Booked channel for Christmas markets...but where to go (1 Viewer)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Hi all

Booked for 15th December coming back 18th..

3 years ago we did Brussels, 2 years ago we did bernkastel keus and Trier, last year we did cologne... both times we have checked in on the French markets en route (Metz and Calais) and were really disappointed.. so where to this year? Bruge gets great reviews but it doesn't look as nice as the German ones.. but then with the exchange rate as it is we are looking to stay a bit closer to the tunnel....

Ideas anyone?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The news tonight showed the Paris Christmas market, looked interesting , lots of lights .

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The news tonight showed the Paris Christmas market, looked interesting , lots of lights .
Thanks Larrynwin. Will have a look but from memory you can't get all that close to Paris on an Aire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Link Removed

Enjoy wherever you decide to go.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The one in Salisbury is pretty good, think of all the fuel money you'd save! :whistle2:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I know it is in the UK but one of the biggest and best is at Wellesbourne Airfield. To the east of Stratford on Avon. Every Saturday 9 - 4pm..... It is certainly big enough.

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Cologne is well worth a look if you plan going that far.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The one in Salisbury is pretty good, think of all the fuel money you'd save! :whistle2:
Ah I knew there was one I missed.. We were disappointed in Gravelines as well.. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
They were setting up the Christmas market at Ypres when we were there earlier this week. It's a lovely town and not far from the tunnel.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Cologne is well worth a look if you plan going that far.

Gravelines is worth a look, much further south Colmar and Strasbourg are also pretty good.

My thinking at the moment is.. Either head for Bruge and hope it is up to scratch with the German markets or head to Strasbourg which is much further to drive with the same hope.

Or.. Hope Ms Tiggs falls asleep as soon as we get off the train and make a mad overnight run for the German border.. Once we are there she's not going to make me turn back now is she.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't know if antiques and bric-a-brac are your thing, but the Waterloo International Brocante market runs every Sunday from very early on in the Mont-Saint-Jean Carrefour car park, and if you're in a MH you can park in the car park overnight beforehand, although trader set up is from 4am, so choose your spot wisely. The nearest alternative MH tolerant overnight parking spot is 10 miles down the road at Nivelles, and it's just a small car park by a main road.

Openings are announced on a monthly basis Link Removed, due to the supermarket wanting to re-develop part of the site.

I spent four hours browsing the stalls on my last visit - it's a biggie and I bagged some real bargains.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
or head to Strasbourg which is much further to drive with the same hope.

Link Removed is worth a look - nicely laid out site (if somewhat devoid of drinking water taps) and very convenient for bus and tram. We visited in October.

There's also an aire but it's further away from bus & tram stops.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My daughter is off on a school trip to Lille market on Thursday.

We have to drop her off at school at 5 am

Oh Please!:mad:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We visited Paris two years ago.

There are at least three Christmas markets there.

We visited the market on the Champs Elysees one night. It was a great atmosphere, lots of food stalls, Christmas lights and fairground rides.

The next night we visited the one at Le Defense. Much more Arts and Crafts but no less good for that.

There are many places to visit for Christmas Markets and we are working our way around them. The only thing we can say is that you should not be disappointed if you go to Paris.(y)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we went to brugge xmas market last year, very dissapointed,, Ypres is a very small market (but we're going again in 2 weeks). they say Lille is the biggest and best. Manchester xmas market is massive but every shop sell the same thing, same as every xmas market.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's all tat anyway.

#savediesel

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
we went to brugge xmas market last year, very dissapointed,, Ypres is a very small market (but we're going again in 2 weeks). they say Lille is the biggest and best. Manchester xmas market is massive but every shop sell the same thing, same as every xmas market.

Strange to say this will be our fourth year exploring continental markets (we do look at UK ones as well of course) and in that time we have only bought 1 item from a market as a gift and no more than a dozen Christmas items full stop. We enjoy the atmosphere, the food and the chance to talk to diverse people's. it really gets us in the Christmas spirit.

Lille does look good and was our first French adventure (pre campervan) so we shall have a look at their web presence ... Thanks for the tip...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Gravelines is late starting, around about the 15th I think

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We are off to Valkenburg Christmas market next week, Holland.
Stopping at the following camp site which is 500m from the market.
http://www.campingdendriesch.nl/nl/?
Dont know what it is like but will give it a try
We have spent the past couple of hours looking at lots and are pretty decided that we will head for Aachen first for a day or so then head over to Valkenberg to see tha caves. We found the same site and I just emailed them to ask if they take bookings for the stopover or just the main site.. you will have to tell us what it is all like.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We are off to Valkenburg Christmas market next week, Holland.
Stopping at the following camp site which is 500m from the market.
http://www.campingdendriesch.nl/nl/?
Dont know what it is like but will give it a try

We are confused again now. This site has come back and said they won't take a booking for one night.. 2 nights minimum and has to be Friday to Sunday... Back to the drawing board...

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Think we've cracked it.. Head for Aachen straight from the tunnel, arrive early Friday am then a kip and head to town. Explore Aachen and stay Friday night.. Depending how good it is head to Maastricht either Sat Am, Sat Pm or Sun am.. Probably Sat Am because we want to see the light trail so need to be there in the dark....

Anyone want to guess if we will get on the stellplatz at either place?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have a great trip what ever you decide and safe travels!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back