Burstner panel bubbling/corrosion - what's the best solution?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by The Lobster, Apr 17, 2016.

1. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

I've spotted some panel bubbling/corrosion in the panel that joins the conversion to the base vehicle cab in my 2006 Burstner overcab - see pictures. The first shows the general area, just to the rear of the nearside cab door and just below the height of the cab door handle. The second shows the affected area more closely. The forward facing panel is most affected, but there's a small area just around the join on the near side. On the forward facing panel the corrosion you can see is on top of some larger areas of slight bubbling.

What's the best course of action to

- stop it getting worse (assuming it will)
    - get it fixed?

Thanks.

DSC00368.JPG

DSC00369.JPG

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Looks like mould/damp to me...(eye sight not that great)..Or could it be from the way you park and water dropping down that edge creating black streaks...

3. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

I've taken a more extreme close up of the worst affected part (see below - it's about 2cm aross). You can see that there's actually a small crack in the panel (which I hadn't noticed until then)... think a small piece of white duck tape is in order until I can remedy this :(

I don't believe this is new - but clearly can't be good!

DSC00371.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Is it aluminium? Looks rotted through. Water ingress somehow?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Judge Mental

yes looks like alloy..I think its rot as said above, seal problem?...sorry

That's a leading edge so getting hammered in bad weather on the road.

6. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

It certainly sounds and feels like a solid sheet of something that isn't wood, if I tap it. And you're right - it's probably one of the most exposed parts of the external habitation area, when driving. I can't see any visible damage to the seals either side, so I'm a little perplexed as to why it should start appearing in this particular area. Can these sorts of panels suffer from surface damage (e.g. something hitting them) that then develops into this - the Aluminium equivalent of rust?

7. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

thats a bit extreem on a 2006 age van, it looks like its come from the inside, it requires major investagation, probibly cut out or pannal repalcing, or at least treating with a rust "cure" from the inside then overplating with perhaps shaped checker plate, it done correctly both sides matching it would not look too out place.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Do you by any chance live near the sea? In salty areas if it quite a common problem the coating gets pin holes in it which then starts the corrosion process which works its way under the coating. The easiest remedy is to treat and spray it, but yours has split. The split can probably be cleaned up and filled with a resin then sprayed any good body shop should be able to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I was thinking the same re inside out as the paint would protect the outside, an old caravan of mine did the same when it got damp on the inside.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I would think it's from the inside too, I wonder if it's getting in from somewhere on that vertical corner joint as there's signs of it on the other panel. Maybe check the condition of the sealing mastic above the perforations ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Judge Mental

I think this post makes most sense...pited alloy on a leading edge common....I would call a local service like chipsway and talk to a few different agents. I have a very good reasonable chap near me in London. but I think you have to determine how good they are by talking to a few

Far more reasonably priced then a body shop!

12. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

Actually that's a very good question --- I don't (I live inland in the Scottish Borders) but the van was previously owned for some years by someone who lived in the Outer Hebrides - which I'm sure must have exposed it to a salty environment from time to time. You've also reassured me a little about how challenging it will be to repair - I'll start checking with local options and see how the quotes come in. If any readers are in Southern Scotland and have recommendations - please do let me know!

13. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

I assume you mean "ChipsAway" ? If you do, it looks like there's a franchise very close to me :)

14. Judge Mental

Yes...find out if experienced though

Just explain what lenny suggested and sound him out

15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I agree that it's coming from the inside. I had an old caravan that did the same down a virticle line. I investigated it and found a rotten timber strengthener behind it and there was more damage spreading internally so I suggest a good look round to check.

16. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I had a Pilote years ago and they had a problem with a lot of vans developing corrosion on the alloy panels. Turned out to be the metal staples securing the internal panel being in direct contact with the aluminium external panel, they had forgotten/overlooked the fact that when a ferrous metal is in direct contact with aluminium is can cause a reaction.

As they said the UK owners had to wait at least a year while they sorted the French ones I decided to get rid so I don't know what the solution was.

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

If from the inside ,which it looks like, it is normally caused by a dissimilar metal, usually ferrous ,somehow getting on to the inside of the panel during construction. It doesn't take much at all.All it takes is someone grinding/cutting/sanding steel & the particles get on the ally & if not removed will eventually end up as yours is.

18. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Wonder why they never used plastic like my 04 Burstner? 20160417_151617.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Lobster

The Lobster Funster

Is that an overcab? I wonder if it's to do with strengthening for that?

20. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

No not an overcab, T615.