Can we use sat nav in france with speed camera detector (1 Viewer)

Springer 52

Free Member
Aug 30, 2016
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Several years
We are driving to spain in 3weeks time this is the 1st time we will have done it and we have brought a sat nav for trucks and caravans it has speed camera detection on it but we have read you are not allowed to use a sat nav with speed camera detector even if the detector is turned off can anybody please advise us do we needto buy a sat nav without speed camera detector on it thanks

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yes, but if you get caught expect an 800 euro fine. you should be able to turn that fcility off off to save you a few euros and then it is fine

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
make sure the French speed camera option is turned off/disabled/not installed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have bought a satnav I suspect it doesn't have speed camera detection, it probably only has a database of known camera locations and flags them up as you approach them.
It should be possible to turn this feature off but if not as I understand the police can only check if you invite them into your vehicle.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you have bought a satnav I suspect it doesn't have speed camera detection, it probably only has a database of known camera locations and flags them up as you approach them.
It should be possible to turn this feature off but if not as I understand the police can only check if you invite them into your vehicle.
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. :)
I could agree with that but just to be on the safe side, I contacted my sat nav suppliers (Garmin) and they talked me through how to disable the speed camera warning but it's only the known data Base not active speed detection

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
as I understand the police can only check if you invite them into your vehicle
I wouldnt put too much credence into that tbh. the correct advice has most certainly been given above. it's illegal but most new sat navs substitute speed cameras for "dangerous road" or similar which is quite legal.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
I notice that on our TomTom satnav, we used to have French fixed speed cameras listed (and we never turned them off whenever travelling though France...ahem) , but on our last chug through France in October they'd disappeared....I can only assume they were taken off by Tomtom in an update to our unit some months ago.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I wouldnt put too much credence into that tbh. the correct advice has most certainly been given above. it's illegal but most new sat navs substitute speed cameras for "dangerous road" or similar which is quite legal.
Agreed!
Our Garmin has 'Dangerous road section' alerts that may or may not have a camera somewhere along that section.
It does not detect cameras or give specific camera alerts just warning that the section of road might require extra caution.
Completely legal as far as I know.

Richard.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We are driving to spain in 3weeks time this is the 1st time we will have done it and we have brought a sat nav for trucks and caravans it has speed camera detection on it but we have read you are not allowed to use a sat nav with speed camera detector even if the detector is turned off can anybody please advise us do we needto buy a sat nav without speed camera detector on it thanks

Certainly you can use it in France. We always have done.
You're Not SUPPOSED to use it there, but then your'e not supposed to exceed any speed limits, or ever break any other road traffic laws........
Others may know different, but I've never actually heard of anyone getting a pull and a prosecution by the Rozzers there for having such a system on their dashboard that can show fixed speed camera locations........

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
TomTom took them off a long time ago but call them something else now, and they only vaguely give the position. As I understand it, France no longer publishes where it's speed cameras are so the database may not be that accurate anyway. They also 'disguise' the cameras so no bright yellow box. Best thing in any country, I find, is to use the speed limiter to make sure I don't go over the limit. There may always be a policeman hiding in the bushes with a laser gun to catch you out.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Springer 52

You don't say what make of Satnav you have bought. If you have a Tomtom unit and it has up todate safety camera files then the following from their website should answer your question.

Germany
Drivers who use a radar detector in Germany can be given a fine for doing so, and in 2015 there was a case in Lower Saxony where a driver was fined for using a dedicated Speed Camera app. However, it is not clear to what extent this will be applied in other regions of Germany or if the police intend to enforce further prosecutions and fines.

Although TomTom provides a Speed Cameras service in Germany, users must decide themselves if they want to use it. If a user decides not to use the service in their area, they must switch off the speed camera warnings on their device. To find out how to switch off camera warnings, view our FAQ: Enabling and disabling Speed Camera alerts.

France
TomTom’s service in France is certified to be 100% legal. Instead of warning for exact locations of cameras, TomTom warns for Danger Zones around any potential danger, including cameras.

Turkey, Switzerland, Cyprus, Macedonia
In these countries all Speed Camera warning systems are illegal. Because of this, TomTom does not offer the Speed Camera service in these countries, and users driving in these countries do not need to manually change the settings of their device.

If you have a Garmin then they say on their website that Safety Camera downloads provides Safety Zones for France.

Doug

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
"Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI."

We always disable ours, not that we go too fast anyway, we're on holiday.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The bottom line is simple. Camera detection equipment is illegal. On the other hand sat navs that warn iof danger zones are not, they are a totally different thing. The major manufacturers Tomton and Garnin sat navs do not detect cameras, neither do they warn of them, only danger zones or dangerous road segments. I expect other manufacturers sat navs are similar and no manufacturer will want to sell equipment which is illegal in the country it is intended to be used in.

