scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
we keep hearing about a bridge in france that we ought to have a look at? Cant remember the name,and is there a place we can stay near there on route to spain end of wk.ta

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Enword thats the one,many thanks now to try and find somewhere near to stay so we can have a look at it.ta

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We'v been over it a few time's but never had time to stop :( But my brother said they stopped in a campsite/Aires right under it! sure someone will be along soon to confirm.

Reactions: f6c

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You have to decide whether you want to take the quick route and go over it, then you don't get to see it. Or take the slower road down into the valley and view from below and it is spectacular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Pont du Normandie is worth a look too. Millau is a lovely town, well worth a visit and then you get to see the bridge.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we pulled up to the aire in Millau centre last February, a grim looking place (the aire that is) couldn't get our card to work so ended up with a multi point turn in the entrance to go elsewhere

there is a village with a car park and a great view, quite a journey in our 8m MH and a sign saying no overnight parking when we got there, but there are a few view points points created when the bridge was built that would make excellent over night spots, just all a little hard to find and get to due to the hills

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That is on a toll free motorway north/south until you get to the bridge - that costs 10 Euro to cross.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
We will go down and try and find that view David,looks stunning

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pont du Normandie is worth a look too. Millau is a lovely town, well worth a visit and then you get to see the bridge.
I must admit the Pont du Normandie is more 'exciting' to cross ... you just see it looming up in the distance and wonder how on earth you'll get up the 'angle' of the road!!!

As for Millau, you are much better of going into the town to see it, rather than over it, longer yes but who's in a hurry!!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You can stop overnight a couple of hundred yards from the visitor centre,

Martin

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Thanks Mel we are in no hurry,and we will go to village,ill look up Pont du Normandie.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We will go down and try and find that view David,looks stunning

just note that view was taken where it says no overnight parking (y)

might be OK if smaller than us and if not there for days, I just don't like abusing local signage

not exactly sure where @funflair is suggesting, but if it is the visitor centre immediately under the bridge that could be useful, on the road we took out of Millau going to Le Rocher we passed a signpost for the visitor centre, the road looked tiny but presumably must be suitable

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just to add: while you are at Millay you are at the perfect place for Gorge du tarn.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Bailey58 - If I've told the wife once not to pick the flowers, I must have told her a hundred times .........

The bridge in the picture isn't bad either ......

Pont de Normandie - at speed -

For best quality picture click on the 'Cog', bottom right hand side of the Youtube video, and select 720pHD or 1080pHD

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Actually, I've just thought of another one, even better than Normandie ... the one at St Nazaire ... now that IS impressive from a distance!!!

Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
just note that view was taken where it says no overnight parking (y)

might be OK if smaller than us and if not there for days, I just don't like abusing local signage

not exactly sure where @funflair is suggesting, but if it is the visitor centre immediately under the bridge that could be useful, on the road we took out of Millau going to Le Rocher we passed a signpost for the visitor centre, the road looked tiny but presumably must be suitable

Sorry it was late last night and my bed was awaiting, this is from my post this year when we crossed the bridge.

We were parked in the visitor aire which is accessible from the town without going over the bridge but you can walk straight through to the visitor centre which is open 10 to 6 and is interesting.
I will add it is not an official overnight stop and no facilities as such other than what is at the visitor centre.

We had a really good nights sleep though, very quiet.

This is the route to the aire without going over the bridge, J45 off the motorway or us D911 out of Millau.

The Red flag is the parking spot we used, if you look carefully you will see that it is not connected to the service roads that come from the "peage" section of the bridge so access is free, you can walk to the visitor centre and it well worth a couple of hours looking around, @DavidG58 if you went up to and crossed the bridge the road would have been off on your left, good road and good access.

Oh, and the bridge cost us Euro26 @class 3.

image.jpg

image-1.jpg

View from our parking spot.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you have time come of the motoirway early and head for les vignes then follow the tarn down towards millau some stunning scenery if you have even more time come of at banassac head for laval du tarn and follow it down from there

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
For those who don't know, the Millau bridge was designed and built by our own lovely Norman Foster!
I suspect he probably had some local builders in to help him put the pieces together.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back