Bewildered on an Aire HELP

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Bernieb65, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Bernieb65

Bernieb65 Read Only Funster

well we made it to France our first trip abroad, Eurotunnel is brilliant. Now the adventure starts. The plan was to head to Spain We had our plans all mapped out but now meeting people here in our fancy French Aire - a supermarket carpark - our plans have gone to pot. HELP what's the best way to get to Benidorm without going on the toll roads. Apparently everyone here is telling us to go down to Nevers and on to Clermont Ferrand. Any ideas would be gratefully accepted. Finishing on a high note the dogs are having a brilliant time and we have decided that Smash potato is back on our menu and much lighter than a spud. Bernie & Gill

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Bernie
    Yes Head for Clemont ,I forget the road numbers from there, it's either 70 or 75 goes over the Millue Viaduct (a must do sometime) cost about 12 euro, free other than that, til you reach the Motorway at the bottom or go on the 34 that will take you down to spain, I have done that route a couple of times good roads. Pete :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  3. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Yep, A75 over Millau Bridge down to Beziers,toll free all the way except small bridge toll but its worth it.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

In my opinion its a MUCH nicer route under the viaduct, down the valley and up the other side. You have a great view of the viaduct from below, if you go over the viaduct you can see nothing and have to pay for the privilege of it.

• Like Like x 9
  5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

An if you drive up to it from underneath you can visit he museum and see how it was built :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. peter marshall

peter marshall

I Paul we stopped in Millaue a couple of years age and visited the viaduct centre very interesting. Pete :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. peter marshall

peter marshall

Yep but a must do drive over the Viaduct, I have done it twice and rearly enjoyed it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Regardless of the Millau Viaduct, that road south from Cleremont Ferrand is an engineering masterpiece, an absolute pleasure to drive and puts our British roads to shame.
    Geoff.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

if you like wild countrys you want to go straight to the Tarn, you can come off at junction 40 of the A75 and cut across country to it by going through La Canourgue (a lovely little town itself). If you follow the main road through the town, there is a turning on the right towards La Malene and Les Vignes which cuts across to the Tarn. It is very impressive as it goes across a the plateau but if you head for "Point Sublime" you suddenly find the magnificent Gorges du Tarn drop away below you. You do this by staying on the same road called the D46 to St.Georges de Levejac where it is then signposted off to the left, there is parking there and a cafe. I wouldn't suggest you stay there overnight though as quite a few people come and go. You can drop down in to the gorges from there and we have overnighted in the riverside car parks off season at La Malene and St.Enimie. St.Chely du Tarn is a delight to see too.There are so many fantastic places around I could write a book! We tend to go off the beaten track to wild camp, the gorges themselves are not the easiest placeide go down the gorge du tarn and then under the viaduct
    the above is from another member on another forum who told me about this and it is truly magnificent

• Like Like x 2
  10. ukbill

ukbill Funster

• Like Like x 1
  11. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

And there is a decent Aire in the town of Millau as well. The MH dump/replenish point is about half a kilometer before the Aire, and charges €6 for water. :Eek!:

The drive over to Narbonne Plage is quite spectacular, and that Aire is right on the beach, with showers, toilets, etc.

Have a cracking trip, but always think of your own personal safety. :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Well !!!!...I Understand you are new to France and French Aires...first trip..and all what you see around you may be a bit of a shock, out of your comfort zone..but:Doh: it seemed you did not do much in the planning stage for French Aires..I don't mean to be negative or nasty.....But are we saying at the first hurdle...a supermarket car park...that's it:shout: shout for help..your planned route has gone out of the window...did you not have back up Aires....also how many supermarket car parks in the UK can you stop on over night ??....these supermarket car parks are fine in France for on route over night stops....did you NOT want to venture far off your route...to Spain ....what Aire are on...what's it's name...if you planned to go onto a supermarket Aire what else was you expecting:Doh:...did you get some Aires books or go on line on camping cars info...did you look on Google maps on street view to look at the Aire or the surrounding area on the Aires you planned......what planning did you actually do...did you ask other funsters for recomendations...did you look on Jim's MHF french Aires site to see what other funsters have said are good Aires.....it is a shame but it seem's to me you have planned two Aires in France close to your route then into Spain??
    Did you NOT want to look around France on your trip down to Spain...Sorry for being abrupt... I am hoping you will look further than a Supermarket car park..
    I am glad you are having a brilliant time " Smash potato is back on our menu " Mmmmm not my scene..... yes you are correct they are much lighter than a spud....bon appétit. :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Mel

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mel

Mel Funster

Only a Yorkshireman could be that harsh without being nasty.

Yes i am an ex Pat from Sheffield.

But its great advise to plan your route most of the time.

You should make the most of France and all it offers to Motorhomes.

But its nice to set off without plans sometimes. But not on your first trip, however i understand you meet people who tell you its beter to go this or that way.

I go to spain via Brive but thats the route i liike .

Most important if it does not feel right to park for the night dont!.

Have a nice trip and enjoy yourself.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  14. Heyupluv

Hi Mel from Mel and a fellow Yorkshireman...Great name you have there ...thanks for those comforting words....I speak as I see it.. as most Yorkshire people do...nowt different there... black is black.. red is red...it's no good saying what lovely hair doo the lady has when it looks a fluffing mess
    I am very thankful to the French for providing these Aires I am thankful to the commune's the village's for looking after and funding them....also this time of year all the camp sites are closed....so it is a good thing there are the Aires:thumb:to stop even though some may have the water turned off due to freezing.
    I hear many many times my fellow country people Brits saying I wish we had Aires in the UK...then you hear people complaining about the Aires ..when they most likely have only tried one or two Aires.....Mmmmm:Doh:..But.this time of year it is better to have plan of something...... NOT a plan of nothing..
    I am just hoping they try a little harder now and enjoy France

We have been on Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of Aires and the wife and myself have tried to help fellow motohomers / fellow Brits as much as we can...and we will carry on doing so....the info is there , it is up to you to use it...Also Scot Jimland has a link...on Aires....I have a Picasa link anybody can look at...Jim MHF has the Aires site...all this info is free...there is the book "All the Aires in France"...there is the internet camping cars info...there are loads of French Aires books
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Heyupluv

I can see Jim the ring leader banning me / throwing me off MHFun for not being nice and polite to fellow funster:Doh:...

• Like Like x 2
  16. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

If you have plenty of time just plan today's journey.

Decide how far to drive and look in the Aire book, or online for a place to stay tonight.

Do the same each day, you may find somewhere else along the way to stopover before your planned destination.

I don't like toll roads but would use one to save time if neccessary - they're not that expensive.

Happy holliday!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Mel

Mel Funster

Mel to Mel

Very true we call a spade a spade.

France is not only good for Aires you are made to feel welcome in every town or village in France.

I have stopped on some very nice Aires
    Some suppermarkets which where basic but safe, + free drinkinkgwater and cheap diesel.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  18. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    We visited the George's when we stayed at Suron sur Rhone nice little place, ( they make the Chausson & Trigano range there ) the camp we stopped at backed on to the Rhone, with the river cruises right behind us. Pete :thumb:

19. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You are obviously on line, so, pull up Google Maps. Ask for a route to Benidorm excluding tolls and follow it. It will be a good route.

20. Heyupluv

That is very true Mel:thumb: