BT Home Hub & BT Fon

Discussion in 'Computers' started by nomadic, Sep 6, 2012.

1. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Just had a flyer from BT offering what seems a reasonable offer, they say the BT Fon has access to 4 million wi-fi hot spots nationwide, and a also in Europe.

Can anyone advise how good this service is in say France and Spain

We are currently using 3's Mifi, but that contract is up for renewal now, hence looking around, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation:thumb:

2. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Bear in mind that many BTFON hotspots are in people's homes, its a shared service in the UK with BT broadband. So to use in the UK in many cases you need to drive around housing estates and park outside peoples houses. You may not wish to do this, especially in a motorhome!

That said you also get BT openzone hotspots included.

In theory this is an excellent idea. I have had the facility for some years, but unfortunately I can honestly say that I have only actually used it about twice in the UK and never elsewhere because I have found the hotspots not to be where I am! Maybe I should try harder.
    But in other countries I have never been short of hotspots from other sources for very long.

3. brynric

brynric Funster

I've had fair success in the UK and virtually non in France, even using a booster. But then we were often in fairly rural spots.
    I'm afraid I cant speak for Spain.
    I think this will take you to a map. http://maps.fon.com/

4. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

As stated by a previous poster, the theory is good but in practice it can be difficult to get a free signal. Plus BTs customer service contact is not easy.

5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Cr** is the answer..
    Had FON for almost 2 years, UK is good can use many BT spots..

France, I have only ever had 1 connection and that turned up in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere but very handy.. Other than that not much else.

Spain, Even using my wifi extender aerial in big town like Benidorm, never found any..:Angry:
    Although their map show many spots, guess everyone must have turned their routers off when we were there..

I think I paid a one off of about £40 for the plug in FON box, happy with use that i have had in UK..

6. Johno

Johno Read Only Funster

I'm sending this reply via a BT hotspot at Tavistock C&CC it seems to be working well at present but I haven't used the system abroad.

John.

7. lorger

lorger Funster

I have found loads of places to connect in the UK only a few abroad though.

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We have it and have founds some good spots for fon, but we also have 3 mifi and no way would I consider giving my 3 up for the fon, 3 mifi is much more reliable in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Thank you very much for all your input.

We have searched the Fon map in France, and it is indeed "few and far between Fon spots"

Looks like the 3 Mifi wins, will look into unlocking it, to avoid monthly contract payments.

Once again thanks one and all:Smile: