Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
Well...after having a major service, wiper motor and linkage replaced and complete exhaust done...I got down to doing a major clean up (bought the Swift in October).

First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof..but so satisfying when all was clean and white.

I then proceeded to check out the cassette toilet...imagine my horror when I pulled the cassette out and thought ..oh no its not empty...

Anyone with a nervous disposition ...stop reading now!!!

I started to empty the contents (down an outside drain), then the smell hit my olfactory organ...oh by the way i had not long eaten my lunch...
I had to drop the cassette and had to dash into the house where I proceeded to empty the contents of my stomach x 2....

I could not go back and finish the task of cleaning out the cassette (that job was left to my sister's partener who has a cast iron stomach)

After a good clean with disinfectant and bleach I was able to go back and put the cassette back in the van....

I think it so disgusting that the previous owner did not clean it before he sold it....I am not usually that squeemish (used to be a nurse), but cleaning out that was the most disgusting task.....

Just thought I'd share my trauma with you all :Eeek:

eribiste

Free Member
Dec 16, 2008
Pershore
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
about 12
Oh my goodness, that is not nice!

I've just done the roof of our motorhome, what a mess, but very satisfyingly white again now. I am not brave on roofs either, I imagine me on a ladder is a pathetic sight, still, needs must.:Smile:

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Another horror story of a cassette loo, a friend of mine bought a caravan of an old guy who hadn`t used it for years .When he got it home he proceeded to give it a good clean , he tried to clean the toilet but couldn't`t empty the cassette, it was full and the waste had set solid in the inside he had no chance of cleaning it so he ended up having to buy and fit a new loo. :cry::cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
OOOOOhhhh.....at least mine was liquid.......makes me gip thinking about it.....oh well at least the 'job' is done! I am not going to allow anyone to poo in mine...unless its a dire emergency, even then a plastic bag inside the bowl will have to be placed so the offending person can dispose of it themselves.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof..but so satisfying when all was clean and white.

he he he that would be a picture worth posting:ROFLMAO:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
I am not brave on roofs either,

I found the more you go up on roofs, the more confident you get - sometimes too confident.

Main thing is to tie the ladder. In my experience, people have only fallen when the ladder moves, so if the ladder can't move you are safe.

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
I've just been cleaning my roof too, I had to pluck-up the courage to make the leap back onto the ladder after getting on the roof to remove the base of my Status aerial. A few days later I returned onto the roof via step-ladder in the van and up through the Heki rooflight, a much safer route.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
That is one of the down sides of hire...and why we are quite strict on making sure they empty and clean before they return - nothing worse than cleaning out someone elses effluent!

At least in my case, it is still 'fresh' as it were - I dread to think how long yours had been lingering....maybe all winter! yuk!:Eeek:

At least it is all done!:thumb:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Yes we had the same problem bought private 16months hardly used or emptied. :moon::Mad: well thats life as they say.
JohnM.:Eeek:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Arrg
By the way dont use bleach it rots the seals.
Empty as much as possible down the house loo or elson

then half fill the tank with biological wasshing powder and put the tank in the boot of the car. Drive to work and back or drive round for as long as you can.
this will remove all the filth and old stuff off the tank and leave it smelling lovely

Phill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof.

you may not be aware but the roof is strong enough to stand on.....i'm 17st and walk on mine.

just dont stand on the overcab bulge or too close to the roof windows/vents and you'll be ok..

just one word of caution though, and it'll make you laugh......read the thread below.

Link Removed

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
First i had to clean the roof which was covered in green algae , a daring feat for a 4' 10'' wee person...spread eagled over the roof.

you may not be aware but the roof is strong enough to stand on.....i'm 17st and walk on mine.

just dont stand on the overcab bulge or too close to the roof windows/vents and you'll be ok..

just one word of caution though, and it'll make you laugh......read the thread below.

Link Removed
Thers nothing there or is it me lappy having a weee turn John.
JohnM:ROFLMAO:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
i think the link was broken...give it a try now :thumb:
It worked lappy not on the blink and you lived to tell the tale and10,000 plus funsters.So im not the only fooool on this site.
Happy travels.
JohnM :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Blush:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Excellent John, I can just picture you sitting on the roof, soaking wet & with steam coming from your ears :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GeoffM

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
two
Not a pleasant thought and I trust all is now smelling of roses.
My better half had a bad day only last year when the contents of the cassette exploded in her face, pressure had built up in the unit after climbing a mountain pass.
But guess who had to clean that up after the laughing stopped.:ROFLMAO:

Geoff

dealgan

Free Member
Oct 23, 2007
Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2006
ewwww.

