Which is the best route?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
All depends where abouts in Italy you are going. North then through Germany and Austria, east side then through France and through Mont Blanc tunnel

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
We did it years ago. France then a tunnel into Italy. The Mont Blanc was closed because of a big lorry fire.
It depends on whether you have an end point you need to get to quickly or you are going to have the time to take in life's great mysteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For Italy the 'best' route starts at Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry.
If you get the night ferry, you sleep on the way over, and get off in the morning.
You will be on the (free) German Autobahns in time for a late breakfast.

The other (arguably slower and) more expensive route is via Calais and the (tolled) Route de Soleil .....

(But if you are starting from say Cornwall or Scotland then maybe the Plymouth or Hull ferry may be a better option)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
We travelled Bastogne - Lux - Metz - Colmar - Lucern - Gotthard Tunnel - Italy / Lake Garda.
On return, Peschiera del Garda to Innsbruck to Fussen onto romantic road with a couple of stops enroute to Maastricht & Ghent then home.

Personally, I wouldn't bother stopping at Sankt Goar again but Heidelberg and Ghent were worth a revisit.

We travelled in summer though, so not sure how you may be affected with weather in April but would imagine that if there is snow still, the main routes would be clear.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I remember the Mont Blanc tunnel costing a fortune when we used it.

Oct 25, 2022
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Where are you starting from and going to in Italy? Did you want to use Toll Roads?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are going to the West side of Italy, cut across the top of France and cross into Switzerland at Basel. Follow the A2 through the Gotthard tunnel and cross into Italy at Como. Much quicker and cheaper than going via France and the Frejus or Mont Blanc tunnels.
That's the route we took.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I did Dover, Calais, Belgium, Luxembourg (fill up with fuel here it's usually cheaper then the rest of Western Europe) Germany, Austria, Italy (lake Garda) try to avoid Milan if you can it's a drivers nightmare :giggle:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The O.P. has not said where he is departing from so how can members advise on a best route. ???? Also, there is no response from him/her either. My mind boggles !!

Oct 25, 2022
Infinity and beyond
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo I 726
Exp
A very long time
We have done Plymouth Santander ferry, down to Barcelona. Then ferry to Civitavecchia!
We’ve done Portsmouth & Plymouth to Santander but what’s the Barcelona to Civitavecchia ferry like? Planning an Italy trip and just weighing up different routes.

Aug 3, 2020
Herefordshire/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Exp
Also going to Italy later this month and the responses above have been useful- thanks. I'm heading for the hills just beyond Modena so thinking Colmar - Lucern - Gotthard Tunnel- Como - Modena. Not in a sprint to get to Modena, but not planning any lengthy/major stops on the way. Have taken the car several times before, but this is the first one in the van. Does this route sound sensible?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We’ve just done Dieppe, Orleans, Lyon, Grenoble, Briançon and then onto the Autostrada west of Turin. Overnight stops at Courville sur Eure, Chasselay and Cesana Torinese (all on S4S). Varied route - non-toll in France - but not particularly fast.

Oct 25, 2022
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
Also going to Italy later this month and the responses above have been useful- thanks. I'm heading for the hills just beyond Modena so thinking Colmar - Lucern - Gotthard Tunnel- Como - Modena. Not in a sprint to get to Modena, but not planning any lengthy/major stops on the way. Have taken the car several times before, but this is the first one in the van. Does this route sound sensible?
That is the route we have taken twice a year for about 18 years now.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We‘ve done pretty much the same route last week. Visited Strasbourg and Lucerne on the way to Lake Maggiore, was all straightforward.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
So, did you go and which way did you go......🤔

We turn left at the end of the street, drive 9km to Austria and then decide which pass to take, Brenner, Felbertaun or Großgockner.....😁

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
For Italy the 'best' route starts at Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry.
If you get the night ferry, you sleep on the way over, and get off in the morning.
You will be on the (free) German Autobahns in time for a late breakfast.

The other (arguably slower and) more expensive route is via Calais and the (tolled) Route de Soleil .....

(But if you are starting from say Cornwall or Scotland then maybe the Plymouth or Hull ferry may be a better option)
This is a excellent route overnight Harwich to the Hook, and maybe not the shortest depending on where you live, but after trying other routes, nothing compares and I do like a change, we have been using this route for 11 years now to the Adriatic side of Italy.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We are thinking Coquelles, stop Chalons en Champagne, Besancon, stop Yverdon les Bains, round Lucerne and through the Simplon Pass to Maggiore. Never done it before so who knows.

We don't normally book, but the sites on Maggiore are very busy so have booked. So have to do the route in three days but I think we will use the toll roads (again unusual for us).

Reactions: DBK
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We are thinking Coquelles, stop Chalons en Champagne, Besancon, stop Yverdon les Bains, round Lucerne and through the Simplon Pass to Maggiore. Never done it before so who knows.

We don't normally book, but the sites on Maggiore are very busy so have booked. So have to do the route in three days but I think we will use the toll roads (again unusual for us).
We are at Camping Parisi at the moment and it worth booking as full when we arrived. Would recommend lake side pitches if you get the chance as the views are brilliant.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Remember you will need a vignette for Switzerland. :)

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We are at Camping Parisi at the moment and it worth booking as full when we arrived. Would recommend lake side pitches if you get the chance as the views are brilliant.Camping Parisi is w
We have booked Camping Parisi but at the time of booking couldn't get lakeside. We will definitely ask and pay more though.

What is the weather like, the forecast apps suggest a lot of rain?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back