Can Yellowing Paintwork Be Returned To White?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Babyell, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Babyell

Babyell

Hi we have just purchased a MH. The cab is white but the paintwork on the body is slightly yellowish compare to the cab. Is there any way of getting this back to white? I have tried TCut but no joy. thanks in advance

2. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Never ever use T Cut on motorhome body work, it may damage it beyond repair. It depends on the GRP and the gel coat used, some yellowing can be removed, some it will just be less noticeable, but you will probably not get it back to pristine white.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I spent 2 weeks last summer sanding, filling and smoothing the back doors of my PVC conversion. The end result was a beautiful bright white back on my van.
    By january this year it was yellow and the back boxes and racks had all rusted. I came to the conclusion that I was crap at spray painting and didn't have a clue.

My solution. Smooth hammerite over everything :doh::doh:. It all looks ok until you get within a few meters but at least it is not yellow and rusty:whistle::p:LOL:. The hammerite job took 1 day....

I am sorry this doesn't help you but I thought it may make you smile ;).

I think if you have a coachbuilt you are stuck with the off white colour unless you get a pro job done on it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When I bough the Hymer I noticed the front wasn't quite as white as the rest of the body, so I asked the dealer about this, and if there was a polish to bring up the fibreglass. His reply was no, even brand spanking new ones have a slight difference in colour.. not much you can do about it ..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charlie

Charlie Funster

If the discoloration is in the gel coat you can definitely polish it out. If its in the base coat then you cant. Try polishing a localized area preferably out of sight and see what happens.
    I have been into detailing for over 30 years and have machine polished anything from cars to caravans and even jet skis .
    My bet is it will polish out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Trying a small area out of sight is an extremely good idea. I can't quote the 30 years but for the last four years I have valeted motorhomes and caravans only and as others have pointed out panels can vary in colour ( even from new) so you may well loose your bet. Oxidation or discoloration can be different on adjoining panels (different GRP or gel coat), but the worst is generally at the front of the van

• Like Like x 1
  7. Charlie

Charlie Funster

If your coachwork has changed colour. By that I mean faded or yellowed it can be polished out.
    If it was/has been like it from day 1 then its unlikely you will get the desired results.
    Car paint is built up of two layers 1 is the base/colour coat. 2 Is the lacquer which is what we polish. If a detailer polishes through the top/lacquer coat its disaster as this area would need re painting to reinstate the finish. We use a PTG or Paint Thickness Gauge which is an ultrasonic measuring device to eliminate this happening.

Fibreglass or composite bodywork is quite different. The colour is in the make up resins used to manufacture and it then has a thick (by automotive standards ) Gel coat on top. This gel coat will take one hell of a lot of polishing with no danger !

I will post some pictures of what we achieve on cars and things like Jet skis which of course are fibreglass/composite construction if anyone is interested ,,

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

very interested.. please post

9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Mostly cars but you will get the jist
    My jet ski. It was badly pitted and had typical swirl marks all over it before it was machine polished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cars
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. scotjimland

thanks Charlie.. very impressive

how much to you charge for a 7mt motorhome ? :LOL:

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

If you post what model van it is that would actually help as some vans have fibreglass fronts and sides and some have coated aluminium sides and of course some van fronts are steel and painted the treatment should be specific to the material.

OK just read your profile Benimar Anthus, anybody know the wall construction, cab is painted steel of course and the colour difference may have always been there.

OK answering my own questions here, the side walls are GRP according to Mr Google.

Try polishing a bit of the sides with a gel coat restorer.

Martin

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Just so that people do not get confused, most coachbuilt cabs do NOT have the paintwork that Charlie describes, it is a very thin single coat of colour with no lacquer. As for motorhomes having a thick gel coat this can vary between makes and models. I have seen gel coats worn through in six months by a breathable cover. So like most things in life please use caution when polishing.
    Nice work on the jet ski & others Charlie

• Like Like x 1
  13. richr

richr Funster

Hello fellow detailer :) and you are just up the road from me :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. jezport

jezport Funster

15. FJmike

FJmike Funster

16. chasthedagger

chasthedagger Funster

our hymer had yellowing around the front lights and was told by a boat owner they use brasso we tried it and it removed the yellowing just need to wash off the residue with water straight after cleaning.
    then use a restorer for boats for a good shine.

17. jezport

jezport Funster

If you are at a show I don't mind giving you a sample. Sold over 500 bottles with a money back guarantee and only refunded once. My frankia had yellowing on the corners between the cab and coach body. It is now white. You would probably need a litre.

18. rupert

rupert Funster

hi mine is AT on a merc chassis the cab looks yellow compared to body. but i found out the cab is merc white and the body is
    fiat white, so no amount of polishing is gonna change that

19. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Ditto

20. Babyell

Babyell

Arghhhh this is driving me mad. I hate being beaten by things like this. I have tried several products on different parts and it always dries hazy like there is still a layer of polish on even though I have used soft microfiber cloths and it runs smoothly across. I don't know what else to do . I have ordered some silky to try that. What else should I be doing?