Bed leg adjusters savaged

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by vin0114, Feb 18, 2016.

  1. vin0114

    vin0114 Funster

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2014
    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    659
    Location:
    Sheffield
    In one of lockers in my latest van I found the remains of 3 of the bedleg adjustable feet. So after spending a few fruitless hours searching the net for replacements I made my own repairs. This one of them pre-repair: leg 01 DSCF4535.JPG
    The original nut sealed in plastic that allows the adjustment has to be removed and this was the cause of the destruction. The manufacturers had coated the threads above the nut to stop the adjustment beyond that point with locktiite. So Joe blogs wanted a little more height so with a spanner wound the lower nut relentlessly destroying the plastic seal. He repeated this stupidy on three of the legs:mad:

    The simple repair involved getting a length of oversize timber then chamfering the entry end then hammering into place within the bed leg. Once done, sawed off at base of the leg and drilled out with a 1/4" drill then formed a thread by using a similar threaded bolt wound into the hole. Oringal feet wound in, jobe done. bed legsDSCF4530.JPG
     
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mi58ck

    Mi58ck Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2012
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    91
    Location:
    Worcester
    Same thing happened on ours,I welded a tapped block on ,then sprayed grey to match.Better than new
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

    Badknee Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2014
    Messages:
    3,642
    Likes Received:
    15,229
    Location:
    notloB
    Good ideas gents,(y)
     
  4. Charlie

    Charlie Funster

    Joined:
    May 16, 2015
    Messages:
    2,228
    Likes Received:
    2,577
    Location:
    Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
    Washer above the bolt would help ... (y)
     
  5. vin0114

    vin0114 Funster

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2014
    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    659
    Location:
    Sheffield
    That was the way to go but no welder or tap set, why the makers used locktite is beyond me, it took a vice and alot of effort to remove the locked on nuts. Without the locktite these units would never fail.
     
Loading...

Share This Page