Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Glad to hear it, we used to park on the esplanade before the early morning ferry. Very convenient as mother in law lives in "Margit"
I was told the council is looking at a motorhome stopover ? but when ?
Phil
Not that I know of and I have banged on about it long enough. They are making a new one at Reculver but that is Herne Bay which is part of CANTERBURY District, so the same applies as with the park and ride same person behind it.
The esplanade is going to get a lot more fraught soon when they pass the legal notices to ban the motorhomes, and caravans from most of it, there will still be a bit left at the Western Docks end BUT that is going to be restricted when they start the new Dock development for the new marina for well to do people with nice boats, not the 'PROBLEM' of disreputable bums with Burstners,Hymers, Carthagos, and other such cheap bangers. They want to get the nicer people to visit the town?????????
The Council mentioning of the Motorhome problem in the minutes of the council refers to the Industrial area at the Whitfield end of town, There is a lorry park at £15 a night and a similar idea to put the motorhomes to a similar place and forcing them by default to use it by locking us from the town area by some means, apart from going straight through to the Docks and not even going through the town. Northampto Quay is a huge carpark just off the A20 and it is used as a carpark for a few cars visiting the De Bradelei Wharf shops and is 90% empty even in the busy time> My suggestion to theDHB was to remove the restriction on Motorhome and caravans parking there. It never got considered there are even the mains drains and water/ power needed already there.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not that I know of and I have banged on about it long enough. They are making a new one at Reculver but that is Herne Bay which is part of CANTERBURY District, so the same applies as with the park and ride same person behind it.
The esplanade is going to get a lot more fraught soon when they pass the legal notices to ban the motorhomes, and caravans from most of it, there will still be a bit left at the Western Docks end BUT that is going to be restricted when they start the new Dock development for the new marina for well to do people with nice boats, not the 'PROBLEM' of disreputable bums with Burstners,Hymers, Carthagos, and other such cheap bangers. They want to get the nicer people to visit the town?????????
The Council mentioning of the Motorhome problem in the minutes of the council refers to the Industrial area at the Whitfield end of town, There is a lorry park at £15 a night and a similar idea to put the motorhomes to a similar place and forcing them by default to use it by locking us from the town area by some means, apart from going straight through to the Docks and not even going through the town. Northampto Quay is a huge carpark just off the A20 and it is used as a carpark for a few cars visiting the De Bradelei Wharf shops and is 90% empty even in the busy time> My suggestion to theDHB was to remove the restriction on Motorhome and caravans parking there. It never got considered there are even the mains drains and water/ power needed already there.
The further developments in the Canterbury City Council area are happening only because the New Dover Road P&R has been successful and because that council has places which are available for use (a factor which also applied with the P&R).
I don't know Dover and what land the council has but the council is, at least, in a position to proceed if it can identify some land because it is a licensing authority under the 1960 Act and can take advantage of exemption 11. That advantage does not apply to the Harbour Board, which is not a licensing authority so would have to obtain a caravan site licence if it were to allow part of its car park to be used for habitation.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
DHB is an exempt body like the other statutory bodies, they apply for nothing when they build or anything. The Car park is operated by both them and DDC as a joint venture but it always empty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
DHB is an exempt body like the other statutory bodies, they apply for nothing when they build or anything. The Car park is operated by both them and DDC as a joint venture but it always empty.
As a statutory body, Dover Harbour Board may not have to apply to the council for planning permission but it does have to obtain permission from central government (Harbours Act 1064). In addition, no matter what other exemptions it enjoys, Dover Harbour Board is not a licensing authority under the 1960 Act so can not use exemption 11, which is clear,unambiguous and stands separately from any other exemption under other legislation.
Sites occupied by licensing authority
11. A site licence shall not be required for the use as a caravan site of land occupied by the local authority in whose area the land is situated.
Dover District Council is a licensing authority but it can only use its exemption for land which it occupies. A joint management scheme for land owned by the Harbour Board would most probably not count as occupation by the council for that purpose.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Will be trying it early in Feb, good reports on here.
We are planning overnight on 3rd feb before tunnel on the 4th. We have used before and it is very good and handy for a quick trip to Canterbury.
Cheers(y)
Bernie & Rona

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back