Camper contact Vs Park 4 night pro (1 Viewer)

DMartin

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 27, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Jerba Sanna (VW T6)
Exp
since 2017
I'm trying (again!) to rationalise (yeah ok I mean economise!) the far too many camping apps that I use.
What do folks reckon is the better: Camper contact or park 4 night pro?

Some considerations to kick off with ...
Camper contact seems to work in portrait mode only which I find annoying.
Camper contact allows downloads (quite large) so I assume will keep working if no phone signal.
Park 4 night pro seems to do the same (but download is smaller) so I don't understand how they might differ in this regard.

Does anyone have a clear preference for one or the other?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
P4N takes you to places for small vans in our experience.
We are very much search4sites BUT just doing research on Germany at the moment and getting so much more info out of camper contact that I may actually pay for it when away

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DMartin

DMartin

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 27, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Jerba Sanna (VW T6)
Exp
since 2017
Ta Lenny! And as you can see we are a smallish camper 🙂 But your experience (much more than us) is worth a lot, so I appreciate your 'vote' very much.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Search for Sites is my first choice, better viewing on the laptop, (though I do use the other two occasionally) plus have downloaded all the sites into my satnav.

Just means finding the site I want, then inputting the assigned number into the satnav's search box.

Also it works well in the UK.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Search for Sites is my first choice, better viewing on the laptop, (though I do use the other two occasionally) plus have downloaded all the sites into my satnav.

Just means finding the site I want, then inputting the assigned number into the satnav's search box.

Also it works well in the UK.
LesW I use s4s as well but how do you download them to your satnav , have a avtex tourer 2 camc version , anything to make things easier must be worthwhile. Ta

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We used to have Camper Contact, but when we went to Norway for the first time we struggled to find places (it might be better now). We started to use P4N and don't use anything else. I read recent reviews and zoom in on Google to make sure a place is suitable if I have any doubts.

We've been to some wonderful places over the last few years that we wouldn't have found by chance.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The free p4n is all we have used in ten years of Europe, never been without a parkup (y)
We tried the paid for version but found it too overloaded and if you put in only the kind of sites you prefer you could be missing out on a gem that is almost what you want but it won't show it, no we have the lot and do our own sorting.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this is going to sound daft to most on here as you already do it but to anyone who doesn't do it, this is what we do.
We never look for sites before we go anywhere, just go to the place we want to be, then around 4 o clock get p4n up and go to ' around me' and zoom in and then choose the closest and have a look what it says about it, if it doesn't look right go to the next and so on, doesn't take more than a couple of minutes then click on itinerary and it will take you to the gate. If it still doesn't look right do it again but if you use a filter for some specific thing there might not be one for miles.
Right the rider to this as many who followed our trip last year, a lot have now been converted to campingcarpark very recently or others have closed because of this, but against my protests about these things,they are there and useualy there will be one not far away that you can use if you don't find what you want so a good app to have is theirs which shows you where they are and you don't have to be a paid member to get the app.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
LesW I use s4s as well but how do you download them to your satnav , have a avtex tourer 2 camc version , anything to make things easier must be worthwhile. Ta

From the S4S pages

B126C5A8-6A09-402E-BA38-23D3A1590680.jpeg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Search for sites for us. Shows aires, and lists their facilities, also shows campsites, parking areas, service points, UK pub stops, campingcarpark sites, and French passions. Also has the ability to use any map apps that you have on your device.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
On the 'Home' page there is a link 'Download'
S4S.jpg

Just select the format required..

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The free p4n is all we have used in ten years of Europe, never been without a parkup (y)
We tried the paid for version but found it too overloaded and if you put in only the kind of sites you prefer you could be missing out on a gem that is almost what you want but it won't show it, no we have the lot and do our own sorting.
Hang on a minute😳, we know you started to use Camping Car Parks and promoted them on your last trip, are you getting forgetful 😂😂

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hang on a minute😳, we know you started to use Camping Car Parks and promoted them on your last trip, are you getting forgetful 😂😂
I have just said that , have you read my other posts?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I know this is going to sound daft to most on here as you already do it but to anyone who doesn't do it, this is what we do.
We never look for sites before we go anywhere, just go to the place we want to be, then around 4 o clock get p4n up and go to ' around me' and zoom in and then choose the closest and have a look what it says about it, if it doesn't look right go to the next and so on, doesn't take more than a couple of minutes then click on itinerary and it will take you to the gate. If it still doesn't look right do it again but if you use a filter for some specific thing there might not be one for miles.
Right the rider to this as many who followed our trip last year, a lot have now been converted to campingcarpark very recently or others have closed because of this, but against my protests about these things,they are there and useualy there will be one not far away that you can use if you don't find what you want so a good app to have is theirs which shows you where they are and you don't have to be a paid member to get the app.
We are opposite get up and decide where we are going that day. Look on S4S for site/Aire in said place, drive to place park up and explore or whatever we planned to do. Find that arriving mid morning we can get a place (essential at busy times and popular places) and choice of pitch. Downsides are even though you park in the middle of a great big open space 3 French vans will surround you and park within a foot of your door🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have tried most but are currently favouring Campercontact - I've downloaded local data to use "off-line", we're in Spain - which is showing lots of very suitable places. Like others have found P4N to include too many places which are just stopping spots, not suitable for overnighting, with many not even having much info or reviews.

Janneke

Free Member
Mar 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato LMC
My experience is that it depends on where you go. I am currently in Portugal and Park4Night is giving me loads of options while CamperContact and Camperstop are not. Back in France, it was the other way around. Perhaps try some free versions and see for yourself? I don't find the pro versions adding much.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've tried them all over the years.

S4S is okay but doesn't have as many as the others and not fully up to date.

CC isn't kept up to date - hubby wrote to the owners about it as he was going to pay for it but they admitted they don't actively check/monitor entries so we found that many were still listed despite being closed etc.

P4N is what we use most and we paid for it so we could download and use it with full info when offline to preserve our data and also when in poor internet areas. The downside is that there are a fair few sites on it that are no good for anything other than small van conversions but if you read some of the latest reviews it's obvious.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My experience is that it depends on where you go. I am currently in Portugal and Park4Night is giving me loads of options while CamperContact and Camperstop are not. Back in France, it was the other way around. Perhaps try some free versions and see for yourself? I don't find the pro versions adding much.
CC is probably only listing the legal ones since the law changed.
CC isn't kept up to date - hubby wrote to the owners about it as he was going to pay for it but they admitted they don't actively check/monitor entries so we found that many were still listed despite being closed etc.
We always find CC much more up to date than P4N.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We always know which aire/stop we're going to as that is as important to us most of the time as where we want to visit on the way, in many cases the aire and it's location are the same. We do have back-ups though just in case the initial one isn't suitable but it is rarely the case.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We are opposite get up and decide where we are going that day. Look on S4S for site/Aire in said place, drive to place park up and explore or whatever we planned to do.
We do very much the same, though I tend to do the planning the night before moving on. It is S4S for us, with the other two Apps (free versions), as back ups, but not used for years now.

You just need to sync every so often.
Ditto. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I’m having trouble with the Campercontact app at the moment. I’ve created an account but every time I try to log in it accepts the name and password but then just goes to a blank screen and freezes. I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the app but no difference, any ideas? This is an iPhone 12 Max Pro running iOS 16.3.1.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back