Worst I had was an overflow one time, and another when I forgot to say I was taking the cassette to empty it ! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
The reason i was ''spread eagled" was that I wanted to distribute my weight (8st) evenly.. Lucky I have fixed ladders on the back.

My sister has an old Bedford which does not have ladders. Her 2 roof lights were leaking and needing replacing, so up I went ...nae problem tae the wee yin...(I did have the foresight to take my ciggies up with me)

My hubby had a great idea...you know these window sucker things that guys use to carry glass, well he said you could stick a couple on the roof whilst cleaning it and at least you have something to hold onto so to speak.

The only other major job to get done now is to get the rusty bits on the scuttle panel and side pillar sorted, but I will get it done by a body shop as I dont want to start digging and find its too big a task for me to do.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My hubby had a great idea...you know these window sucker things that guys use to carry glass, well he said you could stick a couple on the roof whilst cleaning it and at least you have something to hold onto so to speak.

someone should tell you your not suppose to be up there when the van is moving :ROFLMAO:as even with the window sucker things I dont fancy your chances of staying up there on the Motorway:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
omg !!!!!! he is trying to kill me!!!! Better wear a safety harness as well for good measure :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Its a good job it was over the winter months and not festering over the warmth of summer.....then again it would have walked out by its self:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
just watch it if you go on the tunnal the cassette may exploded in your face as pressure builts up in the tunnal. :Eeek:

eribiste

Free Member
Dec 16, 2008
Pershore
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
about 12
This toilet thing can be worse. Years ago, when boats had marine toilets that discharged straight to sea, the head discharge pipe was below the water line and so under pressure. To discharge the contents after a 'performance' one did this by opening a valve, then using a hand lever operated pump to force the 'matter' out. This was alright, but these things could only accept modest offerings. On the vessel I was on we had a blockage one day, so muggins 'ere is investigating, kneeling down, head in pan, pumping the handle to try and see what the problem is. Of course, all I'm effectively doing is building pressure in the system. Suddenly, there's a loud PRAPPP!! as the diaphragm flap is overcome by the pressure and the toilet erupts like Mount Vesuvius, discharging everything it contains upwards.:Eeek: And no, there wasn't time to get out of the way...... Like I said, can be worse.

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
oh'''yuk....I keep thinking about the film Trainspotting where Spud had a bad case of diarrhoea in bed......awful film i know

BRITANNIA

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
Funster No
horror

Well...after having a major service, wiper motor and linkage replaced and complete exhaust done...I got down to doing a major clean up (bought the Swift in October).

I then proceeded to check out the cassette toilet...imagine my horror when I pulled the cassette out and thought ..oh no its not empty...

Anyone with a nervous disposition ...stop reading now!!!

I started to empty the contents (down an outside drain), then the smell hit my olfactory organ...oh by the way i had not long eaten my lunch...
I had to drop the cassette and had to dash into the house where I proceeded to empty the contents of my stomach x 2....

I could not go back and finish the task of cleaning out the cassette (that job was left to my sister's partener who has a cast iron stomach)

After a good clean with disinfectant and bleach I was able to go back and put the cassette back in the van....

I think it so disgusting that the previous owner did not clean it before he sold it....I am not usually that squeemish (used to be a nurse), but cleaning out that was the most disgusting task.....

Just thought I'd share my trauma with you all :Eeek:

Hi after reading about your potti trouble and thinking about buying a Caravan and wondering were I would be able to empty the toilet , I did a search and found about a system called SOG ,hope this will help you too.
:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Oh my goodness, that is not nice!

I've just done the roof of our motorhome, what a mess, but very satisfyingly white again now. I am not brave on roofs either, I imagine me on a ladder is a pathetic sight, still, needs must.:Smile:

After falling through the garage roof reaching the MH roof to clean it, breaking an ankle and dislocating toes in the process....Sod the roof!
It can stay as it is, I will only look up at the van, not down on it.
Having said that, most of it was finished before the garage roof gave way.
Managed to finish the rinsing whilst sitting in a chair waiting for the ambulance.
Dedication to a useless purpose?
John

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Con Tiki.
Get yourself an american RV,connect the hose,put the other end down the manhole,pull the lever and go and make a cup of tea !!!!!!!!!!
Thats my advice.:Smile:

Best wishes,John P:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
always leave some in the tank .if you empty it and wash out it kills the bacteria. mine as still got some in from our winter trip. its never been washed out for ten yrs. you need bacteria to eat the sh-- never use anything more than a teaspoonfull of vinegar.
works perfectly.

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
I love these lavatorial topics, keep it up.

By the way, most cassettes should have a valve that allows the pressure to equalise with the outside pressure, but not the Porti-Potti ones, they just go pop and you have to duck!

Hallii

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back