Can I trim this leaf spring? (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I have recently fitted a solenoid waste valve to my Peugeot Boxer PVC.

The concern I have is that the rear few cm of the leaf spring may foul on the waste pipe and damage it.

I have air assist suspension and if I inflate the pressure above 2 bar the body is raised high enough that it is very close to the lower spring leaf.

What I am wondering is whether it is possible to trim a few cm off the lower spring leaf so it doesn't foul on the pipe.

I attach a photo and have arrowed the part of the spring I am referring to. It is just dangling free and doesnt seem to have any function

I dont intend to cut it myself. I will probably ask a mechanic to do it but I dont want to make a fool of myself by asking for something that is impossible.

(I'll just make a fool of myself on here instead!) :rolleyes:

20220312_141106.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would say not a chance.

You will be introducing stress into an area not designed to take it and could cause all sorts of very expensive issues.

I can’t see a mechanic chopping a leaf spring either. It would be disastrous from a liability point of view.

If it smacks your waste pipe, it just damages the pipe. Hit a large bump with less leaf spring than you should have and the whole suspension could collapse with catastrophic consequences.

OP
OP
drpeej
Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
I wouldn't it's that length for a reason.
Why not just re-route the waste pipe it would be much easier.
Well yes, that is the obvious solution but I've already done that and no pipe bend actually clears the area as it quite close.

I may replace the section under the spring with a piece of flexible pipe.

The problem only became apparent after getting air assist added which lifted up the body and attached stuff (eg waste tank and pipe)

It's not a problem if the air pressure is kept low.

Ah well - it was just a thought :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK thats a 'no' then. I still dont understand what the function of this is as its not attached to anything.
I think you will find that the lower spring comes into contact with the upper one when the suspension compressed, if you chopped it shorter it would act as a point load high stress area on the upper spring.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
It looks like a bent spring to me. There appears to be a mark on the leaf above. Perhaps by being bent it had lowered the ride height and may be why you have chosen to fit air assist.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Far better to reroute the pipe.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OK thats a 'no' then. I still dont understand what the function of this is as its not attached to anything.
It's effectively a progressive spring, a bit like a spring assister
When the main spring compresses it contacts the second spring increasing resistance to compressing much further.

As for the pipework, I see no reason why the pipe can't be extended horizontally to the right to go around the end of the spring.
Replacing with flexy won't be any use as if it's in contact with the spring it will only rub through

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well yes, that is the obvious solution but I've already done that and no pipe bend actually clears the area as it quite close.

I may replace the section under the spring with a piece of flexible pipe.

The problem only became apparent after getting air assist added which lifted up the body and attached stuff (eg waste tank and pipe)

It's not a problem if the air pressure is kept low.

Ah well - it was just a thought :giggle:
If there is not room to re-route it why not blank off the outlet and fit the outlet in a diffent place on the tank.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I don't think the pipe that you have arrowed will not go any lower especially now you recently appear to have had fitted, air assist.

It function was to help the other leaf in the spring so now that job has been taken over by you airbags to a large extent, this is now redundant. One can see, from the rusty patch on the upper leaf, where it has been in contact.

Just leave it, load up and see how it looks, I think the clearance to the pipe will be about the same?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back