Bike Racks on PVCs (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40 COMPASS
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, new (to me) Ducato/Elddis CV40 PVC, I need to carry 2 bikes, and intend sometime in the future to get electric bikes, so thinking of a tow bar mount. Initially to use my Thule tiltable rack for standard bikes, until later getting a swing arm system to carry electric bikes.
Does anyone know if the Thule tilt rack will allow the rear doors to open? And does anyone know if the Elddis CV40 (2021) is pre-wired for a tow bar?
Thanks - Ed

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just as a heads up, we were booked to have a swing out rack attached but found that we didn’t have enough spare payload for it and whatever mounting required, we have no towbar, and bikes. Couldn’t up-plate because of C1 licence problems so had to go without. If you can up plate yours that may be the way to go.
Ours 6.3m on maxi chassis. We put it on a weighbridge.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
the Thule tilt rack Will not tilt enough, it does it enough to just open the one main door and you may get a hand in there to get something small out… it’s usually for cars so the hatchback can open..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does anyone know if the Thule tilt rack will allow the rear doors to open?
No it does not.. but for me, that is not a deal breaker.. there is no pressing need to open back doors when travelling ..

It's a great rack and highly recommend it ..

IMG_1715.jpeg
IMG_1716.jpeg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi, new (to me) Ducato/Elddis CV40 PVC, I need to carry 2 bikes, and intend sometime in the future to get electric bikes, so thinking of a tow bar mount. Initially to use my Thule tiltable rack for standard bikes, until later getting a swing arm system to carry electric bikes.
Does anyone know if the Thule tilt rack will allow the rear doors to open? And does anyone know if the Elddis CV40 (2021) is pre-wired for a tow bar?
Thanks - Ed
My Halfords carrier does when you tilt it back and surprisingly it's easy with two e.bikes on to lift back into the upright position..and coincidently its for sale on Classified on here...Only used for 3 months last year..BUSBY.

OP
OP
E
May 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40 COMPASS
Exp
Since 2017
Hi folks and thanks for your replies. My question about ‘Thule’racks is because I have one. I am concerned about weight, not had the (6m) van on a weighbridge yet, so that might be crucial, gave up C1 licence a few years ago and don’t want to up plate. But I don’t really want to put a rack on the back door - particularly if we go electric, even with batteries off they are heavy.
Still interested to know if my van is pre-wired for a tow bar though?
Thanks again, Ed

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just as a heads up, we were booked to have a swing out rack attached but found that we didn’t have enough spare payload for it and whatever mounting required, we have no towbar, and bikes. Couldn’t up-plate because of C1 licence problems so had to go without. If you can up plate yours that may be the way to go.
Ours 6.3m on maxi chassis. We put it on a weighbridge.
You also have to take into account each axle weight.

Putting the bikes overhanging the rear puts all the weight on the rear axle and lifts some of the weight off the front axle you could be within the total weight but over on the rear axle.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
You also have to take into account each axle weight.

Putting the bikes overhanging the rear puts all the weight on the rear axle and lifts some of the weight off the front axle you could be within the total weight but over on the rear axle.
I weighed my 6.4 Ducati (Hobby Vantana) in touring order with driver, half a tank of diesel, 50 lts water, tables, chairs etc and two ebikes on a Thule rack with a memo van swing on the tow bar. 3400 gross and 1720 rear axle. I haven't up plated as 200 kg of extra payload, for Trude ( she's a lightweight) and food etc should be okay. Main thing for me is that both my axles were well within design and legal limits..

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Our Adria PVC was not pre-wired (I don't think) and we had a Vanstar swing out rack fitted by LNB towbars last week. It weighs about 45kg plus bikes so a hefty piece of kit. The white wire is the alarm loop for the Vanbitz Raptor alarm.
F0DDA6D4-C3FB-4CA7-B215-244C1B28147F_1_201_a.jpeg
1725281B-517A-4885-A876-CC5F711AA70F_1_201_a.jpeg

2F9119E7-F709-4676-B55A-8E616CDB58E2_1_201_a.jpeg
19B7E56C-89D8-4E28-9F05-74C756450F61_1_201_a.jpeg

OP
OP
E
May 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40 COMPASS
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks again for some great feedback ( I love this forum). Having decided I was reluctantly going down the door hung rack route, you have given me pause for thought.
Many comments re axle weights, but inevitably the weight is going to be on the rear one way or the other.
I suppose vehicle length affects rear and front axle weight balance too?
Maybe the idea of a tow bar mount first then adding a swing system arm would be more costly and weigh more than a swing arm from the start? Back to the drawing board!
Thanks yet again, Ed.

