sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
is this a good break down cover quote for france,,,,its from the AA,,,,? or do you folks know better companies to use ?:Sad:

Full cover
Annual
£148.40
Select

Cover includes:
£6,000 claim limit
£3,600 for alternative travel
£1,500 for emergency accommodation We will get your vehicle back to the UK or your destination, if cheaper Up to £50,000* of legal protection after a road accident

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had a windscreen smashed by a stone thrown up from a passing car. Just landed at Le Havre. We had AA five star insurance, so we rang their emergency number, and explained the situation. Yes, not a problem, was the reply. We will have a windscreen awaiting you, in................DOVER! We explained that we were just starting a three week holiday, but deaf ears was all that we got in return.
No, they wouldn't ship it over the water, unless we paid for it!!
Will never use them again after that. :Angry:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
We had a windscreen smashed by a stone thrown up from a passing car. Just landed at Le Havre. We had AA five star insurance, so we rang their emergency number, and explained the situation. Yes, not a problem, was the reply. We will have a windscreen awaiting you, in................DOVER! We explained that we were just starting a three week holiday, but deaf ears was all that we got in return.

who do you use now ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Whatton

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm

Thats because the product you bought is car insurance, you should have bought breakdown cover.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I insure with safeguard
It includes unlimited mileage and time abroad with AA Breakdown/recovery
£346 all in comprehensive and I don't have full no claims yet
My van being 4250kg is not a problem either

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am with Comfort, who use RAC breakdown cover for Europe. They seem very good from our single use of them, and have no length limit unlike the AA.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
I am with Comfort, who use RAC breakdown cover for Europe. They seem very good from our single use of them, and have no length limit unlike the AA.

we are with caravan guard and our fully comp insurance covers us for europe,,but i guess will reduce to 3rd party so will need get top up,,,but our breakdown only covers us in uk with them......:Sad:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I will never use the AA again after they left me stranded for a full day. Every time I phoned I was told they were within 15 minutes of me.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have got greenflag , don't know if they are any good but got it through topcashback £107 and £53 cash back so total cost £54 good deal till we find out how good they are, hope we don't have to find out:winky:

Upvote 0

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
if i may ask the question do you need cover for 12 months if not and you only need cover for a month or two then go with brittannia insurance but buy it through ASDA as you can buy what months you need at £12.50 a month for 5 star cover so say from now MAY to end of september £50.00 cant be bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5years Motorhome. 25yr tugger
I can't knock AA European breakdown cover. Couple of years ago broke down near Reims. Turbo blown. Got recovered to a car pound. Taxi into Reims to pick up hire car. Drove to Calais and picked up British reg hire car. Tunnel home and arrived about 2 hours later than anticipated. Car delivered back to UK 1 week later. Every expense covered even the taxi.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Matters not who your breakdown cover is with. If you breakdown on a French toll road you are NOT covered. Not many know this.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My breakdown was on a toll road. The phones go to the police and they arranged the recovery. The recovery firm rang the AA and obtained authorisation. I did not spend anything apart from a tip to recovery driver.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My breakdown was on a toll road. The phones go to the police and they arranged the recovery. The recovery firm rang the AA and obtained authorisation. I did not spend anything apart from a tip to recovery driver.

All French toll roads have there own licensed breakdown and recovery companies. No outside breakdown company is allowed on a French toll road. Only the franchised company is allowed to come out to you, they can take you to the nearest exit where your own recovery company takes over. But that is all.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2013
Rochester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All French toll roads have there own licensed breakdown and recovery companies. No outside breakdown company is allowed on a French toll road. Only the franchised company is allowed to come out to you, they can take you to the nearest exit where your own recovery company takes over. But that is all.

Don't know if things have changed in the last couple of years. Can only relate my own experience. I know the French police control the phones. They contacted the recovery company. The driver spoke to the AA and I was taken off the toll road to the recovery company pound. I was in a car not a motorhome.

