Cassette Toilet Horror

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by con-tiki, Mar 9, 2010.

1. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

Well...after having a major service, wiper motor and linkage replaced and complete exhaust done...I got down to doing a major clean up (bought the Swift in October).

First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof..but so satisfying when all was clean and white.

I then proceeded to check out the cassette toilet...imagine my horror when I pulled the cassette out and thought ..oh no its not empty...

Anyone with a nervous disposition ...stop reading now!!!

I started to empty the contents (down an outside drain), then the smell hit my olfactory organ...oh by the way i had not long eaten my lunch...
    I had to drop the cassette and had to dash into the house where I proceeded to empty the contents of my stomach x 2....

I could not go back and finish the task of cleaning out the cassette (that job was left to my sister's partener who has a cast iron stomach)

After a good clean with disinfectant and bleach I was able to go back and put the cassette back in the van....

I think it so disgusting that the previous owner did not clean it before he sold it....I am not usually that squeemish (used to be a nurse), but cleaning out that was the most disgusting task.....

Just thought I'd share my trauma with you all :Eeek:

2. eribiste

eribiste Read Only Funster

Oh my goodness, that is not nice!

I've just done the roof of our motorhome, what a mess, but very satisfyingly white again now. I am not brave on roofs either, I imagine me on a ladder is a pathetic sight, still, needs must.:Smile:

3. SpongeBobsDad

SpongeBobsDad Read Only Funster

Another horror story of a cassette loo, a friend of mine bought a caravan of an old guy who hadn`t used it for years .When he got it home he proceeded to give it a good clean , he tried to clean the toilet but couldn't`t empty the cassette, it was full and the waste had set solid in the inside he had no chance of cleaning it so he ended up having to buy and fit a new loo. :cry::cry:

4. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

OOOOOhhhh.....at least mine was liquid.......makes me gip thinking about it.....oh well at least the 'job' is done! I am not going to allow anyone to poo in mine...unless its a dire emergency, even then a plastic bag inside the bowl will have to be placed so the offending person can dispose of it themselves.....:Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof..but so satisfying when all was clean and white.

he he he that would be a picture worth posting:Rofl1:

6. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

I found the more you go up on roofs, the more confident you get - sometimes too confident.

Main thing is to tie the ladder. In my experience, people have only fallen when the ladder moves, so if the ladder can't move you are safe.

7. Pugboxter

Pugboxter

I've just been cleaning my roof too, I had to pluck-up the courage to make the leap back onto the ladder after getting on the roof to remove the base of my Status aerial. A few days later I returned onto the roof via step-ladder in the van and up through the Heki rooflight, a much safer route.

8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

That is one of the down sides of hire...and why we are quite strict on making sure they empty and clean before they return - nothing worse than cleaning out someone elses effluent!

At least in my case, it is still 'fresh' as it were - I dread to think how long yours had been lingering....maybe all winter! yuk!:Eeek:

At least it is all done!:thumb:

9. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Yes we had the same problem bought private 16months hardly used or emptied. :moon::Mad: well thats life as they say.
    JohnM.:Eeek:

10. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Arrg
    By the way dont use bleach it rots the seals.
    Empty as much as possible down the house loo or elson

then half fill the tank with biological wasshing powder and put the tank in the boot of the car. Drive to work and back or drive round for as long as you can.
    this will remove all the filth and old stuff off the tank and leave it smelling lovely

Phill

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof.

you may not be aware but the roof is strong enough to stand on.....i'm 17st and walk on mine.

just dont stand on the overcab bulge or too close to the roof windows/vents and you'll be ok..

just one word of caution though, and it'll make you laugh......read the thread below.

<<smile on a wet day>>

12. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Thers nothing there or is it me lappy having a weee turn John.
    JohnM:Rofl1:

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i think the link was broken...give it a try now :thumb:

14. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

It worked lappy not on the blink and you lived to tell the tale and10,000 plus funsters.So im not the only fooool on this site.
    Happy travels.
    JohnM :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Blush:

15. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Excellent John, I can just picture you sitting on the roof, soaking wet & with steam coming from your ears :Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. GeoffM

GeoffM Read Only Funster

Not a pleasant thought and I trust all is now smelling of roses.
    My better half had a bad day only last year when the contents of the cassette exploded in her face, pressure had built up in the unit after climbing a mountain pass.
    But guess who had to clean that up after the laughing stopped.:Rofl1:

Geoff

17. dealgan

dealgan Read Only Funster

ewwww.

Worst I had was an overflow one time, and another when I forgot to say I was taking the cassette to empty it ! :Rofl1:

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You sound like a real FUN sort of person.

19. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

The reason i was ''spread eagled" was that I wanted to distribute my weight (8st) evenly.. Lucky I have fixed ladders on the back.

My sister has an old Bedford which does not have ladders. Her 2 roof lights were leaking and needing replacing, so up I went ...nae problem tae the wee yin...(I did have the foresight to take my ciggies up with me)

My hubby had a great idea...you know these window sucker things that guys use to carry glass, well he said you could stick a couple on the roof whilst cleaning it and at least you have something to hold onto so to speak.

The only other major job to get done now is to get the rusty bits on the scuttle panel and side pillar sorted, but I will get it done by a body shop as I dont want to start digging and find its too big a task for me to do.

20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

My hubby had a great idea...you know these window sucker things that guys use to carry glass, well he said you could stick a couple on the roof whilst cleaning it and at least you have something to hold onto so to speak.

someone should tell you your not suppose to be up there when the van is moving :Rofl1:as even with the window sucker things I dont fancy your chances of staying up there on the Motorway:Rofl1: