may want to bear this in mind.

Apologies if anyone feels this wasn't a valid concern.

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I used to tell my learner groups that the Insurance companies and the fear of litigation have changed more to our way of life than any trade union movement or government legislation, so we have to cater for the Morlocks that walk among us, I have known folks with a PHd unable to put a flat pack together or a shelf up, these people have to pay the gifted ones :) although a motto of mine is RTFM - Read The F*cking Manual I sometime only have to refer to it for torque settings, fuel ratio, passwords or Wifi name etc. :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
First time Ive watched a Gadget John video and I'm struggling to understand why he called the combustion process "an explosion" and why didn't he show any pictures of his failed heater ? :unsure:
I guess he had sent the defective unit back to Amazon for refund at the same time as ordering a replacement.
What I am more concerned about is that he has fitted his diesel heater under the drivers seat and placing the inlet/outlet heater pipes, plus the diesel pump, filter, and pvc feed pipes right over the vans exhaust box, with only a tin thin metal heat shield to protect them from melting.
Of all the suitable places to fit the heater why there!???
You may notice he misses showing how or where he secured the diesel pump, and filter, but with that short length of fuel pipe, it could only have gone in above the vans exhaust box.
Boom! Boom!
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I guess he had sent the defective unit back to Amazon for refund at the same time as ordering a replacement.
What I am more concerned about is that he has fitted his diesel heater under the drivers seat and placing the inlet/outlet heater pipes, plus the diesel pump, filter, and pvc feed pipes right over the vans exhaust box, with only a tin thin metal heat shield to protect them from melting.
You may notice he misses showing how or where he secured the diesel pump, and filter, but with that short length of fuel pipe, it could only have gone in above the vans exhaust box.
Boom! Boom!
LES
Up to his usual high standards then. :rofl:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Boom! Boom!
LES
Taking into consideration the absolutely crap crash protection most Ducato cabs have, would you really want a diesel heater under your seat, especially when the fuel tank is sat between the seats. How many vanners drive with the heater running? Frightening to think about what could happen. 😵‍💫

Feb 14, 2022
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
MH
Nissan NV400 self bu
Diesel is a pretty safe fuel as far as ignition is concerned, but yes, I wouldn't want to sit on top of a functioning unit.
Fit them in the garage area, or somewhere in the back away from the cab.
There is a massive amount of open space under the back section of vans to fit the heaters exhaust and intake, why cram it into a small space.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Diesel is a pretty safe fuel as far as ignition is concerned, but yes, I wouldn't want to sit on top of a functioning unit.
Fit them in the garage area, or somewhere in the back away from the cab.
There is a massive amount of open space under the back section of vans to fit the heaters exhaust and intake, why cram it into a small space.
Standard place to fit blown air heaters on VW and MAN (maybe Mercedes) vans by the manufacturers is under the right front seat BUT outside under floor level.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Up to his usual high standards then. :rofl:
Even higher if it explodes 😄. Maybe he has doubled it up to provide an ejector seat and just needs to cut the hole in the roof, maybe his next bodge? 😆

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
try lighting a fire with deisel its virtually impossible
You do know that some funsters are daft enough to accept that challenge don't you! 😱

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Gadget John - oh dear!

I heard him say in the video, the bolts weren’t tight, I have no doubt that is down to him… I also heard him say that the plastic melted as not enough airflow, so he hadn’t fitted the shrouding back on the heater properly, so down to him.

Finally, he has the audacity to return it to Amazon as faulty. What a complete bloody oxygen stealer he is.

Finally, at the end of the video, he admitted that no one wanted to support him with his Ukraine, let’s make some more content appeal, so that was disappointing… Oh Please!, help out a genuine aid charity John and stop capitalising on Ukraine for your content creation.

Finally, what an abomination of a van he is building. The thing looks like a pile of crap.

Final Finally… I have to stop watching the GJ car crash videos as I’m ultimately supporting him, which really frustrates me! A lot!!!

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Unclear instructions from a Chinese supplier? Never 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I’ve fitted a 2kw Chinese heater to my VW T6.1 underneath my van chassis over the Christmas period and it works brilliantly, so does the 8 kw Chinese diesel heater that I fitted in my garage a year ago.
Would I buy again ? definitely.

John.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back