Calor adaptor to allow LPG filling

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by markymark, Mar 28, 2010.

1. markymark

markymark Read Only Funster

2. Lincolnshire Rover

Lincolnshire Rover Read Only Funster

The only problem I have heard of is that a lot of garages / supermarkets will not allow the use of this device when re-filling.

3. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

My hubby thinks it might not be 100% safe as the cylinders are supposed to have an 80% cutoff and this probably wouldn't allow it. but don't take our word for it.

4. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

That will certainly do the trick - not sure about the hand tight bit though... There is quite a bit of mechanical advantage when locking the filler gun and I would prefer to have my adapter 'spanner' tight IMHO

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Mine has worked fine for several years,even though its not the "soper deluxe"model, but then again it wasnt the "super deluxe"price either.
    I use it at the unmaned filling stations,paying by Visa as I think there are problems with filling station owners.

6. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

Would be interested in this method myself...I think if you adhere to rated amount when filling and only fill when bottle is EMPTY....main thing it's got to be a big saving in the long run:thumb:

7. markymark

When filling the bottle it would be secured in the gas locker in the up right position. None of this sticking it in the cars back seat and covered with a blanket to hide it.
    I have never filled or seen the filling process happen so am not to sure how keen the shop staff will be. Is it just like petrol pump and starts when you lift gun?
    I would only intend to use it in France if we ran out but would like a couple of practice runs in the UK prior to our departure.

I agree Autoquest, hand tight seems a little loose for my liking and would prefer to use spanner.

I believe if you have a 7Kg Calor bottle you mutliply by 2 to get the amount of LPG litres you can safely fill up with. in this case, 14L

Please correct me if i am wrong:thumb:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This particular adaptor worries me, .....

An O ring isn't normally used between the sealing face of an adaptor or regulator and the bottle valve.. so why have they done this ?

I suspect that it was cheaper than having the adaptor machined accurately to the correct contour .. or they added the O ring later as it was poorly designed and was leaking.

Either way I wouldn't buy it ..

Just my opinion..

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You'll find it a bit difficult in France, they use a totally different filler.

10. markymark

Cheers Jim thankyou:thumb:

Glad you picked up on that as i dont have a clue, can see what you mean tho.

Can anyone point me to a current one for sale which does not raise any concerns?

Is there any video footage of the filling process? Looked on utube and it was all about camping cartridges.

11. markymark

Dont you fit a attachment to it Brian?

12. hilldweller

Well you do to Gaslow but that has a thread to screw in different country adaptors, there is no indication if this has such a thread.

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

IMV I would be extremely unhappy to use this to fill a bottle at all, whether that bottle was a 'kosher' self-refillable or a supplier-refillable type.

We have a Gaslow bottle with a fixed filler point just inside the gas locker door. Attaching the nozzle to the filler point can be 'interesting' as not all gas pumps are that user friendly, depending on how well they are maintained and/or worn, so sometimes it gan be a pain in the bum. The gas going through the pipe to the bottle puts a lot of pressure on it which is very apparent when removing the nozzle at the end of the fill so you would need to make sure that the attachment is very securely fixed to the bottle before you commenced filling, you'd then have to remove it to re-attach the bottle to the motorhome's gas system so it would be more 'pratty' that a recognised and fully fitted system like Gaslow etc.

With this method, I certainly would NOT attempt to fill the bottle whilst it was in my gas locker - if something went wrong I don't think the insurance company would be too willing to pay out as it is not, as far as I can see, a recognised way of doing it. Another question is what guarantee do you have that the attachments has been fully tested by the manufacturer? The chap selling it has used it apparently and has therefore decided to start selling it, but he doesn't tell you who manufactures it, so you can't research it to make sure it has had the necessary testing done for the purpose for which it is being suggested or what guarantees come with it. I'm not suggesting that he's telling anything but the truth, but gas is not something I would want to take a risk with so I would want to check out the ins and outs of it for myself so I could make an educated decision.

As for knowing how much gas is left in your bottle prior to filing, this is just guesswork, calculated maybe, but guesswork nonetheless. If you put too much gas in you would be asking for trouble so the tendency would probably be to err on the side of caution ... but how much is the problem.

Having been in a motorhome with a gas leak which caused a 5ft 'blowtorch' to come out of a cupboard (I kid you not!), I have the greatest of respect for gas!!!

My advice is therefore to think of how 'comfortable' you would be with this, taking into account any possible associated problems/risks, and then make your decision.

14. hilldweller

The closest to that request is Gaslow ( and any competitors out there ) that have an automatic over-fill cut off valve using a float just like your toilet. Any manual ones relay on you not making a mistake and wiping yourself and some surrounding campers off the face of the earth.

15. markymark

It says in the right up its threaded for european adapters

16. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

New Adaptor ...

Hi, the 'deluxe version' is manufactured by the same co as the std version. It comes with full instruction booklet, is threaded for the Euro adaptor (£6.99 ebay) and offers much easier transfer if you are doing several bottles.

It works a treat and I got the cost back in filling up the first couple of bottles:Smile:

Regards Richard

17. tommytli

tommytli Funster

i use 1 like this all the time, pretty much the same but with a nut for a gas spanner.
    when i go to fill it i leave bottle in the locker attach my adapter before i go to the petrol station and fill up whilst in the locker, never had a problem. when i bought ours i also bought the 3 extra adapters so you can use it through europe

18. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Having spent £££ £££ on a van why would you try to save a few pounds on calor gas by filling a bottle in a way that could be a danger and risk anything?If you survived a problem but caused damage I do not think your insurance would cover you

19. markymark

It was aimed at solving the problem of getting gas abroad rather than saving money.

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Been using one for ages.. Know of more and more people using them ( note..I KNOW people who use them.. not know of a man who's brothers hairdresser said he used to know someone who might have had one .. So no myths, no nasty hearsays,, no guessing, no I thinks... just reality and factual reference :Smile:

They are as dangerous as anything else..

A car is dangerous.. a ladder is dangerous, a pencil is dangerous and a keyboard can be lethal.. Fortunately filling a bottle safely is far easier than using any of the above instruments so providing you stick to some fairly rudimentary rules there should be no issues at all

You always make sure the bottle you intend to fill is completely empty ( once a bottle stops delivering gas to me I leave the tap wide open until it is time to be filled )

A 6 kilo bottle should be filled with 11litres of LPG ( I personally do not bother to be exact but for safety err towards lower.. So usually about 10.5 to 10.8ish ltrs )

Never fill near an open flame ( might sound like a daft one but better to SAY it than not.

Remember, every day all over the UK the same pumps are filling up LPG tanks on cars.
    Same filling attachment, simply a different container !

I use several different garages to fill up at..
    Never once had an issue

The govt certainly would not have an issue because the tax percent on automotive gas is higher than on non-automotive stuff

The first time I filled up at the local garage I actually hid behind the van .. Same concern as a lot of others !!.. Went in to to pay and the chap said 10 ltrs mate ? Filled up a bottle then ?

Yup

Thought so .. we get loads in from the caravan site up the road

So there you go
    I am sure there will be garages that will not approve, as some places employ peeps who either like to show off their supremacy ( !! ) or interpret rules to suit their own beliefs ( Sainsburys here in Thetford will not allow me to fill my 4 gallon jerry can with petrol for the geny for instance !! )