Leave them on and set them to give a warning if you exceed the speed limit which most display anyway. If you still get stopped for speeding you deserve all you get because not only are you ignoring the speed limit signs on the road, you are also ignoring the speed warning on the sat nav.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I can confirm, the TomTom warns of an 'Accident Blackspot' in France when approaching a camera. That is perfectly legal! :D

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
TomTom took them off a long time ago but call them something else now, and they only vaguely give the position. As I understand it, France no longer publishes where it's speed cameras are so the database may not be that accurate anyway. They also 'disguise' the cameras so no bright yellow box. Best thing in any country, I find, is to use the speed limiter to make sure I don't go over the limit. There may always be a policeman hiding in the bushes with a laser gun to catch you out.
@Reallyretired that reminded me of a journey in Morocco. Three vans travelling down an empty road in convoy, me in the middle. Out from behind a tree stepped a policeman with a radar gun and flagged me - only me - down. He insisted I was breaking the speed limit and demanded 300Dh. I didn't fancy a debate so handed over the cash, upon which he said to my wife, "you have a lovely smile" and gave her 100Dh back. The rest went in his back pocket, no receipt!
When we caught up with the others they had a good laugh.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My CoPilot app warns of Safety Camera ahead - so, assume that's SAFE to use in France ????

Probably strictly illegal but providing you don't suddenly jam on the brakes when there is a police car behind you, it's very unlikely you'll be caught with a fine.

I find the safety camera warnings very helpful and will continue to use them.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
You can probably rely on 25% ,or more in rural areas, of speed cameras out of action in France as they have been 'serviced' by the locals, with paint acid or a burning tyre!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are not meant to be speeding in our motor homes , instead take your time, enjoy the scenery whilst creating a 2 mile tail back behind you :D

Very easy in France to miss 70 kph signs,,also if sat nav not up to date speed limit may be different to what is shown on screen,,,,BUSBY,,

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I bought a cheap radar detector (legal in UK and just about nowhere else). They are not very useful as they produce a lot of false alarms from cameras on traffic lights detecting traffic flow, and automatic doors in industrial estates. They will only detect a laser if you're actually zapped by one, which is a bit late.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Bare with me as I'm not sure if I'm seeing the bigger picture.

How would any police officer know you are using either fixed or mobile speed detector.

If you were using such a device and was stopped would you not just turn it off and place it in the glove box?

Confused of Cheltenham :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Bare with me as I'm not sure if I'm seeing the bigger picture.

How would any police officer know you are using either fixed or mobile speed detector.

If you were using such a device and was stopped would you not just turn it off and place it in the glove box?

Confused of Cheltenham :)

Thats what i would do,,BUSBY..

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
It has also been the case in France that if you try and warn another driver of a police check or camera position you can be fined for it
There was a report recently in a French newspaper of a court case that changed things slightly.
It now appears that a judge has deemed that this is now nolonger illegal,
That being the case, I wonder how it would work that if the passenger has the sat nav and the driver cannot see or hear it but the passenger in turn advises the driver of an upcoming camera or radar trap.
Legal or not legal?
Just a thought

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It has also been the case in France that if you try and warn another driver of a police check or camera position you can be fined for it
There was a report recently in a French newspaper of a court case that changed things slightly.
It now appears that a judge has deemed that this is now nolonger illegal,
That being the case, I wonder how it would work that if the passenger has the sat nav and the driver cannot see or hear it but the passenger in turn advises the driver of an upcoming camera or radar trap.
Legal or not legal?
Just a thought
Same law applies in The UK,,but lets face it if you slow someone down by warning them its crime prevention and that is the job The Police are supposed to do,,,BUSBY,,

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Certainly you can use it in France. We always have done.
You're Not SUPPOSED to use it there, but then your'e not supposed to exceed any speed limits, or ever break any other road traffic laws........
Others may know different, but I've never actually heard of anyone getting a pull and a prosecution by the Rozzers there for having such a system on their dashboard that can show fixed speed camera locations........
actually one of the members of this forum got caught. even though he had removed the main part of the detector from the dashboard, one of the sensors was still attached to the rear view mirror. he was fined, the equipment confiscated plus then a later invoice for destroying the detector. a very expensive lesson. if i recall right, it was @DavidG58

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@TheBig1

It was indeed myself, but on old technology these days, I had a snooper with radar detector, only the sensor as you recall, cost me just over €800 in total, €650 cash on the spot :(

it cant be as easy to see from outside the car now, but at that time (2005) it was illegal to own or have in the car, not just use, anything advising of speed cameras / detectors

I have an elderly Tom Tom and I am sure mine still warns of cameras not hazards, I still worry about being stopped and don't take it to France

My main problem was not being able to argue my case in my native tongue, I can cope with most shopping and eating in my poor French, but really don't want to take on the law again, it was quite terrifying

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
How will I know when one of you speedsters flies past me on the motorway? Do you have go-faster stripes and lowered suspension (lol). Regards, Mike

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
@ Springer 52, If, as it appears in the OP, you have one of the XGODY type Chinese satnavs running IGI PRIMO software the speed camera warnings will be turned on automatically every time you fire it up.

Go in to settings, bottom of the first screen, top line is Alert Point Warnings IIRC, turn it off in there, but be advised that it turns back on every time you restart the device.

I keep a note saying " turn off speed cameras " beside the satnav and place it in front of the screen every time I stop, to remind me before I set off.

I have also set 'Speed Warnings' to 95%, which tells me when I reach say 86mph on 90mph stretch it tells me I am over the speed limit, this reminds me to lift my foot off the loud pedal.

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back