Aug 3, 2020
Herefordshire/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Exp
Ribble electric bikes seem to be lighter than most. I have the hybrid and it weighs 13 kg including built-in battery. Their electric road bikes are even lighter.

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Thanks - Ed
You will need a good cover which I found hard to come by plus some serious bike chains. Always travel with the batteries in your garage or motorhome to move the weight between the 2 axles. Electric bikes are a real target for thieves.
I have the tilting Thule on the Landrover and the tailgate works fine but not familiar with the back door you mention. However I envisage it will be fairly impossible to get in when 2 bikes are in the way horizontally unless you are very fit and a contortionist!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
but inevitably the weight is going to be on the rear one way or the other.
As Fragle mentioned, you might be adding 70kg dead weight, but because it's quite a long way behind the rear axle, there's the seesaw effect. It might take 20kg off the front axle and add 90kg to the rear. With a PVC, you're probably ok. But it can catch out long coachbuilds with long garages.

Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
The white wire is the alarm loop for the Vanbitz Raptor alarm.
We also have a Van swing (towbar version) on our PVC. I extended the alarm cable to the other side of the van so it comes out the left door the same side as the VanSwing hinges. This saves having to disconnect it each time you want to get into the back.
(Obviously not an issue if you have chosen a VanSwing with right handed hinge).

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
We also have a Van swing (towbar version) on our PVC. I extended the alarm cable to the other side of the van so it comes out the left door the same side as the VanSwing hinges. This saves having to disconnect it each time you want to get into the back.
(Obviously not an issue if you have chosen a VanSwing with right handed hinge).
Never thought of that! I'll see if the cable will reach the left side. If not I'll contact Vanbitz for a longer cable.

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
Our Thule one didn’t on our IH even with a spacer. We now have an Atera Strada DL3, this slides out and drops down. The DL2 isn’t any good, you have to have the DL3 even for 2 bikes and use the outer 2 spaces. Quite a few of us have it.
As Carolyn says, the Atera Strada DL3 is absolutely a great solution if you want low weight, 2 x ebike carriage and the easy ability to open barn doors. I did months of research for our VW Crafter MK2 self build and after getting a door mounted carrier first with two dreadful mini ebikes (wife fell off on first ride and without helmet would have been hospitalised), decided to dump the lot and fit a towbar with the Atera. It's a brilliant system and much easier to lift bikes onto (now proper standard size) and slide back to own rear doors. You do have to watch axle weights but I upgraded to 3900kgs anyway and fitted rear air suspension, so it works brilliantly for us. It is also far cheaper than any of the 4 or 5 swing away options I looked at (and lighter).
1000012484.jpg
ef4a285c-9bb5-480d-92e7-17b6dc75a6f8-1_all_29345.jpg

Mar 2, 2014
North East
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Thanks - Ed
I have a CV20 (2020) and had a Witter towbar fitted via CAMHC discount code.
As far as I am aware none of the CV range are pre wired for towbars.
I had a Thule easy fold 2 bike carrier I used on the towbar and as others have said it doesn’t tilt sufficient to allow full opening of doors.

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You will need a good cover which I found hard to come by plus some serious bike chains. Always travel with the batteries in your garage or motorhome to move the weight between the 2 axles. Electric bikes are a real target for thieves.
I have the tilting Thule on the Landrover and the tailgate works fine but not familiar with the back door you mention. However I envisage it will be fairly impossible to get in when 2 bikes are in the way horizontally unless you are very fit and a contortionist!
Regarding chains and locks it is where to fasten them..Bike thieves use angle grinders..takes them seconds to cut through an aluminium cycle carrier..BUSBY.

Mar 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Benimar 483 Tessoro
My Halfords carrier does when you tilt it back and surprisingly it's easy with two e.bikes on to lift back into the upright position..and coincidently its for sale on Classified on here...Only used for 3 months last year..BUSBY.
Confirmed, I have just purchased the Halfords bike rack and was pleasantly surprised. Before I had used Thule bike racks but due to the availability of the Thule product I purchased the Halfords one. The Halfords product does tilt back. all the way, it locks both bikes, independently to the rack and tow bar and has handy wheel runners along the length of the rack and clips to tidy the wheel straps. The quality also appears to be very good although it is early days.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
For the Ducato, Boxer and Relay PVCs Thule now do a Velo Swing. Allows the tow bar mounted rack to swing away to the side for door opening, and the towbar (sans rack) can be used for towing purposes. They also do wiring kit and alternative bumper with cut out to suit it. May be an alternative to other swing devices out there?

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995
Our Adria PVC was not pre-wired (I don't think) and we had a Vanstar swing out rack fitted by LNB towbars last week. It weighs about 45kg plus bikes so a hefty piece of kit. The white wire is the alarm loop for the Vanbitz Raptor alarm.
View attachment 876746View attachment 876747
View attachment 876748View attachment 876749
Hia could you do me a favour and measure the folded up extension distance from the rear doors please?
It looks nicely compact I have a rear door mounted at the moment and it just fits in my garage folded up, only trouble is it's 35kg max capacity, I'm assuming your one is 60kg.
Cheers Jeff

BlackIce

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2020
York
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40
Exp
Hi,
I also have a CV40 and fitted a towbar and Thule tiltable bike rack for our 2 ebikes. I can confirm it doesn't tilt enough to open rear doors but is still a great bit of kit. The van is not pre wired for a towbar but is quite easy if you buy the ducatto wiring kit. Incidentally we weighed the van with rack,bikes and full diesel and water it came in at 3200kg.

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa
There is another option which is the Fiamma rack that bolts through the door hinges so does not load the door and allows doors to open even with bikes loaded. It’s rated up to 50kg. So ok for two e-bikes. I do like it for simplicity. Mind you it’s probably no cheaper than a tow bar and swing out arm. And the big advantage of a tow bar rack is the low load height.

IMG_2236.png

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Hia could you do me a favour and measure the folded up extension distance from the rear doors please?
It looks nicely compact I have a rear door mounted at the moment and it just fits in my garage folded up, only trouble is it's 35kg max capacity, I'm assuming your one is 60kg.
Cheers Jeff
Jeff, it's 50cm from the doors to the lighting bar. From the rubber bumpers to the lighting bar its about 13cm less. Image below explains it better. It's max load is 75kg. It may be that we get electric bikes eventually so wanted to take that into account. I may end up up plating to 3900kg, which I can do as a paper exercise, we have C1 licences.
7E802D91-D202-4FE7-A95F-2CAF341846FC.jpeg

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Confirmed, I have just purchased the Halfords bike rack and was pleasantly surprised. Before I had used Thule bike racks but due to the availability of the Thule product I purchased the Halfords one. The Halfords product does tilt back. all the way, it locks both bikes, independently to the rack and tow bar and has handy wheel runners along the length of the rack and clips to tidy the wheel straps. The quality also appears to be very good although it is early days.
Could have saved you £200 there..BUSBY

OP
OP
E
May 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV40 COMPASS
Exp
Since 2017
Hi, tow bar and rack seem to be my best economical choice, but as seen my Thule rack gets in the way - so interested in your Halfords one if it does allow the barn doors on my Ducato to open, watched their video and the latest model seems to.

Apr 14, 2020
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
Exp
Since 1995
There is another option which is the Fiamma rack that bolts through the door hinges so does not load the door and allows doors to open even with bikes loaded. It’s rated up to 50kg. So ok for two e-bikes. I do like it for simplicity. Mind you it’s probably no cheaper than a tow bar and swing out arm. And the big advantage of a tow bar rack is the low load height.

View attachment 877636
Looks good do you have a product number please?

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I think this is it?:

We had something similar on last van. Problem with that style is you have to fix it to the door and it's a long way up to lift a bike, let alone an electric bike. A bike rack for youngsters I reckon!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back