LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Our Rapido as got two singles, and bathroom right across the back, we also have drop down bed which we have never used , removed mattress, so use for storage chairs, step ladder, silver screens, etc, getting back to the single beds, they are not wasted during the day because they double up as day beds/lounger, the backs lift up to give a nice comfortable place to read with your feet up sitting up straight or (ish) your choice.(y)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Having to constantly change things into other things in our old VW Kombi led us to go for fixed beds in our first MH, but we opted for overcab. That's now become too much of a faff so the next MH has a fixed rear bed over a large boot, which suits us. I don't consider a bed to be wasted space if we can sit up at a table somewhere else. Swivel chairs in the cab are the great space saver.
We've done exactly the same thing.now happy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I sleep on the inside and have to clamber at least once a night over my husband - he always say Helloooo in a really dirty way , which then gives me the giggles which makes it even more difficult to do

oh, thank you, that did make me laugh!! :LOL:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Yes!!
We had supposedly 3 berth Autotrial with French bed, horrendous never again lost a lot of money, bed is only suitable for one because of cutoff.
We take tape measure now if we're looking at vans, some beds cut off earlier than others but all corner beds cut off, same as those new all round beds, be very careful there due to both corner cut offs.
We have swift bolero and it takes us 2 minutes to make bed up to huge king size, best bed we have had, I still can't see why I would but huge motor home to carry bed around all day?
Suppose it's better than carrying around huge bathroom! Least your in your bed for 8hrs rather than shower for 8mins.

Agreed..

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have a U shaped lounge and an over the cab bed, Chris sleeps over the cab in the big double giving her all the room she wants and I use the lounge bed as a single, taking out the side cushions gives me plenty of space, I get up in the morning without disturbing Chris, perfect situation.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
oh, thank you, that did make me laugh!! :LOL:

Not as much as this did though:LOL:

"Our van was twin singles when we bought it but didn't like the loneliness of singles so converted it to a large transvestite, I never see it as wasted space as it has a large garage underneath(y)" from @funflair :ROFLMAO:

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
On our third van now, our previous two had overcab beds and rear lounges which we made up every night unless we were abroad in the sun then we just left it made up as we spent most of our time out doors. After much research and soul searching we now have fixed singles which suits us fine and we have the option of a very large double if we are feeling amorous!!

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
I luv this site isent healthy that we all have opinions and are all different.
Can I ask one more thing thou because I think I got it that some like fixed beds but do those vans have nice size setties as well? I mean ones you can come in and put your feet up?
Yes a good nights sleep is very important but a nice size lounge is equally I would of thought?
I couldn't bear the thought of only being able to sit bolt upright in the diner area all the time!!!
Sooooo unless your going for 8mtr plus surly something has to give?
Can't imagine doing lanes of Padstow in long van like that just to have permanent bed?
It's great reading everyone's thoughts

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
My favourite layout was on our Autotrail Savannah which had 2 fixed singles at the back and 2 sofas at the front with a small round table on a boom which we could swing out and eat our meals off without havng to put a table up each time.
used-autotrail-frontier-svannah-motorhome-u2479_028.jpg

used-autotrail-frontier-svannah-motorhome-u2479_044.jpg

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have two very nice seats in the front that recline with foot rests and a table for drinks and can always make us of the great outdoors. How long do you spend sitting inside as against sleeping. Crap nights sleep and you don't have a very good day.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Yes, we have used used ours as singles a few times too. When made up its massive but the clamber over the misses to go to the loo is a pain.

How big is the wife ? Do you need a ladder ? :LOL:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Mine will be a 6m PVC with a fixed bed at the back - quite happy to relax/recline on there.
The dinette with the upright travel seat, converts into a third bed [table removed], it can be adjusted to any position from bolt upright to fully flat - thus can be used as a "chaise longue" [oooh get 'im, posh].
Then of course there are the two cab swivel fully adjustable captains seats.
The toilet seat does not recline however.

So I am confident that even with a fixed bed in a small van, the seating options are sufficient.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not as much as this did though:LOL:

"Our van was twin singles when we bought it but didn't like the loneliness of singles so converted it to a large transvestite, I never see it as wasted space as it has a large garage underneath(y)" from @funflair :ROFLMAO:

Oh yes, in the N+B owners club this is the official name now:LOL: we were doing a factory tour with Cecile the English speaking guide, somebody asked why an Arto did not have a side window Cecile stuck her head inside and then declared "ah it's because it's s transvestite bed"
Basically she had translated "transversal" to quer which is the German word and then at some point the German "quer" got translated back to English transvestite(y)

