Carrying your V5 when in Europe. (1 Viewer)

When travelling on the Continent, have you ever been asked to produce your V5?

• Yes

Votes: 39 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 90 69.8%

• Total voters

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I really do not like having the V5 in the van as, if someone nicks the van they have the V5 and can scribble a signature on it and get a new one in their name. How would you then prove it is stolen?

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Novel approach - don't leave it in the van when you are not ?

This is a problem that millions of us in France face every day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Experience of others seems to be you can probably get away with a good copy but the policeman we met at Santander in July who demanded the V5 was remarkably short in the sense of humour department. I had the original with me so I am not sure how he would have taken to a copy. Ultimately, what can they do if you don't have it? I guess ask for more proofs of identity and insurance documents showing the vehicle registration. Which I had but they were only printed out from emails sent to me!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You can be fined in France for not carrying all your documents with you.
I was stopped ( new gendarmes training) within a few weeks of moving to France. I was so flustered I thrust every piece of paper I had at the poor lad, including my leccy sign up agreement. He was very polite and kept asking for something else--- finally sunk in he wanted my driver's licence.
You find most ex pats carry a passport type wallet with all documents in it. You can also be fined for not carrying I.D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats why the germans that travel still very often wear the leather or suede waistcoats .
i do as well .
they have big pockets with zips etc for id/passports log books insurance . ferry tickets . etc . great bits of kit and unless your going swimming or are a naturist handy to have with you.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Most countries require original documents, and their policemen carry guns and will draw them if you get to uppity with them, and use then to encourage you to go with them to the nearest cash machine. Also I think it is not that difficult to get a new V5 from DVLA if the vehicle is stolen as most cars etc are stolen with no V5 inside.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Most countries require original documents, and their policemen carry guns and will draw them if you get to uppity with them, and use then to encourage you to go with them to the nearest cash machine. Also I think it is not that difficult to get a new V5 from DVLA if the vehicle is stolen as most cars etc are stolen with no V5 inside.

Sorry Max, I cannot believe that they would draw a gun on you and use it to encourage you to go to a cashpoint. But your joking aren't you, ......aren't you. It is an offence in this country and in most others, to demand money with menaces and that includes a legally enforceable debt. There are proper means the authorities can use to secure the payment of fines and that may include impounding vehicles in some countries, not sticking a gun up someone nose.:unsure:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
There is no evidence that any gendarme would stick a gun up your nose but can you think of a better way of collecting an on the spot fine? though personally I would impound and sell your motorhome if you cannot pay on demand.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in spain even the motorbike police have card machines so you can pay on the spot .
if not they arrest you arrange transporter to pickup your vehicle untill its payed .
mind paying within a certain time gets a 50%reduction of the fines .
they dont seem to pull their guns though .

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
ill
Sorry Max, I cannot believe that they would draw a gun on you and use it to encourage you to go to a cashpoint. But your joking aren't you, ......aren't you. It is an offence in this country and in most others, to demand money with menaces and that includes a legally enforceable debt. There are proper means the authorities can use to secure the payment of fines and that may include impounding vehicles in some countries, not sticking a gun up someone nose.:unsure:

My meaning was despite the Colonel Blimp attitude of some they will get their way and they will extract the fine for breaking their law. You get away with a lot with foreign plates in most countries but once they have got you...... In 30 years of driving in many countries I have only been involved in a police stop twice and on both occasions the police have been most polite.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I did once get stopped in France on the way back from the 24 hour race. But I was driving a banana yellow MR2 roadster, and I revved the engine unnecessarily (apparently) for a crowd at a roundabout. The Gendarmes kept us there for about 45 mins, checking all paperwork in very fine detail!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

Slightly off topic but

OH Yes they would @iandsm got a gun drawn on me in Rome for trying to photograph trains at a station so they wouldn't hesitate if they think you are engaging in criminal activity

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
& I had a gun drawn on me in Belgium for crossing the road other than in the correct place. Quite frightening when you are only 12 & have no idea what he's going on about.:LOL:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes when getting van repaired in Rennes I'm not sure why but he took details from it

Joe

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I carry a high quality colour photocopy of our V5. I have once been asked to produce it and the Gendarme was perfectly happy to accept it.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Not been stopped, have been waved through with a smile as the Gendarmes were spot-checking the French drivers :D
I do carry all the documents, when in Rome etc.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Slightly off topic but

OH Yes they would @iandsm got a gun drawn on me in Rome for trying to photograph trains at a station so they wouldn't hesitate if they think you are engaging in criminal activity

Not having your V5 is hardly criminal activity but might lead the cops to think you had nicked the vehicle which would be a different scenario.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As I've said before it is not just a case of being fined that is the least of your worries.
If you have an incident where you need a police/crime report for your insurance claim they will not do anything until they have seen your V5. Shooting yourself in the foot by not carrying it.
I speak from experience happened to us twice.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Always carry mine, never been asked to produce it. In fact, I've never been stopped and long may it continue :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Needed mine for repairs in France. I didn't have and had to get it faxed through. I always now carry it and a copy.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
& I had a gun drawn on me in Belgium for crossing the road other than in the correct place. Quite frightening when you are only 12 & have no idea what he's going on about.:LOL:

I had a gun drawn on me in London.
Oh, hang on a minute, I remember now. I was a young PC and he was an armed bank robber.:imoutahere:
Wrong forum......sorry!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I do carry all the required docs when driving or riding in France. I've been stoped for routine checks 3 times in 30 odd years of coming here. Each time they only wanted to see driving licence and insurance. I think it would be different if I had an accident or committed an offence though.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have you seen the way the police look at you? :eek::eek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Like some others, I've not been asked, other than when applying for a replacement Umwelt Plakette (Germany), but I do carry quality coloured photo copies, as I do of all our important documents, when travelling abroad.
I also have them copied electronically as well. Belt & Braces. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: Nik
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I cannot believe that they would draw a gun on you
... which reminds me of a friend's tale ... he was sitting on his portaloo in his campervan in a town square in a Spain while his wife went shopping. His van alarm went off. Obviously he couldn't get up to turn it off. Someone called the police, he'd left the side door unlocked, it was flung open and he found himself looking down the barrel of a police gun. Of course, he really needed the loo at that point, no problem with his constipation. They wouldn't believe it was his van, and his wife had all the documents in her handbag. And she really likes shopping. So the moral is, keep your V5 with the van. And the doors locked.

And I do believe some of his stories ...

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have my ins docs sent from company readily available on iPad would they accept that..?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back