caravan and camping club or camping club ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John and Cheryl, Oct 22, 2011.

1. John and Cheryl

John and Cheryl Read Only Funster

This question must have been asked before from another newbie but I searched and cant find it.
    If I only join one club what’s it to be caravan and camping club or camping club ?
    Edited after reading Bob message.
    Opps I meant what BobT said see below If I only join one club what’s it to be Camping & Caravanning Club or the Caravan Club
    Thanks Bob

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. BobT

BobT Trader - Tour Operator

Who?

I have never heard of the Camping Club. To the best of my knowledge there are the Camping & Caravanning Club plus the Caravan Club. I'm a member of both, solely for the excellent campsites.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

caravan club....too many rules and stubborn/little hitler wardens

Camping and caravanning club....some rules but far more relaxed wardens.

my way to describe them is

Caravan Club Hierarchy = suit and tie with a stiff upper lip walking a British bulldog

camping and caravanning club hierarchy = bloke in a flat cap with a grin walking a whippet

• Like Like x 4
  4. laneside

laneside Funster

Very very much each to their own.

If you can get away quite a lot then join both, you will get a magazine each month from both which is as good if not better than you can buy at the newsagents. You will also get a reduced nightly rate if you are a member so the cost of membership is easy to offset.

You have twice the number of camp sites to choose from and an inordinate amount of Cl's and CS to choose from.

If after a little while you prefer one to the other then you may only need to be in one but I am afraid only you can decide.

• Like Like x 2
  5. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Think you may be a bit out of date here, we have only used Caravan club sites this year and have to say they have all been excellent, helpful, friendly wardens, great run sites, you always know you are getting with an excellent standard of shower blocks etc etc.

A few years ago certain wardens on some sites did think they were little hitlers, but there again we also found that on some independant sites.

Today we have found a totally different atmosphere on caravan club sites and would recommend them 100%. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I think this is a view that isnt quite up to date.... I think it used to be that way........Without exception my eperience of CC is really helpful wardens .......ordinary hard working people who cant do enough to help.

The normal CC club has super clean facilities.showers /toilets etc.

As for rules..I asked one warden how he wanted me to park on a hard standing and he said ...As long as its on the hard standing you can do what you like..put it on its nose if you like :Smile:

Im sure there are C&CC sites that are great but I dont think their standards are generally as consistently high as CC sites

barry

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

C&CC really need to come to terms with the fact we are not all snooty rich buggers who are willing to kowtow to their whims

CC are a much better bet.. but best of all in my book is the motorcaravan club ( if you REALLY want to join a club like that at all )

I keep looking, and I am sort of close to joining the C C only 'cos TheOnlySue rates her area group highly and reckons woman and I would fit in a treat !

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

think i'll wait for a few more replies before i reconsider my opinions as many more funsters are of the same opinion and, like myself, have cancelled their membership :thumb:

the standard of shower/toilets are not a concern for me....i have a motorhome with hot and cold running water, a shower and a flushing toilet...why would i want to use those used by every man and his dog ?

if the grass is short or the hardstanding is firm that'll do for me. :thumb:

the CC have recently imposed a 27ft limit on many sites which excludes me anyway, whereas the C&CC dont have this limit, providing they have RV sized pitchs at all.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hedgefordpete

hedgefordpete Read Only Funster

clubs

hi , we use both clubs as and where we travell. both clubs have clean and well kept sites.
    we are haveing a problem with booking over weekends at the caravan club,they are useually full .we have tried to book on a number of sites for four nights to try out our motor home, all are full.
    i understand that members book up in november for the following year, with a no deposit booking they have nothing to loose. you can join a standby list.
    there is no problem at all with the camping and caravanning club were you pay a £25 deposit on a booking.
    regards pete:BigGrin:

10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Go for both! You only have the spend five days or so with each to get your money back in membership refunds, either way, enjoy your hobby!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Joined C & CC club last month for reasons Poperjohn and Jaws posted but not tried any sites nor rallies yet

12. icantremember

icantremember Funster

IMO it's worth joining all three, C&CC, CC, & MCC if for no other reason that they all produce regular magazines which include hundreds of meets all over the UK for every weekend you can join in without pre booking.

The C&CC in particular run many THS's (temporary holiday sites) most of which you can use again without prior booking and these are usually very reasonably priced and held in some beautiful locations throughout the country.:thumb:

13. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Fancied a few days at York after the Whitby rally and looked to book the Rowntree Park CC site in York only to find it fully booked for the whole of November.... This is a fault with the Caravan Club allowing people to block book for the whole year probably with no intention of going but book just incase , and unless you book at least a year in advance for a Bank Holiday weekend you've got no chance . Still all the sites Ive seen have been spot on and the wardens ok . Mick .

14. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

the caracvan club is the regimental toffy nosed group who place caravans as top dog and MH secondary and RVs as low lifers who should be shot on sight

the camping and caravan club is the down to earth club with no toffy nosed approach to camping

i know who i would rather spend my time with and be more relaxed with

• Like Like x 1
  15. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

From personal experience the wardens are rude, unable to see that a motor home is as good as a caravan any day but turn up with an RV (only 25foot long) and they turned us away saying our RV was too big
    i was a CC member for 12 years and i would not renew after my contact with the Roundtree park wardens (toffy nosed jobs worth they are )

• Like Like x 1
  16. icantremember

icantremember Funster

You was done.............CC lists max length of 8.5M, almost 28', at Rowntree Park:Doh:

17. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

that is why i am nolonger a caravan club member
    they see an RV and assume it is too big just because it is an RV and not a Euro motorhome but what do you expect from caravan club wardens they are not well educated and stuck in a rut

if any one free camps m then a tip if you need water most MacDonald restaurants have an out side tap I just asked the manager if i could fill up and most would oblige no problem
    plus free WIFI what a deal for the price of a coffee

18. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

apart from the choice of sites and cl/cs, both clubs also offer breakdown, pet insurance, vehicle insurance etc etc. ferry booking they even will do a full European trip itinerary for you and book the sites for you if you need it.
    My advice would be to try both and see which you yourself think gives you the best deal.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We're members of both and regularly use both especially like the small CL sites.

Only time we've ever had any issues was when we had a RV which appear to getting banned from more and more sites unfortunately.

Never experienced the issues others on here claim to have, in fact nearly always found wardens to be very helpfull on both sites, they're just people doing a job. Had the odd grumpy one but definately had more bad experiences at big commercial sites than any CC or CCC sites.

Join both see which one suits you best. :thumb::thumb:

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just reread my post !!

Wat a wally !

C & CC are ok , tis the CC that are WAY too far up their own importance !!!!

( I spose being blackballed from the CC for complaining about the amount of crappy spam mail they kept sending me MIGHT tend to bias my thoughts a little :Angry: )

• Like Like x 2