Cameras and speed limits in France!! (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Mrs Vlad here, now it's Vlad that's smouldering!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not long off the Tunnel heading towards Rouen on the section of dual carriageway just before the tollbooth doing the speed of 110 km............CAMERA GOES OFF??????

After paying at toll carry on towards Rouen at 100km.......ANOTHER CAMERA GOS OFF!!

What's going on?? How much are the fines?? And will they catch us back in Blighty??

Mrs Vlad x

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I've flashed plenty and never been contacted yet from France....

Keep going

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Don't tell him that, I'm holding on already!!!! :Doh::Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you have a biggish MH the autocameras may register you as a commercial vehicle and snap you..
BUT !
There is a downside though you might think unrelated
If you are registering as lorry to the cameras you might well be 'seen' as a lorry by auto-tolls .
We were and on one trip down south of France it cost us a fortune.. Did not even know until we got home and there were the charges on the card statement.. One was for 82 € :cry:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We got flashed doing 97 in a 110 limit near Rouen in February. I think they have some over optimistic cameras round there. We went through all the tolls as a class 2.
Van is 3m high, I guess they thought we were a large camion, nothing through the post yet.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We got flashed last December by the camera just after going onto the A28 from the A16 must of thought we were a Truck as we were nowhere near the speed limit at the time. We have been flashed several times over he years (we have done over thirty thousand miles) in the last four years over there and have never had anything drop on the mat yet, FINGERS CROSSED.

I think the camera's there don't seem to have any leeway on the limits as our Tom Tom showed us to be 2MPH over the limit on one occasion, and its always about 4 or 5 MPH faster than the speedo.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Cameras and speed limits in

[HI]I've flashed plenty and never been contacted yet from France....[/HI]
Keep going

We're talking bout cameras here Paul !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Don't worry Mrs Vlad!

Its the D Day anniversary very soon, the French will remember how we saved their bacon and, in a gesture of gratitude to the United Kingdom and it's allies, let all British drivers off their speeding fines!:thumb:

Maybe.....:roflmto:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the cameras 'think' you are a truck over 3.5 tonnes (probably due to height) then the limit is 90 kph on a motorway / dual carriageway and 100-110 would almost certainly trigger the flash.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Info here

Link Removed

If You are arrested by the police or gendarmerie for moderate speeding. Fine to be paid on the spot.

Link Removed

thanks for link,,,going for first time soon,,and the section with road signs is helpful,,its all the give way to drivers from left and right that confuses me ...:Sad: guess i will get used to it.....and as will only be going slow to enjoy the sights, we should be ok....:thumb:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
thanks for link,,,going for first time soon,,and the section with road signs is helpful,,its all the give way to drivers from left and right that confuses me ...:Sad: guess i will get used to it.....and as will only be going slow to enjoy the sights, we should be ok....:thumb:

Did it for the first time earlier this year and it was fine...

Take it easy and be aware and you can't go wrong...

I 'drove' some of my route on You tube, very helpful and gives you some idea...

Enjoy your trip...

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Priority to the right (i.e. give way to traffic joining from the right) still exists but is not common on main roads. Where you have to watch out is in towns and on small country lanes. In towns, look out for solid white lines on ajoining roads from the right. If there is one, the traffic should give way. If no marking, it has right of way. (Don't rely on this as an infallible guide. Some drivers - notably older ones - still assume priority to the right regardless.)
On country lanes, cross-road junctions are marked by two kinds of cross on a sign. If it is a vertical and horizontal cross (with the vertical stroke being thicker) you have priority. If the cross is an X (both strokes being the same weight) then traffic from the right has priority.

On main roads, where you see a yellow diamond on a sign, this indicates that the main road has priority over trafic joining from the right. When this main-road priority ends, you will see a yellow diamond with a black diagonal bar through it.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Ref cameras, yes also had a few flashes over some time can only put it down to vehicle height.. Guess once they see a white "camping car" they press the delete button...

sb8263.. Dont panic it really is easy and you soon adapt... 95% is the same as here and the odd bits you dont know you cant look up and learn for next time.. One thing that threw me was Flashing amber lights at traffic lights (especially roadworks). they have no Green...
Red is obviously Stop... Flashing amber basically means GO but proceed with caution..... You see it a lot in Spain as well...

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If you have a biggish MH the autocameras may register you as a commercial vehicle and snap you..
BUT !
If you are registering as lorry to the cameras you might well be 'seen' as a lorry by auto-tolls .
We were and on one trip down south of France it cost us a fortune.. Did not even know until we got home and there were the charges on the card statement.. One was for 82 € :cry:

We trigger the class 3 every time, however, we press the assistance button and in our best French tell them that we are a class 2 not a class 3 and that the detectors are wrong and we always and have the tariff reduced to a class 2. It's about being polite and learning a bit of French..ll

Anyway mrs Vlad, after your attempt at driving the camper with the electric cable in, I think you should allow Mr Vlad to drive as fast as he can :thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Did it for the first time earlier this year and it was fine...

Take it easy and be aware and you can't go wrong...

[HI]I 'drove' some of my route on You tube[/HI], very helpful and gives you some idea...

Enjoy your trip...

well i never knew you could do that, must save loads on fuel...are the tolls cheaper?::bigsmile:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Priority to the right (i.e. give way to traffic joining from the right) still exists but is not common on main roads. Where you have to watch out is in towns and on small country lanes. In towns, look out for solid white lines on ajoining roads from the right. If there is one, the traffic should give way. If no marking, it has right of way. (Don't rely on this as an infallible guide. Some drivers - notably older ones - still assume priority to the right regardless.)
On country lanes, cross-road junctions are marked by two kinds of cross on a sign. If it is a vertical and horizontal cross (with the vertical stroke being thicker) you have priority. If the cross is an X (both strokes being the same weight) then traffic from the right has priority.

On main roads, where you see a yellow diamond on a sign, this indicates that the main road has priority over trafic joining from the right. When this main-road priority ends, you will see a yellow diamond with a black diagonal bar through it.

Also, mainly on D. roads be aware that the triangular sign with a red border and a black X on a white background does not indicate a cross roads but the fact that you must give way to vehicles from the right.
These are usually found on the approach to bends where a vehicle exiting a junction on your right and wishing to join the road you are on does not have a clear view of approaching traffic.

Getting back on topic. As has been said, often the cameras, initially, due to your height, see your MH as a large commercial vehicle whose speed limit is lower than a MH. We've been flashed many times when driving within the MH speed limit and so far have not been fined. ::bigsmile:

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Also, mainly on D. roads be aware that the triangular sign with a red border and a black X on a white background does not indicate a cross roads but the fact that you must give way to vehicles from the right.
These are usually found on the approach to bends where a vehicle exiting a junction on your right and wishing to join the road you are on does not have a clear view of approaching traffic.

Getting back on topic. As has been said, often the cameras, initially, due to your height, see your MH as a large commercial vehicle whose speed limit is lower than a MH. We've been flashed many times when driving within the MH speed limit and so far have not been fined. ::bigsmile:
Thanks for that info re triangular signs. I never knew that, always wondered where the crossroads were. In France at present and must admit seen loads of them as prefer D roads everytime. Further info for newbies is that not all villages or communes have a visual speed limit sign. Where there are houses and a place name slow down to 50kmh.

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
BUT !
[HI]If you are registering as lorry to the cameras you might well be 'seen' as a lorry by auto-tolls .[/HI]

How do you know? and more to the point how do you avoid?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back