Can we use sat nav in france with speed camera detector (2 Viewers)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Bare with me as I'm not sure if I'm seeing the bigger picture.

How would any police officer know you are using either fixed or mobile speed detector.

If you were using such a device and was stopped would you not just turn it off and place it in the glove box?

Confused of Cheltenham :)

That's exactly what we do.
All across Europe.
Law doesn't stop you using them; only provides for a sanction if CAUGHT using them. Fine is relatively low, and likelihood of being caught is infinitesimally tiny.....whereas chances of being flashed by speed cameras is much much higher, and could happen several times in a short period.

I'd rather be forewarned of speed camera/"dangerous road sections" in advance as even though I'm not a fast driver in the MH a sudden drop in the limit from 90 or 70 to 50 or even less on some stretches now can catch me out from time to time.

OP
OP
Springer 52

Springer 52

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Several years
Thank you all for your comments we will just disable the camera detector on it and we never go fast in our motorhome we are driving to spain and are allowing 9 days to get there so we dont have to rush thanks again for all your help

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thank you all for your comments we will just disable the camera detector on it and we never go fast in our motorhome we are driving to spain and are allowing 9 days to get there so we dont have to rush thanks again for all your help

With respect, you original question was presumably because you didn't/don't know how sat nav camera alerts work. Thats fine, people are more than happy to assist but as explained in previous posts, your sat nav does NOT have a camera detector, which would be illegal in France. Your sat nav map has cameras plotted on it and simply gives an alert of their presence, or in France the presence of "danger zones" It is NOT a detector. Perfectly legal and acceptable. Its a matter for you but you don't need to turn anything off, or do anything else

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

DL42846

Deleted User
The law in France is if you have speed camera detection whether it is turned off or not you could still be fined. Having said that I have driven in France since the law came in a couple of years ago and been stopped on many ocasions for road side checks but they have never checked the sat nav. In the business I was in I used to drive over a hundred and twenty thousand Kilometers a year

Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

As well as now banning all devices capable of warning drivers of speed camera locations, the French government is installing around 400 new fixed speed cameras and is taking down road signs indicating the location of existing fixed speed camera sites

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The law in France is if you have speed camera detection whether it is turned off or not you could still be fined. Having said that I have driven in France since the law came in a couple of years ago and been stopped on many ocasions for road side checks but they have never checked the sat nav. In the business I was in I used to drive over a hundred and twenty thousand Kilometers a year

Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

As well as now banning all devices capable of warning drivers of speed camera locations, the French government is installing around 400 new fixed speed cameras and is taking down road signs indicating the location of existing fixed speed camera sites

Yes, quite so, but that does not make it illegal to warn of "Danger zones" which is why devices from the major manufacturers like Tom-tom and Garmin now do

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back