Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Does anyone know if you are allowed to sleep overnight on the Canterbury park & ride? We have an early morning ferry from Dover in a few weeks time and wondered if we could stay on the park instead of driving down over night. Thanks in advance for your answers.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, there's a dedicated fenced area with waste and water on the left after you go through the barrier. £3 per 24 hours which includes use of the P&R buses for up 6 people (I think it's 6. Anyone?)

You have to make sure you arrive before 8.30pm as the entry barrier is locked for the night then. You can exit at any time.

If you want to eat then avoid the pub just outside the P&R, wander down into town.

Deleted User
We stayed last year designated parking and water available. I seem to recall had to arrive before 8pm as a barrier, but can leave anytime as your ticket lets you out, think it was £3.

Lin :)
Edit, beat me to it :)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yes you can. there is a motorhome area especially for this. £3 for 24 hours this includes the bus into town and back. There is a drive over drain and fresh water as well.
Have a good trip.

Ha too slow again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, there's a dedicated fenced area with waste and water on the left after you go through the barrier. £3 per 24 hours which includes use of the P&R buses for up 6 people (I think it's 6. Anyone?)

You have to make sure you arrive before 8.30pm as the entry barrier is locked for the night then. You can exit at any time.

If you want to eat then avoid the pub just outside the P&R, wander down into town.
if you don't take the bus its a very long wander:)

joe

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
This is the Canterbury Park and Ride site at New Dover Road. You can sit and practice imagining you are on a French aire....

Canterbury.JPG

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Best value in the UK for what you get, the bus fare is the cost of the parking, Water is there and waste. I go for a little run to give the van a drive around to keep it happy I go there for the afternoon, go shopping make a cuppa and go home again, keeps 'Gertie' happy and exercised. I long for the chance to set one like it in Dover but my proposal went straight in the round filing cabinet without even the graciousness of an answer. I had a proposal to set one up in an open and unused area but it stays the same, nothing.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Would be a long overhang but if it's quiet maybe if you're long it's a tight then from barrier to entrance but just go in exit

Joe

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, we walked into town and had a meal in the three tuns ( I think that's the name of the pub) they allow dogs in and then got bus back.

The first time we walked down to the Phoenix which is more or less a mile down the road, then walked back and made the mistake of eating in that place just outside the P&R. Won't be doing that again.

Also the Bat & Ball which is the first pub you get to isn't great.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The City of Canterbury has a very switched on gentleman running this system and he realised some time ago that Motorhomes have owners, who tend to be a bit better off than average and that by encouraging them to come and stay in the Park and Ride then they will go into the City and spend some of their money to the benefit of the business' that depend on Tourists. etc.
Unlike Dover where the Motorhome is deemed to belong to some possibly, lowlife who is there to look for anything lying around of value. The council do not like them or the thought that they might stop in the town, a bit like other councils with the same ideas of dissuasion ie parking bans barriers, traffic wardens with orders etc. Keep the rogues away from our wonderful town. Do not let them stop.
FOOLS! money spent in the restaurants and pubs is income for the town which is sorely needed here. I presented the council a copy of comment made on here, and on the Wildcampers site, which I collated into a four page document with all of the derogatory comment that were on both sites. It did not make pleasant reading about the attitude that is prevalent amongst the members of the august body that rules the town. So much for regeneration of the place, just keep the visitors out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
when we headed there last August before setting off it was rammed, only just about enough room on there turn turn around, so we went to the pub which is more or less next door - you drive past it before you turn into the aire at the roundabout, landlady made no bother at all, didnt even reqiure us to spend any money in the pub, just park around the back out of the way she said - we did feel obliged to have a drink/meal though, cant say the food was that brill but made us feel better that we had contributed.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Cost me a LOT of money last time I went to the park and ride in Canterbury. Saw some lovely bedding in the shops, which I had to buy. Lol

yea we have better quality straw down here.

OP
OP
Phil65

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the replies, looks like we'll be spending a day in Canterbury.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If catching a ferry, we always stop off at the Canterbury New Dover Rd P&R the day before, and spend a day in town. It's some years since we first had a meal in the pub at the entrance. We weren't impressed back then, and weren't impressed either in September gone. :(

It's a pity more councils up and down the country don't at least have a look at Canterbury's model. It works extremely well.

@Phil65, If using the tap for fresh water, give it a good wipe over with cleaning wipes first. It's the same tap folks shove the spout of their cassette over for rinsing. :eek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a pity more councils up and down the country don't at least have a look at Canterbury's model. It works extremely well.
I bet most of them have never heard of it, Jock, because nobody has flagged it up to them. Many (perhaps most) will not have a suitable site even if they have heard of it.

I've sent details to a few but only where I could identify a potential site. Some expressions of interest but only in the long term and depending on other factors.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Canterbury P & R Dover rd. Just the job. A bit of a drive from Terminals though.
Dover is missing out on a trick here. And boy, could that town do with some facelift.
Phil
It is having a REAL FACELIFT right now they have knocked down the ugly big office/ Hotel eyesores and the whole area around the Main A20 there has been flattened to the ground. IT LOOKS BETTER than before. they intend building some sort of shopping and recreation centre for the people of Dover to spend the money they do not have, in.
You should all go down the the A" and then you can avoid the whole dump

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
It is having a REAL FACELIFT right now they have knocked down the ugly big office/ Hotel eyesores and the whole area around the Main A20 there has been flattened to the ground. IT LOOKS BETTER than before. they intend building some sort of shopping and recreation centre for the people of Dover to spend the money they do not have, in.
You should all go down the the A" and then you can avoid the whole dump

Glad to hear it, we used to park on the esplanade before the early morning ferry. Very convenient as mother in law lives in "Margit"
I was told the council is looking at a motorhome stopover ? but when ?
Phil

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was told the council is looking at a motorhome stopover ? but when ?
That, presumably, arises from Minute 670 in this Meeting Report. As far as I am aware the investigations of alternatives haven't been concluded as yet so the restrictions haven't been brought in either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back