Cameras and speed limits in France!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, May 23, 2014.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Mrs Vlad here, now it's Vlad that's smouldering!!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Not long off the Tunnel heading towards Rouen on the section of dual carriageway just before the tollbooth doing the speed of 110 km............CAMERA GOES OFF??????

After paying at toll carry on towards Rouen at 100km.......ANOTHER CAMERA GOS OFF!!

What's going on?? How much are the fines?? And will they catch us back in Blighty??

Mrs Vlad x

• Like Like x 1
  2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I've flashed plenty and never been contacted yet from France....

Keep going

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Don't tell him that, I'm holding on already!!!! :Doh::Doh:

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you have a biggish MH the autocameras may register you as a commercial vehicle and snap you..
    BUT !
    There is a downside though you might think unrelated
    If you are registering as lorry to the cameras you might well be 'seen' as a lorry by auto-tolls .
    We were and on one trip down south of France it cost us a fortune.. Did not even know until we got home and there were the charges on the card statement.. One was for 82 € :cry:

5. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Obviously nothing to see under the mac then Paul. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We got flashed doing 97 in a 110 limit near Rouen in February. I think they have some over optimistic cameras round there. We went through all the tolls as a class 2.
    Van is 3m high, I guess they thought we were a large camion, nothing through the post yet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. trophychap

trophychap Funster

We got flashed last December by the camera just after going onto the A28 from the A16 must of thought we were a Truck as we were nowhere near the speed limit at the time. We have been flashed several times over he years (we have done over thirty thousand miles) in the last four years over there and have never had anything drop on the mat yet, FINGERS CROSSED.

I think the camera's there don't seem to have any leeway on the limits as our Tom Tom showed us to be 2MPH over the limit on one occasion, and its always about 4 or 5 MPH faster than the speedo.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. themogs

themogs Funster

Cameras and speed limits in

We're talking bout cameras here Paul !!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Don't worry Mrs Vlad!

Its the D Day anniversary very soon, the French will remember how we saved their bacon and, in a gesture of gratitude to the United Kingdom and it's allies, let all British drivers off their speeding fines!:thumb:

Maybe.....:Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If the cameras 'think' you are a truck over 3.5 tonnes (probably due to height) then the limit is 90 kph on a motorway / dual carriageway and 100-110 would almost certainly trigger the flash.

12. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

thanks for link,,,going for first time soon,,and the section with road signs is helpful,,its all the give way to drivers from left and right that confuses me ...:Sad: guess i will get used to it.....and as will only be going slow to enjoy the sights, we should be ok....:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Did it for the first time earlier this year and it was fine...

Take it easy and be aware and you can't go wrong...

I 'drove' some of my route on You tube, very helpful and gives you some idea...

Enjoy your trip...

• Like Like x 2
  14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Priority to the right (i.e. give way to traffic joining from the right) still exists but is not common on main roads. Where you have to watch out is in towns and on small country lanes. In towns, look out for solid white lines on ajoining roads from the right. If there is one, the traffic should give way. If no marking, it has right of way. (Don't rely on this as an infallible guide. Some drivers - notably older ones - still assume priority to the right regardless.)
    On country lanes, cross-road junctions are marked by two kinds of cross on a sign. If it is a vertical and horizontal cross (with the vertical stroke being thicker) you have priority. If the cross is an X (both strokes being the same weight) then traffic from the right has priority.

On main roads, where you see a yellow diamond on a sign, this indicates that the main road has priority over trafic joining from the right. When this main-road priority ends, you will see a yellow diamond with a black diagonal bar through it.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  15. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ref cameras, yes also had a few flashes over some time can only put it down to vehicle height.. Guess once they see a white "camping car" they press the delete button...

sb8263.. Dont panic it really is easy and you soon adapt... 95% is the same as here and the odd bits you dont know you cant look up and learn for next time.. One thing that threw me was Flashing amber lights at traffic lights (especially roadworks). they have no Green...
    Red is obviously Stop... Flashing amber basically means GO but proceed with caution..... You see it a lot in Spain as well...

• Like Like x 1
  16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

We trigger the class 3 every time, however, we press the assistance button and in our best French tell them that we are a class 2 not a class 3 and that the detectors are wrong and we always and have the tariff reduced to a class 2. It's about being polite and learning a bit of French..ll

Anyway mrs Vlad, after your attempt at driving the camper with the electric cable in, I think you should allow Mr Vlad to drive as fast as he can :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yessss..... but why does that post sound as if you are living in hope ? :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. bungy

bungy Funster

well i never knew you could do that, must save loads on fuel...are the tolls cheaper?:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Everybody's a comedian... :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Also, mainly on D. roads be aware that the triangular sign with a red border and a black X on a white background does not indicate a cross roads but the fact that you must give way to vehicles from the right.
    These are usually found on the approach to bends where a vehicle exiting a junction on your right and wishing to join the road you are on does not have a clear view of approaching traffic.

Getting back on topic. As has been said, often the cameras, initially, due to your height, see your MH as a large commercial vehicle whose speed limit is lower than a MH. We've been flashed many times when driving within the MH speed limit and so far have not been fined. :BigGrin: