Better fit with Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro awning

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by janeb, May 27, 2016.

1. janeb

janeb Funster

After much thought and asking Kampa at various shows (to no avail), we have put another strip of awning rail under the Fiamma wind-out casing, hoping to achieve a closer fit to the van. We know that the 2016 Kampa air awning has an improved fit, but there is no way we could afford to change our 2015 model just like that !! So, with trepidation and not being keen to start drilling holes into the van body, (eeek!) we experimented with double sided tape and some awning rail, sticking it into position onto the underneath of the casing first then winding the Fiamma in and out to see the clearance possibility. Great, so off with the tape and then using longer and shorter pop rivets where space inside the casing allows, it was up and running. We are now in Cornwall and have a perfect close fitting with the awning, yay !! I know I have seen somewhere that another funster put rail under his Fiamma casing, but it was some time ago and never saw anyone else that had ever done it. Also found it reasonable to reach with small steps, rather than winding out the Fiamma so far to insert the beading.

Also taken tip from another funster and converted the carousel under the sink in our Swift Bolero 712 to pull out drawers, so much better! Thanks for the tip, think his name was Graham ??

• Like Like x 6
  2. lorger

lorger Funster

We have a kampa air awning and although only tried it in the back garden several times for practice we have found it fits far better with the over the roof kit

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

As for attaching it, my plan for our next trip is to wind awning right out, put legs down, attach at nice working height, then inflate the awning, then retract it. It wont help the fit but might remove the strain on the awning

As for fitting we have the vertical poles as extras which help a little but often fall out, very poor fitting into a fabric boot

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

also have the Kampa Air awning..

my problem is the wind out awning is too far back which means the hab door is outside the awning... not idea.. so may fit a rail on th evan wall further forward so it fits over the hab door..

or as mentioned. .use over the roof kit..

5. scotjimland

do you have a link for the kit.. ?

6. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

7. scotjimland

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  8. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Is there an over roof kit for motor rally air pro?

9. scotjimland

not that I am aware of.. and thinking about it, the awing wouldn't fit properly without using a rail..

10. lorger

lorger Funster

Bought it from these guys Jim http://www.campingandleisure.co.uk/ also bought awning from them.

Before buying the kit I made one with some old thin tent poles and rope just to see how it would sit over the top and it is ten times better,

11. scotjimland

this shows my problem.. why I want to fit a rail under the wind-out awning ... and further forward ..over the roof straps wouldn't work DSCF2324.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

thanks.. but we have different Kampa awnings... not possible to use roof kit with a fixed awning

13. lorger

lorger Funster

Jim the kit I bought is similar to the awning one, it has a figure or 8 that goes on driveaway then a bit of material same as awning slides into other side of figure of 8 and that bit has 4 quick release buckles on it that attach to straps. I can take pic of it if you want. It will fit any driveaway with a bead that goes through F8

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Might not be what you need but here is the kit

http://www.campingandleisure.co.uk/

Link only takes to home page do a search for driveaway kit it's called Columbus or similar.

15. scotjimland

thanks...
    this is what I need to fit .. awning rail..

[​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. janeb

janeb Funster

In my original post, as I said, we have the fixed Kampa awning, not the driveaway one with throwover straps. The Motor Rally Air pro fixed awning is much like a caravan awning, but Kampa failed to recognise that the airbeams that should press against the van body to perfect the fit , actually don't in practice. This is due to the fact that pretty much all Fiamma (type) awnings with a channel are proud of the van body by at least 1" or more, thus preventing a close fit. We are quite sure that they made the Motor Rally Air Pro with extra height to fit motorhomes instead of caravans, without thinking about the extra length of the air beams to allow for the prodtruding Fiamma casings. Why else have Kampa altered the 2016 model "allowing for a better fit" ? By putting another awning channel on the underneath of the Fiamma casing, it has brought the awning that much closer to the van body and made all the difference to us.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Charlie Farley

Charlie Farley Funster

image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok so here's my take on the whole Kampa "non" fitting motor air pro expensive awning. Having had an Autotrail where the omnister awning is rebated into the body the Kampa 2015 model fitted flush with the air tubes hard against the van. Perfect. Now we have a Dethleffs i7150 DTM with a protruding omnister 8000 6m canopy. After a great deal of thought, research & lengthy conversations with Kampa about the fit of the "new" 2016 model we bit the bullet and bought one. Oh dear "miss selling" springs to mind No the air tubes don't fit against the van as I was reliability informed, there is a 75mm gap this can be seen in the photo. There is however extra padding and material to enable the supplied poles to get an "almost" close fit.
    My solution should I decide to keep the awning is to make a narrow double beaded awning rail. The new piece would slide into the existing channel, the cassette could then be closed fully leaving the "new" bead exposed. This needs to be long enough (approx 200mm) to allow the air tubes to push tight against the van. Hey presto, no fixing of an awning rail. Could be a very handy option if it works, which I'm sure it will.

18. janeb

janeb Funster

Sounds good to us ! Will look forward to new pics, should you decide to do it. Like yourselves, we were quite disappointed by the shrugging of Kampa's shoulders re this poor fitting when you have a Fiamma type awning that stands a bit proud of the body of the van. Not very happy with the idea of "filler pieces" either, I have made some but went ahead with the extra awning rail pop riveted to the underside of the casing. It does work well, we tried it out at Spring Bank Holiday and did not have any problem, it brings the airbeams to a tighter close fit, as they should be! We still think that the pattern for these awnings has been taken straight from a caravan, where the awning channel is on the body, all Kampa have done is make it taller to fit a motorhome.

19. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Personally I think the old fashioned poles are best.

I can't think of anything permanently filled with air that is very good/ reliable except for tyres.

@Tootles will probably review his blow up doll, but I bet that gets a bit deflated as well with " use"

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. janeb

janeb Funster

Ha ha ! especially MPs.....

• Like Like x 1