Burstner panel bubbling/corrosion - what's the best solution? (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I've spotted some panel bubbling/corrosion in the panel that joins the conversion to the base vehicle cab in my 2006 Burstner overcab - see pictures. The first shows the general area, just to the rear of the nearside cab door and just below the height of the cab door handle. The second shows the affected area more closely. The forward facing panel is most affected, but there's a small area just around the join on the near side. On the forward facing panel the corrosion you can see is on top of some larger areas of slight bubbling.

What's the best course of action to

- stop it getting worse (assuming it will)
- get it fixed?

Thanks.

DSC00368.JPG

DSC00369.JPG

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Looks like mould/damp to me...(eye sight not that great)..Or could it be from the way you park and water dropping down that edge creating black streaks...

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I've taken a more extreme close up of the worst affected part (see below - it's about 2cm aross). You can see that there's actually a small crack in the panel (which I hadn't noticed until then)... think a small piece of white duck tape is in order until I can remedy this :(

I don't believe this is new - but clearly can't be good!

DSC00371.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
yes looks like alloy..I think its rot as said above, seal problem?...sorry

That's a leading edge so getting hammered in bad weather on the road.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
yes looks like alloy..I think its rot as said above, seal problem?...sorry

That's a leading edge so getting hammered in bad weather on the road.

It certainly sounds and feels like a solid sheet of something that isn't wood, if I tap it. And you're right - it's probably one of the most exposed parts of the external habitation area, when driving. I can't see any visible damage to the seals either side, so I'm a little perplexed as to why it should start appearing in this particular area. Can these sorts of panels suffer from surface damage (e.g. something hitting them) that then develops into this - the Aluminium equivalent of rust?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
thats a bit extreem on a 2006 age van, it looks like its come from the inside, it requires major investagation, probibly cut out or pannal repalcing, or at least treating with a rust "cure" from the inside then overplating with perhaps shaped checker plate, it done correctly both sides matching it would not look too out place.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Do you by any chance live near the sea? In salty areas if it quite a common problem the coating gets pin holes in it which then starts the corrosion process which works its way under the coating. The easiest remedy is to treat and spray it, but yours has split. The split can probably be cleaned up and filled with a resin then sprayed any good body shop should be able to do it.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
thats a bit extreem on a 2006 age van, it looks like its come from the inside.

I was thinking the same re inside out as the paint would protect the outside, an old caravan of mine did the same when it got damp on the inside.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I would think it's from the inside too, I wonder if it's getting in from somewhere on that vertical corner joint as there's signs of it on the other panel. Maybe check the condition of the sealing mastic above the perforations ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Do you by any chance live near the sea? In salty areas if it quite a common problem the coating gets pin holes in it which then starts the corrosion process which works its way under the coating. The easiest remedy is to treat and spray it, but yours has split. The split can probably be cleaned up and filled with a resin then sprayed any good body shop should be able to do it.

I think this post makes most sense...pited alloy on a leading edge common....I would call a local service like chipsway and talk to a few different agents. I have a very good reasonable chap near me in London. but I think you have to determine how good they are by talking to a few

Far more reasonably priced then a body shop!

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started

Actually that's a very good question --- I don't (I live inland in the Scottish Borders) but the van was previously owned for some years by someone who lived in the Outer Hebrides - which I'm sure must have exposed it to a salty environment from time to time. You've also reassured me a little about how challenging it will be to repair - I'll start checking with local options and see how the quotes come in. If any readers are in Southern Scotland and have recommendations - please do let me know!

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I would call a local service like chipsway and talk to a few different agents. I have a very good reasonable chap near me in London. but I think you have to determine how good they are by talking to a few

Far more reasonably priced then a body shop!

I assume you mean "ChipsAway" ? If you do, it looks like there's a franchise very close to me :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I agree that it's coming from the inside. I had an old caravan that did the same down a virticle line. I investigated it and found a rotten timber strengthener behind it and there was more damage spreading internally so I suggest a good look round to check.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I had a Pilote years ago and they had a problem with a lot of vans developing corrosion on the alloy panels. Turned out to be the metal staples securing the internal panel being in direct contact with the aluminium external panel, they had forgotten/overlooked the fact that when a ferrous metal is in direct contact with aluminium is can cause a reaction.

As they said the UK owners had to wait at least a year while they sorted the French ones I decided to get rid so I don't know what the solution was.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If from the inside ,which it looks like, it is normally caused by a dissimilar metal, usually ferrous ,somehow getting on to the inside of the panel during construction. It doesn't take much at all.All it takes is someone grinding/cutting/sanding steel & the particles get on the ally & if not removed will eventually end up as yours is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back