Upvote 0

CaravanGuard

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Funster No
we are with caravan guard and our fully comp insurance covers us for europe,,but i guess will reduce to 3rd party so will need get top up,,,but our breakdown only covers us in uk with them......:Sad:

Whilst the motorhome policy provides comprehensive UK cover, we always recommend that customers consider the optional EU cover which includes EU breakdown in 28 countries.

Thanks

Lucie

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
is this a good break down cover quote for france,,,,its from the AA,,,,? or do you folks know better companies to use ?:Sad:

Full cover
Annual
£148.40
Select

Cover includes:
£6,000 claim limit
£1,500 for emergency accommodation We will get your vehicle back to the UK or your destination, if cheaper Up to £50,000* of legal protection after a road accident

If you get annual AA breakdown cover with Safeguard insurance it is only £80 extra and covers UK and Europe - well that's what I pay, and I wouldn't dream of going for any other cover after we were looked after so well when we broke down in France. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had a tyre blowout on the toll road. We had to phone the emergency services and they sent a Recovery truck. They towed us to a safe place and changed the wheel. We had to pay over e200 but at our destination we notified the AA, they gave us a job number and on our return we claimed it all back. If I had used a roadside phone it is easier for the emergency services to locate us but I couldn't see one , un pneu crevee was the problem!
We had to use the AA in France again last year when the sliding door on our van would not close by miles and obviously was not safe to drive or watertight. An englishman turned up in his yellow AA van and sorted it. There are a few teams in the main holiday areas from June til first week in September. Apparently this is very cost effective as lots of minor things they can sort out at the roadside whereas the French mechanics prefer to take the van away to repair and for us motorhomers they then have to pay for our accomodation. We have the AA through Safeguard, waiting to see what they quote for our next year. Good luck:Smile:

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you get annual AA breakdown cover with Safeguard insurance it is only £80 extra and covers UK and Europe - well that's what I pay, and I wouldn't dream of going for any other cover after we were looked after so well when we broke down in France. :thumb:

As far as I'm aware all safeguard motorhome polices include AA cover and not available without it.
My renewal last week was £341 :thumb:

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We have got greenflag , don't know if they are any good but got it through topcashback £107 and £53 cash back so total cost £54 good deal till we find out how good they are, hope we don't have to find out:winky:

I know this is an old thread but I'm struggling lol. Green flag have told me they don't and never have covered campervans or motor homes

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you tried an online quote, put your details in and see what comes up

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Yeah no mention of campervans on green flag.. rac have done me in.. on another thread so won't bore you.. keep hitting height restrictions or specific mention of exclusions for campervans...

Apologies to administer I seem to have put this in more than one thread.. i will try and be better

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Full cover
Annual
£148.40
Select

Cover includes:
£6,000 claim limit

Try ADAC,,,about £70 a year. Covers whole of Europe and MORROCO. BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Matters not who your breakdown cover is with. If you breakdown on a French toll road you are NOT covered. Not many know this.

That is not the case, you are covered by your normal service to the extent that charges for getting you off the toll road by the breakdown service contacted on your behalf by the French police will be reimbursed (subject to terms and conditions) by your normal service who will also take over from the French breakdown service when you have been removed from the toll road.

The fact that the French run a monopoly for toll road recovery does not negate your usual cover, it just means the your usual service provider or their agent is not allowed to provide its services on toll roads.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

How long can you be covered in one trip abroad with that policy? BUSBY.

Upvote 0

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I know this is an old thread but I'm struggling lol. Green flag have told me they don't and never have covered campervans or motor homes
I have personal breakdown cover )Not for me but vehicles :) ) with Green Flag and they recovered me and the wife in our motorhome from Scotland home through he night. We were on our way home from buying it at the time! Not a pleasant journey :)
It doesnt matter what vehicle you are in, and it doesn't matter if its not yours or if your even driving. Not sure if it covers Europe though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back