breakdown cover for france

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by sb8263, May 4, 2014.

1. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

is this a good break down cover quote for france,,,,its from the AA,,,,? or do you folks know better companies to use ?:Sad:

Full cover
    Annual
    £148.40
    Select

Cover includes:
    £6,000 claim limit
    £3,600 for alternative travel
    £1,500 for emergency accommodation We will get your vehicle back to the UK or your destination, if cheaper Up to £50,000* of legal protection after a road accident

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We had a windscreen smashed by a stone thrown up from a passing car. Just landed at Le Havre. We had AA five star insurance, so we rang their emergency number, and explained the situation. Yes, not a problem, was the reply. We will have a windscreen awaiting you, in................DOVER! We explained that we were just starting a three week holiday, but deaf ears was all that we got in return.
    No, they wouldn't ship it over the water, unless we paid for it!!
    Will never use them again after that. :Angry:

3. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

who do you use now ?

4. Whatton

Whatton Read Only Funster

Thats because the product you bought is car insurance, you should have bought breakdown cover.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I insure with safeguard
    It includes unlimited mileage and time abroad with AA Breakdown/recovery
    £346 all in comprehensive and I don't have full no claims yet
    My van being 4250kg is not a problem either

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I am with Comfort, who use RAC breakdown cover for Europe. They seem very good from our single use of them, and have no length limit unlike the AA.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

we are with caravan guard and our fully comp insurance covers us for europe,,but i guess will reduce to 3rd party so will need get top up,,,but our breakdown only covers us in uk with them......:Sad:

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I will never use the AA again after they left me stranded for a full day. Every time I phoned I was told they were within 15 minutes of me.

9. chaser

chaser Funster

We have got greenflag , don't know if they are any good but got it through topcashback £107 and £53 cash back so total cost £54 good deal till we find out how good they are, hope we don't have to find out:Wink:

10. jaytee74

jaytee74 Read Only Funster

if i may ask the question do you need cover for 12 months if not and you only need cover for a month or two then go with brittannia insurance but buy it through ASDA as you can buy what months you need at £12.50 a month for 5 star cover so say from now MAY to end of september £50.00 cant be bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope that helps.

11. telsdog

telsdog Funster

I can't knock AA European breakdown cover. Couple of years ago broke down near Reims. Turbo blown. Got recovered to a car pound. Taxi into Reims to pick up hire car. Drove to Calais and picked up British reg hire car. Tunnel home and arrived about 2 hours later than anticipated. Car delivered back to UK 1 week later. Every expense covered even the taxi.

• Like Like x 1
  12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

A £6000 total claim limit sounds awful small for me

13. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Matters not who your breakdown cover is with. If you breakdown on a French toll road you are NOT covered. Not many know this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. telsdog

telsdog Funster

My breakdown was on a toll road. The phones go to the police and they arranged the recovery. The recovery firm rang the AA and obtained authorisation. I did not spend anything apart from a tip to recovery driver.

15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

All French toll roads have there own licensed breakdown and recovery companies. No outside breakdown company is allowed on a French toll road. Only the franchised company is allowed to come out to you, they can take you to the nearest exit where your own recovery company takes over. But that is all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. telsdog

telsdog Funster

Don't know if things have changed in the last couple of years. Can only relate my own experience. I know the French police control the phones. They contacted the recovery company. The driver spoke to the AA and I was taken off the toll road to the recovery company pound. I was in a car not a motorhome.

17. CaravanGuard

CaravanGuard Read Only Funster

Whilst the motorhome policy provides comprehensive UK cover, we always recommend that customers consider the optional EU cover which includes EU breakdown in 28 countries.

Thanks

Lucie

• Like Like x 1
  18. Viennese

Viennese Funster

If you get annual AA breakdown cover with Safeguard insurance it is only £80 extra and covers UK and Europe - well that's what I pay, and I wouldn't dream of going for any other cover after we were looked after so well when we broke down in France. :thumb:

19. carolyn

carolyn Funster

We had a tyre blowout on the toll road. We had to phone the emergency services and they sent a Recovery truck. They towed us to a safe place and changed the wheel. We had to pay over e200 but at our destination we notified the AA, they gave us a job number and on our return we claimed it all back. If I had used a roadside phone it is easier for the emergency services to locate us but I couldn't see one , un pneu crevee was the problem!
    We had to use the AA in France again last year when the sliding door on our van would not close by miles and obviously was not safe to drive or watertight. An englishman turned up in his yellow AA van and sorted it. There are a few teams in the main holiday areas from June til first week in September. Apparently this is very cost effective as lots of minor things they can sort out at the roadside whereas the French mechanics prefer to take the van away to repair and for us motorhomers they then have to pay for our accomodation. We have the AA through Safeguard, waiting to see what they quote for our next year. Good luck:Smile:

20. CJB

CJB Funster