Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I use Green Flag for Europe,is there a more reasonable company.

Thank you

Rich

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
I have a Nationwide Flexplus current account, which costs me £10 per month. With this account I get free breakdown cover for my car and my Motorhome plus worldwide travel insurance. This I find great value for money as there are quite a few more perks to go with it too.
Please note I am not connected with Nationwide in any form, nor employed by them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I get AA cover through having a Lloyds bank account, it's similar to Greytops with built in travel insurance, I also have breakdown cover through having insurance with Caravan Guard which makes me feel a little happier as they have the correct vehicles for recovery if needed, Safeguard also provide this service i think

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm with the RAC, but they only cover up to 3.5t and apparently it is cheaper to get their cover through the CC than to go direct to them and it was a chap at the RAC who told me this.

The deals with bank accounts look very attractive but I would check the level of cover, especially the medical insurance, they sound too good to be true! I'm not knocking them but wonder how they can do it so cheaply.

ADAC are probably the best but they don't seem to be taking on new UK members, but worth trying, you might get them on a good day.

Upvote 0

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
I certainly don't blame you for being sceptical regarding some bank accounts, as I was also. However when I looked into the level of cover for breakdown, and travel insurance I was amazed. In fact Nationwide have just improved their offering by adding Motorhome breakdown cover a few weeks ago.
Whether they are getting the critical mass of customers in before they increase their charges I don't know.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
I've heard the breakdown cover offered by Nationwide is a pretty good deal - however, is there a weight limit?

I already had RAC cover for cars and when I asked about including the m'home they would only cover homes up to 3.5t; no good for me!

David

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are with RAC but through C+CC not CC

go direct they have a 3.5T limit, go through C+CC it is cheaper and no weight limit

Bonkers

Upvote 0

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I am currently "broken down" in Normandy and have spent two nights camped outside of a Merc dealership in Nuefchatel en Bray awaitng an injector for the van (I was told that it is a rare beast).

I have been with ADAC for 6 years (up to 7.5 tonne and 10mtres long and coverage outside the EU) I've called them out twice, cheap and cheerful adequate service.

This year I kept that on (for Morocco) but also had a free one provided by my insurance. It was with the RAC and I must say I was very impressed. I had called them out because I have hear tales of ADAC terminating membership for non Germans that call them out too often.

This time it was a bit trumatic. The recovery took 3 hours (after they arrived) to get me 2km to the tha garage. I had spent a couple of days on an aire and was in an ackward position. The truck they sent out could handle us (6 tonne) but we had to winched out nearly 80 yards backwards. So they had to send for another with a longer winch Then they had to send for a mechanic to disconnect the drive shaft as it is fully auto. Then it was discovered that as I had been on the aire a few days, the air supply was not sufficient to release the air brakes without the engine running. So they then had to get a big portable compressor.

All very exicting and stressful. BUT the RAC were wonderful. I must have had a call every 2 hours from them. Keeping me inthe loop over the last 3 days and they have chivved the garage on.

After the recovery I took to the bottle early, such was the relief and got myself banned from one of my forums. LOL but that is another story :)

I can't praise the RAC enough though

Dick

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I've heard the breakdown cover offered by Nationwide is a pretty good deal - however, is there a weight limit?

David

The Nationwide document says:
Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when
fully loaded:
– Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)
– Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight
– All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width,
3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight

The "any of the following" is a little confusing when each line deals with a particular class of vehicle.

Gordon

Upvote 0

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I have AA with Lloyds but it only covers up to 3.5t. In addition to this I have LV Britannia Rescue for UK + Europe up to 7.5t and 8m in length.

I also got the free Ford European cover when I had the van serviced, but it only covers up to 5.5m, which makes it worthless!

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I went down to Nationwide today and opened an account. For £10 per month,, and interest @ 3% (on first £2500) means only paying £45.00 per annum for motorhome, car breakdown cover and 31 days (upgradeable to year for £20.00) holiday insurance, plus other benefits,, win win for us. (y)

Upvote 0

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
I went down to Nationwide today and opened an account.
Now look Bertie , I told you about bragging before, haven't I, and you did say you'd let me know when you came into some money, so that we could share, given the old principle of what's yours is mine and what's mine is my own!

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
we are with RAC Arrival through the C&CC no size or weight restrictions
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
we are with RAC Arrival through the C&CC no size or weight restrictions
We tried to get breakdown cover and were refused on size by Green Flag, Rac and others, eventually obtained cover thru C&CC but charged £140.00 for just 8 weeks and only whilst abroad,, cover stopped on UK shores. Will now try and get it cancelled but not holding my breath.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I went down to Nationwide today and opened an account. For £10 per month,, and interest @ 3% (on first £2500) means only paying £45.00 per annum for motorhome, car breakdown cover and 31 days (upgradeable to year for £20.00) holiday insurance, plus other benefits,, win win for us. (y)
Can you have more than one European trip away with the holiday insurance cover?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Can you have more than one European trip away with the holiday insurance cover?
When I told the "Personal Banking Manager" (posh eh) that we were going away for 8 weeks he said we would need to pay approx £20.00 for extended cover for year ?? as we were away for over 31 days. Not yet looked into that.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Just been informed by C&CC we will get all monies refunded less admin of £15.00 for breakdown cover with INTANA that I wished to cancel. so can now have ice cream every day we are away.

:cool:

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Got me thinking because have had some quotes for annual ins. But only allow for a maximum of about 120 days total cover per year. However, if you went away, didn't claim, went again and needed to claim, would they know??? (Did you follow that) sorry. Would like to open the account just so I could have a personal banking manager, oops forgot, hhmbo is that!
When I told the "Personal Banking Manager" (posh eh) that we were going away for 8 weeks he said we would need to pay approx £20.00 for extended cover for year ?? as we were away for over 31 days. Not yet looked into that.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Oh that's why your paying more for less lol

Hi Voyager,
I spent time searching for cover late into one evening and was rejected by lots of people due to size, weight. I eventually went with C&CC breakdown and that was with Intana at £142.00 for the 61 days we are away, only abroad and no cover in the UK. Although I thought this expensive I would not go without cover. The van is a standard Autocruise Wentworth 7mtrs with Thule bike rack on rear 0.5m and top box so 10'3" high, plated at 3500kgs. One place would only take under 5.5mtrs, Green flag have a strict 7mtr length and 3mtrs height. Driver Guardian up to 6.5mtrs. RAC were quoting £170+. which is why I opted for Intana. Now I have 365 day breakdown cover for home and abroad, 31 day holiday cover for us 2, phone cover (not needed), extended warranty for electrical goods purchased within last 12 months and new up to £2000 cost. And with the card we can withdraw up to £500 per day with no commission charges (providing I am taking local currency). The cost is £10.00 per month (£120 per year)but with interest at 3% on the first £2500 we have put in,(£75.00 per year) it is a no brainer at £45.00 per year for all that cover. so how can I be paying more for less ?? :)

Upvote 0

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
I spent time searching for cover late into one evening
Phew Bertie, I was teasing, but what can I say, apart from will you do mine in future !
The issue about weight and length recovery of vehicle does seem to be a no-no with some insurers, but RAC breakdown and recovery UK and abroad with Comfort is not, I checked as I always do when renewing. Likewise with safeguard, what really upsets me about the insurers is that the prices charged change to suit their financial pockets and not ours , which is why I always shop around, this year a saving of 25% was achieved on the renewal quote. so all good.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back