Martin

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We were lucky in that our present 'van (our first) has a layout (twin singles) that we both love.
It wasn't meant to be the first choice when we first went looking but in the space of four days and countless 'vans being perused, as soon as we tried it, we knew we had made the right choice.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
we have a u shape lounge and just have used it as single beds , less hassle .takes less space up. When we had a caravan we had a double and I slept near the window it was a pain climbing over OH to get out.
We do the same with 2 singles and I took out the U shaped cushion and put a chest of drawers there instead. We had an island bed in our last caravan and although it was nice not to make the bed it used up a lot of space.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have a fixed rear French bed and a pull down bed both doubles. One each. Perfect nights sleep for us both. Plenty of space in the cab and the ability to nap in the day time. Win, win oh yes! No making up of beds on a nightly basis either!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I may be in a minority but we love our french bed layout. It is about 6foot 4 long and quite wide. I sleep at the cut off side and don't notice it. There is a corner that attaches and folds under the bed so there is no cut off if that is used. We have never used it and think we might get it removed at our next service.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We have a high transverse bed across the back, over the boot/garage. The bed is plenty long and wide enough. Yes the wife does have to clamber over me to get out but it doesn't happen very often. I'm normally first up to make the tea and coffee. Somehow I also feel more secure being higher up. We can leave the windows open without worrying about anyone trying to peek in etc. We also have a double bed over the driver in the capucine and the table folds down into another double bed. So far climbing the ladder to get into bed is not a problem. An island bed might be nice but then we would loose boot space. its always a compromise.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Our next motorhome a Globecar Campscout is advertised as the largest beds in the industry, 2000mm x 2000mm and all that storage below and I will be able to sell our trailer.

John.
But you can't necessarily use in for storage because of the weight limit.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
As an ex tent/folding camper we went for the fixed bed arrangement as
¡

It saves any hassle if you fancy a lie down.

Anyone who walks a dog last thing or uses a tent can hear the band crash thump of beds being assembled in caravans and motorhomes.

No thank you, fixed bed every time

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Anyone who walks a dog last thing or uses a tent can hear the band crash thump of beds being assembled in caravans and motorhomes.
Yeah a likely story ;) ... we all know you're the one who likes to walk round the caravan/campers listening to the noise ... not necessarily of the beds being 'made' but the 'creaking' caused by activities taking place in them! :D2 :LOL: :X3:

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Mine will be a 6m PVC with a fixed bed at the back - quite happy to relax/recline on there.
The dinette with the upright travel seat, converts into a third bed [table removed], it can be adjusted to any position from bolt upright to fully flat - thus can be used as a "chaise longue" [oooh get 'im, posh].
Then of course there are the two cab swivel fully adjustable captains seats.
The toilet seat does not recline however.

So I am confident that even with a fixed bed in a small van, the seating options are sufficient.

Same layout as our Autocruise Accent, rear lounge that makes up to be a transverse bed which we will leave made up with a double bed memory foam topper on, very comfy:)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive had caravans with french beds and make them up beds ,when we started looking for our moho,we tried a multitude of layouts and kept going back to the Island bed .We do not regret our desision ,we also have an electric over cab drop down bed which has never been used.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Our next motorhome a Globecar Campscout is advertised as the largest beds in the industry, 2000mm x 2000mm and all that storage below and I will be able to sell our trailer.

John.
We already have a Campscout & I'd buy the trailer off you if only I had somewhere to store it. Nearly all our underbed storage is occupied by an electric wheelchair.

But you can't necessarily use in for storage because of the weight limit.
Should be ok. Even with 120kg of wheelchair in ours, we can pack for 6 weeks away & still be legal. And uprating a Campscout is only a paper exercise if your driving licence allows you to go over the 3500kg limit.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes!!
We had supposedly 3 berth Autotrial with French bed, horrendous never again lost a lot of money, bed is only suitable for one because of cutoff.
We take tape measure now if we're looking at vans, some beds cut off earlier than others but all corner beds cut off, same as those new all round beds, be very careful there due to both corner cut offs.
We have swift bolero and it takes us 2 minutes to make bed up to huge king size, best bed we have had, I still can't see why I would but huge motor home to carry bed around all day?
Suppose it's better than carrying around huge bathroom! Least your in your bed for 8hrs rather than shower for 8mins.
We have a 6m A Class with drop down bed so no making up of beds - did that for years on a boat, and would never buy a van where the bed had to be made up (and put down) every day again. It has a huge bathroom and we love it - separate roomy shower, full size wardrobe and floor to ceiling shelves. It can be closed off so we can shower and get dressed in plenty of room, without having To pull the blinds up in the whole van. Not everyones cup of tea - but each to his own. We love it and, for us, that's all that matters. (y)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Absolutely each to their own but if you have a rear lounge that you leave made up to a bed with some storage underneath why not go for fixed 'tranny' bed or singles with huge storage underneath in the way of a garage.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lots of fixed bed fans on here so if you were ordering from new would you delete the drop down bed in favour of full wrap around cupboards?

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back