Breakdown Cover

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by rich g, Mar 30, 2015.

1. rich g

rich g Funster

I use Green Flag for Europe,is there a more reasonable company.

Thank you

Rich

2. Greytop

Greytop Funster

I have a Nationwide Flexplus current account, which costs me £10 per month. With this account I get free breakdown cover for my car and my Motorhome plus worldwide travel insurance. This I find great value for money as there are quite a few more perks to go with it too.
    Please note I am not connected with Nationwide in any form, nor employed by them.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Dave K

Dave K Funster

I get AA cover through having a Lloyds bank account, it's similar to Greytops with built in travel insurance, I also have breakdown cover through having insurance with Caravan Guard which makes me feel a little happier as they have the correct vehicles for recovery if needed, Safeguard also provide this service i think

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I'm with the RAC, but they only cover up to 3.5t and apparently it is cheaper to get their cover through the CC than to go direct to them and it was a chap at the RAC who told me this.

The deals with bank accounts look very attractive but I would check the level of cover, especially the medical insurance, they sound too good to be true! I'm not knocking them but wonder how they can do it so cheaply.

ADAC are probably the best but they don't seem to be taking on new UK members, but worth trying, you might get them on a good day.

5. Greytop

Greytop Funster

I certainly don't blame you for being sceptical regarding some bank accounts, as I was also. However when I looked into the level of cover for breakdown, and travel insurance I was amazed. In fact Nationwide have just improved their offering by adding Motorhome breakdown cover a few weeks ago.
    Whether they are getting the critical mass of customers in before they increase their charges I don't know.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Greytop

Greytop Funster

7. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

I've heard the breakdown cover offered by Nationwide is a pretty good deal - however, is there a weight limit?

I already had RAC cover for cars and when I asked about including the m'home they would only cover homes up to 3.5t; no good for me!

David

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We are with RAC but through C+CC not CC

go direct they have a 3.5T limit, go through C+CC it is cheaper and no weight limit

Bonkers

9. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

I am currently "broken down" in Normandy and have spent two nights camped outside of a Merc dealership in Nuefchatel en Bray awaitng an injector for the van (I was told that it is a rare beast).

I have been with ADAC for 6 years (up to 7.5 tonne and 10mtres long and coverage outside the EU) I've called them out twice, cheap and cheerful adequate service.

This year I kept that on (for Morocco) but also had a free one provided by my insurance. It was with the RAC and I must say I was very impressed. I had called them out because I have hear tales of ADAC terminating membership for non Germans that call them out too often.

This time it was a bit trumatic. The recovery took 3 hours (after they arrived) to get me 2km to the tha garage. I had spent a couple of days on an aire and was in an ackward position. The truck they sent out could handle us (6 tonne) but we had to winched out nearly 80 yards backwards. So they had to send for another with a longer winch Then they had to send for a mechanic to disconnect the drive shaft as it is fully auto. Then it was discovered that as I had been on the aire a few days, the air supply was not sufficient to release the air brakes without the engine running. So they then had to get a big portable compressor.

All very exicting and stressful. BUT the RAC were wonderful. I must have had a call every 2 hours from them. Keeping me inthe loop over the last 3 days and they have chivved the garage on.

After the recovery I took to the bottle early, such was the relief and got myself banned from one of my forums. LOL but that is another story :)

I can't praise the RAC enough though

Dick

• Like Like x 5
  10. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

The Nationwide document says:
    Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when
    fully loaded:
    – Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)
    – Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight
    – All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width,
    3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight

The "any of the following" is a little confusing when each line deals with a particular class of vehicle.

Gordon

11. CJB

CJB Funster

I have AA with Lloyds but it only covers up to 3.5t. In addition to this I have LV Britannia Rescue for UK + Europe up to 7.5t and 8m in length.

I also got the free Ford European cover when I had the van serviced, but it only covers up to 5.5m, which makes it worthless!

12. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

I went down to Nationwide today and opened an account. For £10 per month,, and interest @ 3% (on first £2500) means only paying £45.00 per annum for motorhome, car breakdown cover and 31 days (upgradeable to year for £20.00) holiday insurance, plus other benefits,, win win for us. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

Now look Bertie , I told you about bragging before, haven't I, and you did say you'd let me know when you came into some money, so that we could share, given the old principle of what's yours is mine and what's mine is my own!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

we are with RAC Arrival through the C&CC no size or weight restrictions
    Brian & Jo

15. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

We tried to get breakdown cover and were refused on size by Green Flag, Rac and others, eventually obtained cover thru C&CC but charged £140.00 for just 8 weeks and only whilst abroad,, cover stopped on UK shores. Will now try and get it cancelled but not holding my breath.

16. Voyger1010

Voyger1010 Funster

[
    What size are you Bertie "bragging again" lol

17. parknride

parknride Funster

Can you have more than one European trip away with the holiday insurance cover?

18. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

just over 7 mtrs and 3.2 high with top box,, 3500kg,

• Like Like x 1
  19. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

When I told the "Personal Banking Manager" (posh eh) that we were going away for 8 weeks he said we would need to pay approx £20.00 for extended cover for year ?? as we were away for over 31 days. Not yet looked into that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bertiebasset

bertiebasset Funster

Just been informed by C&CC we will get all monies refunded less admin of £15.00 for breakdown cover with INTANA that I wished to cancel. so can now have ice cream every day we are away.

:cool:

• Like Like x 1