Canterbury

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Phil65, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Phil65

Phil65 Funster

Does anyone know if you are allowed to sleep overnight on the Canterbury park & ride? We have an early morning ferry from Dover in a few weeks time and wondered if we could stay on the park instead of driving down over night. Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Whitebirdyman

Whitebirdyman Funster

Yes, you can sleep there on the New Dover Road P+R site.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Full details Here.

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Yes, there's a dedicated fenced area with waste and water on the left after you go through the barrier. £3 per 24 hours which includes use of the P&R buses for up 6 people (I think it's 6. Anyone?)

You have to make sure you arrive before 8.30pm as the entry barrier is locked for the night then. You can exit at any time.

If you want to eat then avoid the pub just outside the P&R, wander down into town.

5. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We stayed last year designated parking and water available. I seem to recall had to arrive before 8pm as a barrier, but can leave anytime as your ticket lets you out, think it was £3.

Lin :)
    Edit, beat me to it :)

6. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Yes you can. there is a motorhome area especially for this. £3 for 24 hours this includes the bus into town and back. There is a drive over drain and fresh water as well.
    Have a good trip.

Ha too slow again.

7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

if you don't take the bus its a very long wander:)

joe

9. NickNic

Not with several pub breaks en route (y)

• Like Like x 5
  10. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

you can still get a bus back after the park and ride buses stop; so if you want an evening out you can.

joe

• Like Like x 1
  11. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

This is the Canterbury Park and Ride site at New Dover Road. You can sit and practice imagining you are on a French aire....

Canterbury.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Best value in the UK for what you get, the bus fare is the cost of the parking, Water is there and waste. I go for a little run to give the van a drive around to keep it happy I go there for the afternoon, go shopping make a cuppa and go home again, keeps 'Gertie' happy and exercised. I long for the chance to set one like it in Dover but my proposal went straight in the round filing cabinet without even the graciousness of an answer. I had a proposal to set one up in an open and unused area but it stays the same, nothing.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

would my rv fit?? 34 ft long 12 foot tall

14. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Would be a long overhang but if it's quiet maybe if you're long it's a tight then from barrier to entrance but just go in exit

Joe

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

can you take dogs on the Park and ride busses?

16. Manic

Manic Funster

Yes, we walked into town and had a meal in the three tuns ( I think that's the name of the pub) they allow dogs in and then got bus back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

The first time we walked down to the Phoenix which is more or less a mile down the road, then walked back and made the mistake of eating in that place just outside the P&R. Won't be doing that again.

Also the Bat & Ball which is the first pub you get to isn't great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

The City of Canterbury has a very switched on gentleman running this system and he realised some time ago that Motorhomes have owners, who tend to be a bit better off than average and that by encouraging them to come and stay in the Park and Ride then they will go into the City and spend some of their money to the benefit of the business' that depend on Tourists. etc.
    Unlike Dover where the Motorhome is deemed to belong to some possibly, lowlife who is there to look for anything lying around of value. The council do not like them or the thought that they might stop in the town, a bit like other councils with the same ideas of dissuasion ie parking bans barriers, traffic wardens with orders etc. Keep the rogues away from our wonderful town. Do not let them stop.
    FOOLS! money spent in the restaurants and pubs is income for the town which is sorely needed here. I presented the council a copy of comment made on here, and on the Wildcampers site, which I collated into a four page document with all of the derogatory comment that were on both sites. It did not make pleasant reading about the attitude that is prevalent amongst the members of the august body that rules the town. So much for regeneration of the place, just keep the visitors out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

when we headed there last August before setting off it was rammed, only just about enough room on there turn turn around, so we went to the pub which is more or less next door - you drive past it before you turn into the aire at the roundabout, landlady made no bother at all, didnt even reqiure us to spend any money in the pub, just park around the back out of the way she said - we did feel obliged to have a drink/meal though, cant say the food was that brill but made us feel better that we had contributed.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Cost me a LOT of money last time I went to the park and ride in Canterbury. Saw some lovely bedding in the shops, which I had to buy. Lol

• Like Like x 6