LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a transverse fixed bed in our Globecar and it's very comfy and gives us oodles of storage space underneath for our inflatable canoes, paddles and other required kit plus bikes, levellers, spare toilet cassette, etc, etc ... if we didn't have this space to put it all we couldn't take it!

Regardless of the storage we don't view the bed itself as wasted though as it is doubles up as another lounging area which is great, having a van with just one 'room' simply would not suit us at all.

The garage under our fixed bed is great and I am not sure if we could manage without it now.

I can and have lounged quite happily sitting on the fixed bed, back against the bulkhead with a wedge pillow / cushion behind me and pillows under my knees.

Most nights I don't have to get up in the early hours, but when I do and end up crawling over him he usually doesn't even wake up :) I sleep better in the van than I do at home.

Jun 29, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 966M
Exp
since 2010
First motorhome had rear lounge so had to make up beds, we now have a Autostratus RG with 7ft fixed transverse bed, bliss for otherhalf whose feet does not touch the wall. Much easier.

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all my first post.

We have just sold our 6 berth Bailey 765 with a rear lounge and bought a 4 berth Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC, at 6.36 meters. The Fairford is the same layout as our old Bailey 765 which we like ie the Fairford has two lounges a front and a rear lounge. We leave the rear lounge made up as a transverse double bed for the wife, which honestly is huge - I do mean the bed not and the wife!! The front lounge also converts to a single/ double bed, which in both set ups is also huge as well. I am a 6 footer and can stretch full length on it and made up as a single bed it is still very wide and I don't fall off!! When we entertain guests, which is not that often, we unmake the rear lounge bed and revert back to lounge seating and then remake the bed when they have gone. We find this a very flexibleliving arrangement as we do not ZZZZ together - I snore like a trooper. Another good point is that the front lounge seating is very flexible and two different seating layouts can be used. We were quite concerned that downsizing to a PVC might be a bad decision space wise and bed wise, but now we are living with it we are doing just fine. The worktop/ food preparation area is bigger than in our 6 berth and hard to believe, but true. Ok, we lose some length and width, but not as much as to make a massive difference. Under bed storage/ seating is very good for a 6.36 meter PVC. Our thoughts about downsizing were influenced by it had to be a full 4 berth with two double beds and 4 travel seats for when we introduce the grandkids to motorhoming, and also the fact that we could use it off site/s more easily than our other massive great motorhome. In the end it's a personal choice and we are happy we did it. Hope I have not drifted off post too much and happy touring to all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
@fairford rambler
Excellent first post, and
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
But it is quite good fun having to clamber over your bedmate....;);)
that depends on your bedmate, trust me:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We have a Island bed in a Chausson 718 XLB (XLB extra large bed ) when we first saw it at the last Oct . Nec. show we nearly didn't look at it because it had a fairly high door to the garage on the O/S , our thoughts were the bed will be high and we would not be able to sit up in bed to read /drink, but to our delight you can hand wind the bed height up and down, this gives us the option of filling the garage quite high , but what we do is wind the bed up high to make it easy to load or unload the garage and then lower the bed to the exact height we want , when you lower the bed it can come down past the top of the garage door if you want it too, yes you loose relaxing room , the dining table is way too large , the build quality is not the best, part supply wants sorting ,but we love the design and it works for us.

Tony A.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Twin fixed singles at the back over bags of drawer and cupboard space. Easy centre steps up to both(lit at night). Steps are shoe lockers. Beds with memory foam. Both have reading lights. Large garage underneath. Bathroom door converts whole rear into a bathroom/shower/dressing room. Mrs McHood and the cat love it, all sleep like logs, especially the cat!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back