Carrying your V5 when in Europe.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GeriatricWanderer, Aug 30, 2016.

?

When travelling on the Continent, have you ever been asked to produce your V5?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    75.4%
  1. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Following on from another thread .....................

2. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

I really do not like having the V5 in the van as, if someone nicks the van they have the V5 and can scribble a signature on it and get a new one in their name. How would you then prove it is stolen?

3. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Novel approach - don't leave it in the van when you are not ?

This is a problem that millions of us in France face every day.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Experience of others seems to be you can probably get away with a good copy but the policeman we met at Santander in July who demanded the V5 was remarkably short in the sense of humour department. I had the original with me so I am not sure how he would have taken to a copy. Ultimately, what can they do if you don't have it? I guess ask for more proofs of identity and insurance documents showing the vehicle registration. Which I had but they were only printed out from emails sent to me!

5. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Fine you as they should.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Ouch. :rolleyes:

7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You can be fined in France for not carrying all your documents with you.
    I was stopped ( new gendarmes training) within a few weeks of moving to France. I was so flustered I thrust every piece of paper I had at the poor lad, including my leccy sign up agreement. He was very polite and kept asking for something else--- finally sunk in he wanted my driver's licence.
    You find most ex pats carry a passport type wallet with all documents in it. You can also be fined for not carrying I.D.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats why the germans that travel still very often wear the leather or suede waistcoats .
    i do as well .
    they have big pockets with zips etc for id/passports log books insurance . ferry tickets . etc . great bits of kit and unless your going swimming or are a naturist handy to have with you.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Most countries require original documents, and their policemen carry guns and will draw them if you get to uppity with them, and use then to encourage you to go with them to the nearest cash machine. Also I think it is not that difficult to get a new V5 from DVLA if the vehicle is stolen as most cars etc are stolen with no V5 inside.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  10. WillH

WillH Funster

Is this not what a 'manbag' is for?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Sorry Max, I cannot believe that they would draw a gun on you and use it to encourage you to go to a cashpoint. But your joking aren't you, ......aren't you. It is an offence in this country and in most others, to demand money with menaces and that includes a legally enforceable debt. There are proper means the authorities can use to secure the payment of fines and that may include impounding vehicles in some countries, not sticking a gun up someone nose.:unsure:

12. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

There is no evidence that any gendarme would stick a gun up your nose but can you think of a better way of collecting an on the spot fine? though personally I would impound and sell your motorhome if you cannot pay on demand.

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

in spain even the motorbike police have card machines so you can pay on the spot .
    if not they arrest you arrange transporter to pickup your vehicle untill its payed .
    mind paying within a certain time gets a 50%reduction of the fines .
    they dont seem to pull their guns though .

14. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

ill
    My meaning was despite the Colonel Blimp attitude of some they will get their way and they will extract the fine for breaking their law. You get away with a lot with foreign plates in most countries but once they have got you...... In 30 years of driving in many countries I have only been involved in a police stop twice and on both occasions the police have been most polite.

15. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I did once get stopped in France on the way back from the 24 hour race. But I was driving a banana yellow MR2 roadster, and I revved the engine unnecessarily (apparently) for a crowd at a roundabout. The Gendarmes kept us there for about 45 mins, checking all paperwork in very fine detail!