Booked channel for Christmas markets...but where to go (2 Viewers)

Jul 3, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bought motor home two yrs ago after having caravans for 30 years
We arrived in volkenburge yesterday , site is only 500 yards to the town and Christmas markets in the caves . Quiet a hill to walk up and down but looks nice though . 22 .50 euro a night . . We can see another funster van here so will say hi when we see them

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
We are off to Valkenburg Christmas market next week, Holland.
Stopping at the following camp site which is 500m from the market.
http://www.campingdendriesch.nl/nl/?
Dont know what it is like but will give it a try
We are heading to the same site tomorrow. we will stop at Gravelines or Brugge depending on our arrival time on Wednesday night and head to Valkenburg on Thursday morning. Haven't booked the site but there is an aire quite nearby if it's full. Will leave for home on Sunday morning. When do you arrive?

Allan

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
Hi Allan
We plan to arrive at Valkenburg on Friday 2nd and stop for 4 nights leaving for Bruge on the Tuesday morning.
We may even manage to meet up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The one in Salisbury is pretty good, think of all the fuel money you'd save! :whistle2:

And Manchester. He's probably scared to come this far north but if he did he'd see the biggest Santa in UK and a huge German Market outside the Town Hall that is the equal of any in Europe. What other city has Manchester United and Manchester City ?

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Allan
We plan to arrive at Valkenburg on Friday 2nd and stop for 4 nights leaving for Bruge on the Tuesday morning.
We may even manage to meet up.
@John & Liz We have a 15 plate Carthago with a Funster sticker in the window. Our bar is always open (y)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hi Tigs

Have a lovely trip, wherever you end up I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. As you say it's about the atmosphere as well as the food, beer, hot chocolate, mulled wine, waffles .............................

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You not going too? I know how much you love France :france:

What, walk round a freezing market full of old tat and pretend I am enjoying myself? No thanks.

Anyway I am off to Le Touquet this weekend to pretend I am enjoying myself. Wife likes the shops, daughter likes the Christmas lights and I don't like any of it at all.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
What, walk round a freezing market full of old tat and pretend I am enjoying myself? No thanks.

Anyway I am off to Le Touquet this weekend to pretend I am enjoying myself. Wife likes the shops, daughter likes the Christmas lights and I don't like any of it at all.
you really are a bah humbug aren't you? do you practice or does it come naturally? :roflmto:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009

Won't there be beer and wine as compensation?! And smelly cheese and French bread and Garlic!!! !

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We are heading to the same site tomorrow. we will stop at Gravelines or Brugge depending on our arrival time on Wednesday night and head to Valkenburg on Thursday morning. Haven't booked the site but there is an aire quite nearby if it's full. Will leave for home on Sunday morning. When do you arrive?

Allan
Hi

The only Aire I could find belongs to the same people as the main site and during the Christmas market seems to have the same booking rules. Could you let me know how you get on please?

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
And Manchester. He's probably scared to come this far north but if he did he'd see the biggest Santa in UK and a huge German Market outside the Town Hall that is the equal of any in Europe. What other city has Manchester United and Manchester City ?
I live not far from Salisbury, I used to live in Manchester. Where's your sense of adventure :p

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Won't there be beer and wine as compensation?! And smelly cheese and French bread and Garlic!!! !

I may try the beer but even that isn't very good in France (in my opinion).

Jul 3, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Allan
Were at this site now and booked until Saturday but we have to leave Thursday ( Dur yo illness) so our pitch will be empty. and there is plenty of room on site it's not fully booked so your be ok

Reactions: awg
Jul 3, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Allan
Were here now and there is plenty of room

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Hi

The only Aire I could find belongs to the same people as the main site and during the Christmas market seems to have the same booking rules. Could you let me know how you get on please?
Arrived in Valkenburg and booked into the site for 3 nights. No drama and a lovely view over the town from our pitch. Quite expensive at over 30euros a night and annoyingly showers are 70cents using a token. lovely site and seems very clean.
Allan

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
Just arrived in valkenburg and as Allan says lovely site but a little pricey and irritating 70cents for a 5 min shower. Raining at the moment but we had planned for that.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Went to Maastricht today. just over 10 mins by train and less than 8euros for return ticket from Valkenburg. The Christmas market opened today and is worth a walk round. Tomorrow it will be the Valkenburg caves and parade.

John & Liz

Free Member
Aug 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
Since Sept 2012
Hi Allan we can see you, wave we are in the benimar, thanks for the tip will take a trip on the train

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
20161203_142235.jpg

Tiny part of Valkenburg caves Christmas market.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Update from me.. We got off the train Thursday night and headed for Aachen. Had a short sleep in a motorway aire in Belgium on the way.. No gassing to report... Arrived an Aachen at about 9am and straight to the stellplatz. A bit of sorting and a local cafe for breakfast and we were at the markets by 11

The market is OK but Aachen is a place in a bad way. Homelessness and begging everywhere and as many closed up shops as open ones. The only place there is cheer is the market. The rest of the town doesnt even have Christmas lights. This morning we drive to Maastricht and got a bus from the motorhome stop into a thriving exciting trendy town. The Christmas market was small but perfect. Sleeps now but Brugge tomorrow I think for 3 markets in 3 countries in 3 days..

As long as I can find somewhere to park for the day..

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Tigs, there is plenty of room to park on the ring road around Bruges, on the R30 alongside the canal. We've seen plenty of MHs parked there.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Update from me.. We got off the train Thursday night and headed for Aachen. Had a short sleep in a motorway aire in Belgium on the way.. No gassing to report... Arrived an Aachen at about 9am and straight to the stellplatz. A bit of sorting and a local cafe for breakfast and we were at the markets by 11

The market is OK but Aachen is a place in a bad way. Homelessness and begging everywhere and as many closed up shops as open ones. The only place there is cheer is the market. The rest of the town doesnt even have Christmas lights. This morning we drive to Maastricht and got a bus from the motorhome stop into a thriving exciting trendy town. The Christmas market was small but perfect. Sleeps now but Brugge tomorrow I think for 3 markets in 3 countries in 3 days..

As long as I can find somewhere to park for the day..

We were at Aachen last year and it was a beautiful town, didn't see any beggers there, must be Germany's "open door" policy.

Joe

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks Scouse. Headed for there but as we can off the motorway there was a sign saying free parking and bus for shopping. Waiting for the bus now so with luck it will take us to the market...

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So we are back on the train. 3 markets in three countries in 3 days. Aachen had the best market but Maastricht was best overall due to a good market and beautiful city.

Sleeps wise we liked the stellplatz in Aachen because of the showers and the short walk to town. The stopover in Maastricht was really pretty by the river and would have been our favourite I think had we our own shower on board. Certainly the waste and water facility looked great. Hone now and a week before Christmas with loads left to do but we are 'in the spirit' as they say.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back