Caution! Diesel heaters warning from trading standards (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seems a bit OTT, they could have just issued a notice not to be sold without updated instructions.
Appears nothing wrong with the heaters just need to use common sense when installing them, I suppose they have to protect the idiots.
The heaters appear to be fine. Just instructions crap (not exactly unusual for Chinese stuff)

Not quite, it does say no DOC so no way of knowing if they have been tested and are safe:

1670929030251.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
To be honest. If you read around you will see people have found the rubber pipes disintegrate in 12 months, the exhausts often leak from new etc.
They are cheap and unless you know a bit more than an amateur you could easily get in trouble!
Yes if you are in the know and change some parts before fitting and safety check them every few months you nsy be ok, but how many people just fit and forget?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I was looking again yesterday at some I had on “saved” and they’re going up in price, hard to find one for less then £125 now and most £130 for a 2kw one. Only a few weeks ago they were around £95-100….😎

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was looking again yesterday at some I had on “saved” and they’re going up in price, hard to find one for less then £125 now and most £130 for a 2kw one. Only a few weeks ago they were around £95-100….😎
Expensive to print new instructions. :rofl:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Very easy target if no DoC so not surprised they were pulled. This will start to apply to many more products now that Customs and Trading Standards are catching up with the new Regs.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Let's hope that they missed finding the stash of drugs while they were protecting us all from the dangers of Darwinism

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am surprised that so many people think that it would be OK to allow non conforming and possibly dangerous equipment into the country, there is no wonder that UK/European manufacturers can't price match these Chinese imports (if these were from China).

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Made by child or slave Labour working hours that we would not accept, in conditions that we would not accept, with quality control we would not accept

Crush the lot
Absolutely, but I think you should have qualified your "we would not accept" comments with "at the moment" . . .

Jun 27, 2021
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Twelve months and still learning.
Let's hope that they missed finding the stash of drugs while they were protecting us all from the dangers of Darwinism
Searching for drugs is not the function of Trading Standards officers.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I try to cut back on buying stuff from China, but sometimes it's impossible as they're the only ones manufacturing a lot of stuff ?
For my workshop needs, I'd rather buy good/old second-hand gear/tools than brand new Chinese stuff, although anything I buy from the East, I tend to look at as a project that will need some fettling to get it right ?
There are a couple of companies that supply inverter welders and plasma cutters that buy in Chinese units and inspect/upgrade/modify them, before selling them on with a decent warranty.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If the sellers of these were more professional, and understood there products, they would have good instructions printed just as eberspacher would.
Reviews would be good and more people would by from themBut no can’t be bothered let’s just make a quick profit

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Chinese manufacturers are not stupid, but its all about their bottom line/selling cost. they have been selling a product that many of us have bought, knowing the instructions and information were very limited but were prepared to install them ourselves on that basis. i did assume that because they were being sold in the UK that they did in fact meet manufacturing safety standards required. i would ask then, where have trading standards been for the last couple of years and why have they now decided to take action?
its hardly been a back street, dodgy warehouse selling process, they have been available on auction and selling sites for quite some time. has there actually been any incidents with them? it would be good to know if there has.

i would put money on it that the manufacturers will now be rewriting their manual and looking for ways to conform with whatever standards are required. i doubt the heaters will change very much in design and even if they now start being sold as 'garage heaters' only, they will still find their way into lots of self build vehicles.

i have mine installed OUTSIDE our house with ducting for the hot air outlet and the inlet for the air to be heated running into the house, everything else is outside, with the exhaust in open air.

as an aside, we also have a zibro type paraffin heater, which is certified for use indoors in a well ventilated area. the products of combustion are deemed safe enough to just be released into the room. if a 'diesel heater' was also fired by paraffin, i wonder how the exhaust fumes would compare?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I amazed that they can prevent this consignment from crossing our borders because of inadequate documentation but 1000's of immigrants with out documentation can walk up the beaches and receive a good old British welcome.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Why do people buy these 🤔
You are lighting a small fire in a confined space to heat a very expensive living quarters, which in turn contains air that you rely on to be fit to breathe
I’ll take my chances with a reliable source

You obviously have no knowledge or understanding about the process by which diesel heaters work and are fitted to make such a statement.

Ever thought that you are lighting a small fire in a confined space to heat your water in your MH?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You are lighting a small fire in a confined space to heat a very expensive living quarters, which in turn contains air that you rely on to be fit to breathe
No different to Truma or Alde heating then so by your statement all gas and diesel heating should be removed from Motorhomes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
as an aside, we also have a zibro type paraffin heater, which is certified for use indoors in a well ventilated area. the products of combustion are deemed safe enough to just be released into the room. if a 'diesel heater' was also fired by paraffin, i wonder how the exhaust fumes would compare?
The Australian guy who is pretty much an expert on them did some measurements on them and the exhaust was incredibly clean.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No different to Truma or Alde heating then so by your statement all gas and diesel heating should be removed from Motorhomes.
I take it you are not suggesting that Truma and Alde systems have not documents of conformity as well.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The Australian guy who is pretty much an expert on them did some measurements on them and the exhaust was incredibly clean.
i did suspect that to be the case, but have no knowledge of the fact.

if that could be proven, then perhaps if the manufacturers could sort out the heat issue of the exhaust (and reclaim some of that lost heat) then they could be rebadged as indoor paraffin heaters ....... though the noise might be a problem in the 'home;, perhaps some people would install them in places other than a 'home' ..... and ignore any well written instructions that they come with ...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I take it you are not suggesting that Truma and Alde systems have not documents of conformity as well.
I was referring to this statement "You are lighting a small fire in a confined space to heat a very expensive living quarters,"
Which is the principle that all Motorhome heaters work on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You need to understand how these heaters (and every other gas or Diesel fired heater) work. At no time is the "air that you rely on to be fit to breathe" in contact with the combustion process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back