Bed leg adjusters savaged

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by vin0114, Feb 18, 2016.

1. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

In one of lockers in my latest van I found the remains of 3 of the bedleg adjustable feet. So after spending a few fruitless hours searching the net for replacements I made my own repairs. This one of them pre-repair: leg 01 DSCF4535.JPG
    The original nut sealed in plastic that allows the adjustment has to be removed and this was the cause of the destruction. The manufacturers had coated the threads above the nut to stop the adjustment beyond that point with locktiite. So Joe blogs wanted a little more height so with a spanner wound the lower nut relentlessly destroying the plastic seal. He repeated this stupidy on three of the legs:mad:

The simple repair involved getting a length of oversize timber then chamfering the entry end then hammering into place within the bed leg. Once done, sawed off at base of the leg and drilled out with a 1/4" drill then formed a thread by using a similar threaded bolt wound into the hole. Oringal feet wound in, jobe done. bed legsDSCF4530.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mi58ck

Mi58ck Read Only Funster

Same thing happened on ours,I welded a tapped block on ,then sprayed grey to match.Better than new

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Good ideas gents,(y)

4. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Washer above the bolt would help ... (y)

5. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

That was the way to go but no welder or tap set, why the makers used locktite is beyond me, it took a vice and alot of effort to remove the locked on nuts. Without the locktite these units would never fail.